Posted to rec.audio.pro,
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default JBL LE 5-2 midrange driver acting up

Hi,

after years of excellent service, one of my LE 5-2 midrange is getting a
little edgy. I swapped everything out and it is the speaker. The seal around
the edge from the paper to the metal is sticky. I'm assuming that it's
decomposing.

If I touch the paper in one quadrant, near the seal, the edge isn't so bad.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

after years of excellent service, one of my LE 5-2 midrange is getting a
little edgy. I swapped everything out and it is the speaker. The seal around
the edge from the paper to the metal is sticky. I'm assuming that it's
decomposing.

If I touch the paper in one quadrant, near the seal, the edge isn't so bad.

Any suggestions?

Send both midranges back to JBL for reconing. Or take the whole things to
Cardinal Sound and Motion Picture Services in Elkridge, MD which is an
authorized JBL repair facility and which does excellent work. They may be
able to just replace the surrounds but I suspect you won't get a JBL warranty
on that.