Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
sillyputty sillyputty is offline

Default Receiver question

This is a variation on the old 'what's the best receiver' question: I
just bought a Music Hall MMF2.1 turntable and have a Sony STR AV770
receiver (80W), Sony K679ES cassette deck, Sony CDP-591 CD player, JBL
2600 speakers and also use the receiver for the audio on my TV/movies.
The tuner went out on the receiver and some of the digital display
doesn't work, otherwise it works fine.

I've been out of the audio loop for a bit. When researching a new
turntable I found out most of the new tables are junk and to buy a new
or used Rega, Thorens or Music Hall, hence the Music Hall purchase.
I've heard the same is true for amplifiers/receivers and to look for a
used NAD, etc receiver. Is this right? I used to own Marantz receivers
and loved their transparent sound. Does Marantz still make good audio
equipment? What about Denon? Or should I just get the STR AV770
repaired? Thanks!
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"sillyputty" wrote in message

I've been out of the audio loop for a bit. When
researching a new turntable I found out most of the new
tables are junk and to buy a new or used Rega, Thorens or
Music Hall, hence the Music Hall purchase.

I would dispute the idea that most new turntables are junk. Turntables are
low-volume items that need to be designed and built with care and integrity.
It is not rocket science to do that, but at budget prices, it can be too
much of a challenge. There are new budget turtables selling at unbelievably
low prices that are very plastic-y. But if you move upscale enough, quality
is still available under $500.

Turntables are mechanical devices, and while the price performance of
electronics continues to improve, the price/performance of mechanical items
hasn't changed that much.

I've heard the
same is true for amplifiers/receivers and to look for a
used NAD, etc receiver. Is this right?

No.

I used to own Marantz receivers and loved their transparent sound.

The classic Marantz receivers from the 70s and 80s were very nice, but not
unique in their ability to perform.

Does Marantz still make good audio equipment?

For a price.

What about Denon?

For less of a price.

Or should I just get the STR AV770 repaired?

It is probably not worth it. A good shop may want $60 just to look at it,
and if you are sucessful at getting it repaired, when its all over you've
got an old receiver that works and will probably need more work pretty soon.

There are still good stereo receievers in the under-$200 price range. Your
system is pretty much budget, and especially with those budget JBL 2400
speakers, its not wise to waste money on a high end receiver.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 23 May 2008 02:00:21 -0700, sillyputty wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Turntables sold today are so much better than the best turntables sold at the
height of the LP reign that it isn't even funny. First of all, there is,
essentially, no market for turntables at the bottom end. AFAICS, record
changers are gone. So are the $100 cheap direct-drive tables. They are still
available from companies selling the the "DJ" market, but as audiophile and
consumer goods, they are simply gone, Music Hall, and Rega along with the
Czech-built Pro-Ject tables are the bottom feeders these days, and they are
all excellent performers with decent arms. Pro-Ject also makes some really
good tables but they tend to be more than $800. Also brands like VPI,
ClearAudio, JA Michelle, SME, Oracle, SOTA, and yes, Thorens (who has tables
costing more than $5000). These tables are not cost constrained and use
breakthroughs in materials technology to produce truly superlative
performance from LPs. Add to that breakthroughs in cartridge and arm design
and materials (such as the use of carbon fiber for arm tubes) and you have a
lot more choices than you did in the days when the LP was the only readily
accessable source of Hi-Fi music reproduction in the home.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
Major Jocelyn Major Jocelyn is offline

sillyputty a écrit :
[...]

