Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

Default Vintage audio the most popular segment anong audiophiles

High levels of eBay and Audiogon trading establish this to be true.
Of course, WalMart outsells vintage dealers 100 to 1. But audiophiles
don't buy audio at WM.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Jun 10, 5:18�pm, wrote:
�High levels of eBay and Audiogon trading establish this to be true.
Of course, WalMart outsells vintage dealers 100 to 1. But audiophiles
don't buy audio at WM.

Depends what you call vintage. But I applaud you for bringing up
genuinely interesting audio topics today.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

" wrote in message

High levels of eBay and Audiogon trading establish this to be true.
Of course, WalMart outsells vintage dealers 100 to 1. But audiophiles
don't buy audio at WM.

There is a sweet spot between vintage and modern. From the early 80's to
the
early 90's, many makers were still focused on high fidelity. There are
many
extraordinary pieces from that time period:

Acoustat amplifiers and preamps
Hafler amplifiers and preamps
Audio Alchemy DLC (but not the DACs)
Onkyo mass market could be surprising
Sony ES from the early 90's
Yamaha high end from the same period
Nakamichi from the same period, including the incomparable TA-4A receiver
Parasound
many others that I don't own and therefore don't remember

This stuff rivals, and in many cases, actually exceeds the quality of
what's
available today.

The real vintage stuff, before the rise of the CD, is not nearly as good.

Nevertheless, it has many adherents, which just goes to show that
individual
audiophiles have their own internal standards that in many cases tend
toward
other than objective quality. One has to respect their choices. There is
no
point in arguing. But my personal affililiation is with

HIGH FIDELITY"

Nyoop.

Hafler stuff worked halfway decent, but has always been popular for POOGE
mods because it never was all that well detail-engineered out of the box
(and is cheap).

Big wins from this era are early VTL products built under direct
supervision from David Manley, when they had limited fab facilities and
therefore pointwired everything: the George Kaye MOSCODE amps before they
got stupid expensive: and Merrill modded AR tables.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 11, 11:42�am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

Acoustat amplifiers and preamps
Hafler amplifiers and preamps
Audio Alchemy DLC (but not the DACs)
Onkyo mass market could be surprising
Sony ES from the early 90's
Yamaha high end from the same period
Nakamichi from the same period, including the incomparable TA-4A receiver
Parasound
many others that I don't own and therefore don't remember

This stuff rivals, and in many cases, actually exceeds the quality of what's
available today.

No way, Bob. But then again, you don't have the same access to new
stuff that I do. Most of the stuff on this list is mid-fi at best.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
RapidRonnie RapidRonnie is offline

Acoustat amplifiers and preamps
Hafler amplifiers and preamps
Audio Alchemy DLC (but not the DACs)
Onkyo mass market could be surprising
Sony ES from the early 90's
Yamaha high end from the same period
Nakamichi from the same period, including the incomparable TA-4A receiver
Parasound
many others that I don't own and therefore don't remember

This stuff rivals, and in many cases, actually exceeds the quality of what's
available today.

No way, Bob. But then again, you don't have the same access to new
stuff that I do. Most of the stuff on this list is mid-fi at best.

Twaddle, because much current stuff sounds indistinguishable or worse
than the previous generations.

As well, the sonics of a unit are IRRELEVANT if the unit is not
reasonably supportable. Supportable means able to keep it working for
the foreseeable future. Many expensive high end boxes are not
reasonably supportable for any of various reasons.

Lack of documentation is one. Use of inobtainable parts is another.