A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Who likes power trios ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 20th 20, 10:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Who likes power trios ?

Hi,

This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.

I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.

Turn it up loud.

Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.


....... Phil






Ads
  #2  
Old November 20th 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 87
Default Who likes power trios ?

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 4:55:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
>
> Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.
>
> I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
>
> Turn it up loud.
>
> Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
>
>
> ...... Phil


Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.
Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?
  #3  
Old November 21st 20, 07:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Who likes power trios ?

Ty Ford wrote:
=============

> >
> > This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
> >
> > Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.
> >
> > I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
> >
> > Turn it up loud.
> >
> > Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
> >
> >

> Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.


** Yep - the past masters at it made it sound like there was an extra invisible member, or two.

> Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?


** Well, these three can lay claim to being *very* close:

http://rockandrollgarage.com/creams-...tour-for-2020/

Includes an 11:42 long live version of "Spoonful", in good stereo, played by family of the originals.

Use headhones, cos there is tons of live ambience .


...... Phil
  #4  
Old November 21st 20, 08:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,691
Default Who likes power trios ?

On 21/11/2020 7:42 pm, wrote:
> Ty Ford wrote:
> =============
>
>>>
>>> This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
>>>
>>> Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.
>>>
>>> I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
>>>
>>> Turn it up loud.
>>>
>>> Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
>>>
>>>

>> Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.

>
> ** Yep - the past masters at it made it sound like there was an extra invisible member, or two.
>
>> Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

>
> ** Well, these three can lay claim to being *very* close:
>
> http://rockandrollgarage.com/creams-...tour-for-2020/
>
> Includes an 11:42 long live version of "Spoonful", in good stereo, played by family of the originals.
>
> Use headhones, cos there is tons of live ambience .
>
>
> ..... Phil
>


Thanks for that. Great stuff.

geoff
  #5  
Old November 21st 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 143
Default Who likes power trios ?

pallison49:

> Hi,
>
> This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
>
> Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if
> anyone cares.
>
> I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
>
> Turn it up loud.
>
> Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
>
>
> ...... Phil


classic PJ Harvey stuff - if you were around 20 years old in the mid-90s
and like(d) alternative rock music, it was hard to not know her, at
least in Europe

maybe you know this performance as well - though, definitely *not a
trio!*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafH1qXKxMg

not quite as loud, yet a good song, so you can turn it up loud, as well


another Phil

  #6  
Old November 22nd 20, 05:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Who likes power trios ?

Ty Ford wrote:
============
>
>
> Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?
>


** Who needs new power trios - w hen the old ones are still good as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG2JtdUEMJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB3SOEsk3zw

ZZ-Top, live in 2106



...... Phil
  #8  
Old November 28th 20, 07:04 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Who likes power trios ?

Jason wrote:
===========
>
> > Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.
> > Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

>
> Jimi Hendrix? I recall that was a trio but could sound way larger.
>
>

** For sure !!

One evening I played Hendrix performing "Little Wing" at the Royal Albert Hall for a visitor.

He was not familiar with the track or listening via my electrostatic speakers.

As the track ended, applause could be heard rising from the audience.

He suddenly leapt to his feet, pointed at the speakers and exclaimed:

" That was live ??? "

Almost in tears, he could hardly believe it was a live performance with only 3 guys playing.



...... Phil




  #9  
Old November 28th 20, 07:04 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Who likes power trios ?

Jason wrote:
===========
>
> > Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.
> > Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

>
> Jimi Hendrix? I recall that was a trio but could sound way larger.
>
>

** For sure !!

One evening I played Hendrix performing "Little Wing" at the Royal Albert Hall for a visitor.

He was not familiar with the track or listening via my electrostatic speakers.

As the track ended, applause could be heard rising from the audience.

He suddenly leapt to his feet, pointed at the speakers and exclaimed:

" That was live ??? "

Almost in tears, he could hardly believe it was a live performance with only 3 guys playing.



...... Phil




 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bret will find this interesting. He likes bleach blondes. [email protected] Audio Opinions 0 June 1st 08 04:53 PM
WHO LIKES THE PSP? [email protected] Pro Audio 0 January 23rd 05 05:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.