The truth about cables !

Old October 8th 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default The truth about cables !

On 7 Oct 2020 13:41:58 -0000, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Brutus > wrote:
>>>

>>By the by Cardas speculates that electrons are not traveling thru the wire, but that they pulse
>>(bump each other) sending the signal through.??
>>

>It's not speculation. By the end of the 19th century it became clear that
>electron flow was much slower than the speed of a wave travelling through
>a wire. This is the discovery that pretty much started the whole field of
>solid state physics.

Black body radiation leading to quantum theory and then to the transistor is more relevant
to the start of solid state physics.

>Thinking of it as electrons bumping one another isn't really all that
>accurate a model; electrons aren't physical things that occupy a constant
>space. But it's a reasonable enough way to think of it and good enough for
>engineering purposes.

Don't forget the wave-particle duality, especially at the electron level. Electrons are
indeed particles with momentum and charge. They are moving and colliding with atoms during current
flow. Due to their momentum and quantity, the electrons can physically move the atoms of
the conductor. This phenomenon is the most serious wear-out and failure mechnism of microcircuits.
it also occurs in all conductors, such as house wiring (or speaker wires), but isn't noticed due to the
relative current densities as compared to those in a microcircuit.
Old October 8th 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/10/2020 5:14 am, Roy W. Rising wrote:

>> "Did you like the tempos?" "Oh, I liked all the tempos, especially yours."
>> --scott
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> Their 1959 "See You in September" gives me warm memories.
>
> ~ Roy "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong."

Never heard (or of) it. Now just had to look it up.

First impression is that the male-voice chorus is out in a different
part of the building ;- )

geoff !
Old October 9th 20, 05:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:30:26 PM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
> On 9/10/2020 5:14 am, Roy W. Rising wrote:
> >
> >> "Did you like the tempos?" "Oh, I liked all the tempos, especially yours."
> >> --scott
> >> --
> >> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> > Their 1959 "See You in September" gives me warm memories.
> >
> > ~ Roy "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong."
> >

> Never heard (or of) it. Now just had to look it up.
>
> First impression is that the male-voice chorus is out in a different
> part of the building ;- )
>
> geoff !

It's a male group. The four voices are on-mic throughout. The lead vocal 'steps in' a little during the solos. I really can't understand your impression.

~ Roy "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong."
Old October 10th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2020 5:17 am, Roy W. Rising wrote:

>>> Their 1959 "See You in September" gives me warm memories.
>>>
>>> ~ Roy "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong."
>>>

>> Never heard (or of) it. Now just had to look it up.
>>
>> First impression is that the male-voice chorus is out in a different
>> part of the building ;- )
>>
>> geoff !

> It's a male group. The four voices are on-mic throughout. The lead vocal 'steps in' a little during the solos. I really can't understand your impression.
>
> ~ Roy "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong."

Well it was only Youtube on a laptop, but to me it sounded like the
others were kicked out to another room in the choruses.

Maybe stepping up caused the effect, which I noticed, and which by your
signature definition is 'wrong'.

Old October 10th 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

geoff wrote:
> https://www.prosoundweb.com/revealin...io-wire-cable/
>

> geoff

" ... to avoid the debilitating nature of skin effects...."

--
Les Cargill
Old October 10th 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Ralph Barone wrote:
> Ty Ford > wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 9:15:22 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>>> https://www.prosoundweb.com/revealin...io-wire-cable/
>>>
>>> geoff

>> Sadly, some people will actually believe this.
>>
>> Ty Ford
>>

> The part about placing your amplifier above your speakers is clearly wrong.
> In a copper wire, the free electrons each weigh about 118,000 times LESS

.... if they "weigh" at all. I actually do not recall if they have
weight, or just mass.

> than the ions in the stationary copper lattice. Because of this, electrons
> tend to float in the denser atoms. Therefore, for “fast” bass, you should
> put the amp BELOW the speakers, so that the electrons can float upwards.
>
> I tell you, there are so many misconceptions out there...

"Ladies and gentlemen, attention please
Come in close so everyone can see
I got a tale to tell
A listen don't cost a dime
And if you believe that we're gonna get along just fine" -
Snake Oil, Steve Earle.

Snake oil is an important component of Americana. Wasn't for
snake oil...

--
Les Cargill
Old October 10th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Trevor wrote:
> On 7/10/2020 3:44 am, Don Pearce wrote:
>
>> I'm not a fan of fast bass. I find the last few bars of the tune lack
>> a certain depth when the bass player has already packed up and gone
>> home.

> Yep, I could never understand why anybody would want the bass player to
> play faster than the rest of the group anyway? Or the drummer. Keep in
> time people!

James Jamerson much?

--
Les Cargill

Old October 10th 20, 06:37 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2020 2:41 pm, Les Cargill wrote:
> Ralph Barone wrote:
>> Ty Ford > wrote:

>>> Sadly, some people will actually believe this.
>>>
>>> Ty Ford
>>>

>> The part about placing your amplifier above your speakers is clearly
>> wrong.
>> In a copper wire, the free electrons each weigh about 118,000 times LESS

> ... if they "weigh" at all.* I actually do not recall if they have
> weight, or just mass.
>
>> than the ions in the stationary copper lattice. Because of this,
>> electrons
>> tend to float in the denser atoms. Therefore, for “fast” bass, you should
>> put the amp BELOW the speakers, so that the electrons can float upwards.
>>
>> I tell you, there are so many misconceptions out there...
>>

> "Ladies and gentlemen, attention please
> Come in close so everyone can see
> I got a tale to tell
> A listen don't cost a dime
> And if you believe that we're gonna get along just fine" -
> Snake Oil, Steve Earle.
>
> Snake oil is an important component of Americana. Wasn't for
> snake oil...

Not electrical, but physical. My self-built LS3-5As are lined not with
bituminous sheet, but lead sheet. Not so good for light music, but just
GREAT for Heavy Metal !

Old October 10th 20, 08:35 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:41:41 -0500, Les Cargill >
wrote:

>> The part about placing your amplifier above your speakers is clearly wrong.
>> In a copper wire, the free electrons each weigh about 118,000 times LESS

>... if they "weigh" at all. I actually do not recall if they have
>weight, or just mass.

If they have mass, and they are in a gravitational field, then they
have weight.

Old October 10th 20, 11:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/10/2020 8:35 pm, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:41:41 -0500, Les Cargill >
> wrote:
>
>>> The part about placing your amplifier above your speakers is clearly wrong.
>>> In a copper wire, the free electrons each weigh about 118,000 times LESS

>> ... if they "weigh" at all. I actually do not recall if they have
>> weight, or just mass.

> If they have mass, and they are in a gravitational field, then they
> have weight.

Boy, you've got to carry that weight ...