Anything you think was consistently done better in the past in thepro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

Old August 26th 20, 05:48 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past in thepro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of recording of material for mass consumption.

Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop, classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or do you think audio recording is at its zenith now?
Old August 26th 20, 06:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 26/08/2020 2:54 pm, geoff wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 4:48 pm, wrote:
>> I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of recording
>> of material for mass consumption.
>> Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop,
>> classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find
>> lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or do
>> you think audio recording is at its zenith now?

> Recording technology is certainly at its zenith - one can achieve
> whatever one wants, for better or for worse, and
> recording/production/delivery is nearer to the actual acoustic (where
> appropriate) that ever in the past.

I would agree, but I know plenty of people still argue tape is better
than digital. Or valve amps are superior to solid state (and not just
guitar amps) Or vinyl is better than CD. Or classic mics are superior
etc. So I'm sure you could have an endless debate with those people if
that's what you are after. These people simply don't get the difference
between *personal preference*, artistic *choices*, and actual
superiority of performance.

> Whether or not 'most' of the music is as creative or worthy of
> admiration is up for debate ...

Well at least that is *really* debatable! But once again it is more
about personal preference.

Old August 26th 20, 11:24 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 26/08/2020 5:27 pm, Trevor wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 2:54 pm, geoff wrote:
>> On 26/08/2020 4:48 pm, wrote:
>>> I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of recording
>>> of material for mass consumption.
>>> Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop,
>>> classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find
>>> lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or do
>>> you think audio recording is at its zenith now?

>> Recording technology is certainly at its zenith - one can achieve
>> whatever one wants, for better or for worse, and
>> recording/production/delivery is nearer to the actual acoustic (where
>> appropriate) that ever in the past.

> I would agree, but I know plenty of people still argue tape is better
> than digital. Or valve amps are superior to solid state (and not just
> guitar amps) Or vinyl is better than CD. Or classic mics are superior
> etc. So I'm sure you could have an endless debate with those people if
> that's what you are after. These people simply don't get the difference
> between *personal preference*, artistic *choices*, and actual
> superiority of performance.

Many people believe religions and other irrational and ridiculous things
too.

>> Whether or not 'most' of the music is as creative or worthy of
>> admiration is up for debate ...

> Well at least that is *really* debatable! But once again it is more
> about personal preference.

But no matter how good (or bad) it can be done very well ;- )

Old August 26th 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

Musicians are playing software instead of instruments. I'm doing it with Apple Logic Pro X.
It's allowed me to "compose" with instruments I can't play and don't have time to learn in this lifetime. Is that a good thing? I don't know. It works for me; expanding my musical horizon. Should I be concerned about putting other musicians out of work? Here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7M2-GIW9Ls

There was a magic involved in designing and build recording studios. People today don't always realize how great some of the old big rooms were. I feel lucky to have been in some of them. Just standing there and listening to the room.......Wow!
Old August 26th 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 26/08/2020 14:50, Ty Ford wrote:

> There was a magic involved in designing and build recording studios. People today don't always realize how great some of the old big rooms were. I feel lucky to have been in some of them. Just standing there and listening to the room.......Wow!

<Grin> I am close to getting a lovely sounding room. 69 feet by 35 feet
by 30 feet or so tall at the top of the vaulted ceiling.

This one:-

www.oysterbroadcast.co.uk/Click_2.html

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old August 26th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 26/08/2020 16:08, John Williamson wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 14:50, Ty Ford wrote:
>
>> There was a magic involved in designing and build recording studios.
>> People today don't always realize how great some of the old big rooms
>> were. I feel lucky to have been in some of them. Just standing there
>> and listening to the room.......Wow!
>>

> <Grin> I am close to getting a lovely sounding room. 69 feet by 35 feet
> by 30 feet or so tall at the top of the vaulted ceiling.
>
> This one:-
>
> www.oysterbroadcast.co.uk/Click_2.html

it is in he-

https://goo.gl/maps/PdBNqjaLT7hyRx3d8

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old August 26th 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 27/08/2020 3:29 am, John Williamson wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 16:08, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 26/08/2020 14:50, Ty Ford wrote:
>>
>>> There was a magic involved in designing and build recording studios.
>>> People today don't always realize how great some of the old big rooms
>>> were. I feel lucky to have been in some of them. Just standing there
>>> and listening to the room.......Wow!
>>>

>> <Grin> I am close to getting a lovely sounding room. 69 feet by 35 feet
>> by 30 feet or so tall at the top of the vaulted ceiling.
>>
>> This one:-
>>
>> www.oysterbroadcast.co.uk/Click_2.html
>>

> it is in he-
>
> https://goo.gl/maps/PdBNqjaLT7hyRx3d8

Lovely ;- )

Old August 27th 20, 02:12 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>On 26/08/2020 2:54 pm, geoff wrote:
>>
>> Recording technology is certainly at its zenith - one can achieve
>> whatever one wants, for better or for worse, and
>> recording/production/delivery is nearer to the actual acoustic (where
>> appropriate) that ever in the past.

>I would agree, but I know plenty of people still argue tape is better
>than digital. Or valve amps are superior to solid state (and not just
>guitar amps) Or vinyl is better than CD. Or classic mics are superior
>etc. So I'm sure you could have an endless debate with those people if
>that's what you are after. These people simply don't get the difference
>between *personal preference*, artistic *choices*, and actual
>superiority of performance.

But that's WHY recording technology is at its zenith... there are more
choices than ever before. You want something that sounds like tape,
that's great because you have a bunch of tape formulations to choose
from. If you want something completely clean, we finally have digital
converters that can do that. Want to make an acoustic disc? Sure, we
can do that. Whatever is appropriate to the music, we have plenty of
production methods and systems to choose from.