I to found out that budget turntable can be really crappy. As for new
receiver I work as a senior salesman in an Hi-Fi chain in Canada and I
can tell you to stay away from budget receivers. I test several budget
receivers all rated between 5x75w and 5x120w(the Pioneer VSX-518-K, the
Sony STRDG520, the JVC RX-5060B the Yamaha RX-V361 and the Yamaha
AVR-588). We (We where 3 from the chain) tested those receivers against
a Old Denon PMA-737 (rated at 2x65 watts) and a Luxman L-430 (rated at
2x110Watts) and what we found out is that none of these receivers
approached the quality of sound the old amps gave. None could give the
clarity and openess of sound that the old Denon or Luxman can give. As
for the power they all failed to give loud and Clear sound. As soon as
we crank up the volume we loose clarity and distortion became quite
noticable. So unless you are ready to put 500$ on a new receiver better
get yourself an old one. One note: If you do buy a old amp make sure it
as been serviced correctly -- Sometime old amplifier have leaking
capacitors.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion

Major Jocelyn a écrit :
sillyputty a écrit :
[...]

Sorry Typo error not a Yamaha AVR-588 but a DENON AVR-588 (I was
replying to 2 messages at the same time)

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion

Default Attention all 'borgs! Cheapism under attack!

Major Jocelyn said:

I [too] found out that budget turntable can be really crappy.

How dare you imply that the solution to an audio problem lies in
spending money. You will soon taste the wrath of the mighty Krooborg!
You will burn in a river of snot and be forced to undergo aBxism "tests"
until you are half dead. (Eye-gouging optional.)

If I were you, I'd take cover before the Krooborg starts flinging its
dinner at you.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Most of the budget tables today are suspensionless and therefore a pain in
the ass to get good results with in modern homes.

The classic AR design used in the Linn Sondek and others is probably the
best way to go. Unfortunately you can't buy one new at a reasonable price,
for reason unfathomable to me.

Vintage tables like the Garrards and Empires as well as Thorens were
pretty good but yes, better alternatives exist today.

Nothing beats a belt drive AC synchronous motor driving a good heavy
platter on a smooth bearing.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion

On May 23, 7:20 am, Sonnova wrote:
Turntables sold today are so much better than the best turntables sold at the
height of the LP reign that it isn't even funny.

So could I have done better for $350 than the Music Hall MMF2.1? I'm
listening to it right now and it sounds pretty good, though that's
subjective and I don't have another table alongside to A-B. If so,
what would you recommend in that price range? Thx.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[...]

Not necessarily. The inexpensive tables are all suspensionless, and arms
and cartridges really have not improved greatly.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:15:14 -0700, sillyputty wrote
(in article
):

On May 23, 7:20 am, Sonnova wrote:
Turntables sold today are so much better than the best turntables sold at
the
height of the LP reign that it isn't even funny.

So could I have done better for $350 than the Music Hall MMF2.1? I'm
listening to it right now and it sounds pretty good, though that's
subjective and I don't have another table alongside to A-B. If so,
what would you recommend in that price range? Thx.

The Music Hall MMF2.1 is a good performer for the money as is the Pro-Ject
Debut III. I think both are better than the Rega P1 mostly due to their arm
design.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
sillyputty sillyputty is offline

What do ya all think of the Marantz SR2041?
http://tinyurl.com/6yl75g

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:49:40 -0700, sillyputty wrote
(in article
):

What do ya all think of the Marantz SR2041?
http://tinyurl.com/6yl75g

It's probably fine. Most Marantz equipment these days is upper-end mid-fi. 80
Watts/channel is plenty for most applications. But be aware that even though
the receiver has video switching as well as audio switching, its not a
surround receiver and if you are interested in home theater, it might not be
the best choice.

External DAC to receiver question David B. Tech 20 May 3rd 05 04:41 PM
Old Receiver Question GRussinko General 8 March 28th 05 11:48 AM
Receiver, Speakers, etc...Question James \Cubby\ Culbertson Audio Opinions 9 December 13th 04 03:29 PM
KLH Receiver Question: 8-ohm receiver, 4-ohm subwoofer? scredsfan General 2 November 28th 04 07:48 PM
Yamaha receiver question Bruce Abrams Tech 3 November 2nd 03 05:32 PM