Does anybody sell pre-made resistor "gizmos" for sm57/58 mics?

Old September 19th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Default Does anybody sell pre-made resistor "gizmos" for sm57/58 mics?

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Roy W. Rising > wrote:
>> When I started in TV sound in '65, I was told the mic preamp input impedanc=
>> e should be "2K or greater" to avoid loading ribbon mics, which lose HF per=
>> formance when loaded.

> And see, when I started in the seventies, I was told the opposite, that
> ribbons wanted to see a lower impedance. Roy is correct, and Olson backs
> him up, and what I was told was wrong, but apparently a lot of people
> believed it at the time.
>
>> Dynamic mics generally "care" less about loading, wi=
>> th the exception of the SM57/58 as discussed here. EV co-founder Lou Burro=
>> ughs told me that as of the "Research Engineering" era, EV dynamics would n=
>> o longer use transformers for impedance selection.

> If you want microphones that are efficient and have high output, you get
> tight coupling and live with loading changing the response. If you can
> make the magnetic circuit lossy, they won't be as sensitive to load.
>
> One of the things about the SM-57 is that it uses a very low-Z winding with
> a few big turns, going into a step-up transformer. The later EV dynamics used
> higher impedance windings without the transformer, which was a win sonically
> but might have made them less rugged.
>
>> The successor to the EV=
>> 666 (with transformer) is the RE15. Lou said that inline attenuators' loa=
>> ding would not affect performance and that a true 150 ohm load would only l=
>> ower the level by 6dB. With all of the variables surrounding mic performan=
>> ce, I decided to step beyond the esoteric practice of "mic selection". Ins=
>> tead, I started using RE15s on "everything", in part because EQ on every in=
>> put was appearing. My other reason was that mixing TV orchestras amounted =
>> to mixing leakage. The RE15 is flat from all directions, hence "better" le=
>> akage. I have a matched pair for my desert island gig.

> The RE15 is an unsung hero, alongside the Sennheiser 441. Both sound pretty
> good when you're standing behind them. Try THAT with an SM-57.
> --scott

Yeah, but gain before feedback...

I used an RE11 as a stage vocal mic for a while but switched to an Audix
i5 ( even more SM57 than an SM57 ) because feedback.

The RE11 might be the nest guitar amp mic I own.

--
Les Cargill
Old September 25th 20, 03:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:
>On 17/09/2020 7:11 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Roy W. Rising > wrote:
>>> When I started in TV sound in '65, I was told the mic preamp input impedanc=
>>> e should be "2K or greater" to avoid loading ribbon mics, which lose HF per=
>>> formance when loaded.

>> And see, when I started in the seventies, I was told the opposite, that
>> ribbons wanted to see a lower impedance. Roy is correct, and Olson backs
>> him up, and what I was told was wrong, but apparently a lot of people
>> believed it at the time.

>Surely all passive ribbon mics have output transformers, and the optimal
>model or brand ?

The RCA ribbons, and most other ribbons that are copies of the RCA, don't
need any electrical damping. Consequently they work best into an open,
but you don't get any signal that way, so in real life we try for the
highest impedance possible given noise limits.

This may not be the case for highly tensioned ribbons, although it seems
to be the case with the Beyers.

There is a really good discussion of this in Harry Olson's book on acoustics,
which goes through the math and shows a very good electrical model for the
ribbon mike which still has not been improved on after all these years.

Old October 24th 20, 05:35 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 7:12:44 AM UTC-7, slinkp wrote:
> I'd like to try the shunt resistor trick, as per eg. that old Paul Stamler article, but i have no idea where my soldering kit has got to, and exercising my soldering skills (terrible) is no longer on my list of "fun things to do with my very limited free time". Plugging in a presumably inexpensive thing that's already wired up and seeing if I like it does sound fun though.
>
> So if there's a place or person that sells eg. an XLR barrel with a suitable resistor already correctly wired into it, I'd happily buy one. Google's not turning up such a thing but it's hard to know exactly what to search for.

And so, after an interesting discussion about loading vs. non-loading of mics, someone told me about the "Lower-Z" - $13.99 from FireHouse Audio. https://www.fhaudio.net/ . Their low-information description is amusing ... "Less Resistance Means Fuller Tone", and more! [I didn't know the brush company had a sound division.]

Roy W. Rising "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong."