MOSFET

Default Question About This Newsgroup....

I use Outlook Express to surf these newsgroups and it's been years since I
have been on a usenet site (it's a long story, but I basically forgot they
were here, I used to use Agent).

I wanted to go back to a thread I started about a week and a half ago (on a
Kenwood EQ I bought) and reread a post, but it's no longer here. Yet, there
are still REALLY, REALLY OLD posts listed here. What gives? I always hit
"Mark All Read" when I'm done going through the list for the day so it isn't
a matter of posts that are still not read.

If someone could enlighten me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

MOSFET

Antispammer

your OE could have already deleted those posts in your cache. do this;

in OE, click TOOLSOPTIONS
you will arrive at the GENERAL tab, go to the READ tab.

1) uncheck the box beside " Get xxx headers at a time"
this will make OE download all messages from the newsgroup.
2) mark all messages as read when exiting a newsgroup

next click on the MAINTENANCE tab
1a) uncheck the box "delete read message bodies in newgroup"
2a) uncheck the box "delete news messages x days after being download"

caps for extra attention.not shouting

"MOSFET" wrote in message
I use Outlook Express to surf these newsgroups and it's been years since I
have been on a usenet site (it's a long story, but I basically forgot they
were here, I used to use Agent).

I wanted to go back to a thread I started about a week and a half ago (on

Kenwood EQ I bought) and reread a post, but it's no longer here. Yet,

there
are still REALLY, REALLY OLD posts listed here. What gives? I always

hit
"Mark All Read" when I'm done going through the list for the day so it

isn't
a matter of posts that are still not read.

If someone could enlighten me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

MOSFET

MOSFET

Thank you very much, Antispammer! That was a big help and will certainly
better help me enjoy newsgroups in the future!

But even after making those changes and hitting "catch up" on rec.audio.car,
my week and a half thread is still nowhere to be seen. Is there a way to
re-download every post in the newsgroup? Do you still see that post of
mine, it said something like "Need Expert Help on Kenwood EQ"?

Thank you so much,

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
I use Outlook Express to surf these newsgroups and it's been years since

have been on a usenet site (it's a long story, but I basically forgot

they
were here, I used to use Agent).

I wanted to go back to a thread I started about a week and a half ago

(on
Kenwood EQ I bought) and reread a post, but it's no longer here. Yet,

there
are still REALLY, REALLY OLD posts listed here. What gives? I always

hit
"Mark All Read" when I'm done going through the list for the day so it

isn't
a matter of posts that are still not read.

If someone could enlighten me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

MOSFET

Antispammer

did you receive the email? no?

MOSFET

did you receive the email? no?

yep, thanks.

Antispammer

no problemo

"MOSFET" wrote in message
did you receive the email? no?

yep, thanks.

Tony F

Also MOSFET, if you look at the "toolbar" thing above the posts...where it
says SUBJECT, FROM, SENT & SIZE...there are 3 little symbols to the left.
One is a pair of sunglasses. If you click next to the post to the very far
left of it under the sunglass symbol, that post will be saved and not
deleted until you un-mark it. I have OE 6. Hope this is helpful to you.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

MOSFET

Thanks again, Tony. I never knew what that was for!

MOSFET

MOSFET wrote:
I use Outlook Express to surf these newsgroups and it's been years since I
have been on a usenet site (it's a long story, but I basically forgot they
were here, I used to use Agent).

I wanted to go back to a thread I started about a week and a half ago (on a
Kenwood EQ I bought) and reread a post, but it's no longer here. Yet, there
are still REALLY, REALLY OLD posts listed here. What gives? I always hit
"Mark All Read" when I'm done going through the list for the day so it isn't
a matter of posts that are still not read.

If someone could enlighten me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

MOSFET

MOSFET, I would suggest you ditch OE and go with another program such as
NewsAgent or Mozilla's Thunderbird:

Before I go read the replies off the top of my head it might be that
some posts have the 'do not retain me' (archive) set to Don't.

TBerk

MZ

MOSFET, I would suggest you ditch OE and go with another program such as
NewsAgent or Mozilla's Thunderbird:

Before I go read the replies off the top of my head it might be that
some posts have the 'do not retain me' (archive) set to Don't.

I guess I'm one of the few OE lovers out there. I use Mozilla Firefox for
a browser (IE has several shortcomings), and I'm really not enamoured with
very many things Microsoft offers, except for Excel which is decent, and
98SE which is ok I guess (I despise XP with a passion). But I've yet to
encounter a newsreader with greater functionality than OE. If you know
how to do the little tweaks, it's as good as any, IMO. I think the only
place where they fall short is the ability to synchronize news messages
across multiple computers, but I don't know of anyone else that does that
right either.

Anyway, cheers to Outlook Express! (the funny part is that I'm posting
this from Pine and not OE...)
Sean Scott

"MZ" wrote in message
MOSFET, I would suggest you ditch OE and go with another program such as
NewsAgent or Mozilla's Thunderbird:

Before I go read the replies off the top of my head it might be that
some posts have the 'do not retain me' (archive) set to Don't.

I guess I'm one of the few OE lovers out there. I use Mozilla Firefox for

I use OE as well and always will until I have some problem with it, which
hasn't happened yet and I don't forsee in the future.

a browser (IE has several shortcomings), and I'm really not enamoured with
very many things Microsoft offers, except for Excel which is decent, and
98SE which is ok I guess (I despise XP with a passion). But I've yet to
encounter a newsreader with greater functionality than OE. If you know
how to do the little tweaks, it's as good as any, IMO. I think the only
place where they fall short is the ability to synchronize news messages
across multiple computers, but I don't know of anyone else that does that
right either.

Anyway, cheers to Outlook Express! (the funny part is that I'm posting
this from Pine and not OE...)

Rick Brandt

Sean Scott wrote:
"MZ" wrote in message
MOSFET, I would suggest you ditch OE and go with another program
such as NewsAgent or Mozilla's Thunderbird:

Before I go read the replies off the top of my head it might be that
some posts have the 'do not retain me' (archive) set to Don't.

I guess I'm one of the few OE lovers out there. I use Mozilla
Firefox for

I use OE as well and always will until I have some problem with it,
which hasn't happened yet and I don't forsee in the future.

Have you tried the Quote Fix add-in for OE? I've been using it for a few months
now and it really improves it quite a bit. Quoted text is cleaned up and color
coded and you can have "proper" default behaviour of positioning the cursor
below the quoted text instead of at the top.

Sean Scott

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
Sean Scott wrote:
"MZ" wrote in message
MOSFET, I would suggest you ditch OE and go with another program
such as NewsAgent or Mozilla's Thunderbird:

Before I go read the replies off the top of my head it might be that
some posts have the 'do not retain me' (archive) set to Don't.

I guess I'm one of the few OE lovers out there. I use Mozilla
Firefox for

I use OE as well and always will until I have some problem with it,
which hasn't happened yet and I don't forsee in the future.

Have you tried the Quote Fix add-in for OE? I've been using it for a few
months now and it really improves it quite a bit. Quoted text is cleaned
up and color coded and you can have "proper" default behaviour of
positioning the cursor below the quoted text instead of at the top.

Personally I'd be topposting if it wouldnt get me flamed but thats an
argument for another thread ;p