Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default 2007 finds for musical satisfaction and good sound

I've spend $0.00 on audio gear this year, for two reasons. First, my
spending priorities went toward two very high end acoustic guitars.
That was a new priority in 2007, and I'm enjoying them both a great
deal. I also invested in two really good acoustic guitar amps, to
support my coffeehouse/winery gigs. Second, at the price level that I'm
presently willing to spend, my system brings a great deal of enjoyment
and I think that I would have to spend quite a bit more money to get
much better results:
Amp/Preamp/CD player: all Rotel
TT/Arm/Cartridge: Clearaudio Emotion system
Speakers: Vandersteen 2ci

I HAVE invested a bit in recordings. My best purchases (from both
musical and sonic standpoints) we
LP:
Stravinsky: Firebird Mercury/Classic re-issue
Grainger: Lincolnshire Posy Fennell/Eastman Wind Ensemble
Mercury/Speakers Corner re-issue
Ella: Let No Man Write My Epitaph Verve
Joan Baez: In Concert Vanguard/Cisco re-issue
Ry Cooder: Paris, Texas Warner
The Byrds: Another Dimension Columbia/Sundazed

All of the above provide GREAT performances and GREAT sound, and are
highly recommended.

CD:
Various Bach Cantatas on SDG by Gardiner and the English Baroque Soloists
Laurence Juber: PCH recently recorded at Capital Records in Hollywood;
a great session to watch and the result is magnificent
The continuing Mahler cycle by the San Francisco Symphony/MTT

Nostalgia find of the year: a cassette I made of a 12 year old me
jamming with 25 year old Gary Puckett in his garage! lol

Anyone else have any favorite finds for 2007?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

LP:
Stravinsky: *Firebird *Mercury/Classic re-issue

fantastic!
i have an original, maybe i will try to reissue also

Ry Cooder: *Paris, Texas *Warner

another Cooder soundtrack, and i like it best,
is The Long Riders
original music in the style of real post civil war western music.

another little known Cooder gem is Boomers Story, blues

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

LP:
Stravinsky: *Firebird *Mercury/Classic re-issue

fantastic!
i have an original, maybe i will try to reissue also

My original was found used and is pretty trashed. The re-issue is
REALLY great.

Ry Cooder: *Paris, Texas *Warner

another Cooder soundtrack, and i like it best,
is The Long Riders
original music in the style of real post civil war western music.

another little known Cooder gem is Boomers Story, blues

Great, I'll check them out!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

On Jan 6, 10:24�am, Jenn wrote:
[...]

I splurged at 3 or 4 record stores just before the holidays, and still
haven't listened to everything. I picked out quite a few classical
guitar LPs, though, so that seems to be a theme for 2008.

I really don't have to buy audio equipment anymore, although I do plan
on trading my Koetsu Rosewood for a Sky Blue Urushi sometime this
year. I do have a lot of new gear in my system for the new year,
including a pair of Devore Fidelity Gibbon 9s, and a pair of Harbeth
Compact 7-ES3s. I'm really loving the features and flexibility of a
new McIntosh C2300 preamp. Imagine loading your cartridge via remote
control. And I've settled on the Clayton Audio Stereo 40 amp as my
reference for now...50 watts of pure class A. Right now, the only
tubes in my system are in the two preamps I have (theMcIntosh and the
Nagra PL-L).

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default duh-Scottie reaches for the rusty iron ring

The Idiot yapped:

I really don't have to buy audio equipment anymore,

They just give the **** away in Portland?

I know what he meants. Shushie knows what he means. Robert, Jenn, John,
and probably even Mr. **** know what he means.

You alone don't know what he means. That's because you're The Idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
wrote:

On Jan 6, 10:24?am, Jenn wrote:
[...]

You are in Portland, aren't you? Since you like classical guitar, you
might look up concerts by Mark Hanson and Doug Smith. Though they
aren't classical, they are superb players. I think you might enjoy them.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

On Jan 6, 7:05�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Jan 6, 10:24?am, Jenn wrote:
[...]

aren't classical, they are superb players. �I think you might enjoy them.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Jen! I'll check them out. Portland is a great music town, no
doubt.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 6, 4:43�pm, "ScottW" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 6, 10:24?am, Jenn wrote:

I really don't have to buy audio equipment anymore,

They just give the **** away in Portland?

ScottW

Yup. That's why I moved here.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe109 MINe109 is offline

On Jan 6, 12:24 pm, Jenn wrote:

Anyone else have any favorite finds for 2007?

It's not as much a fave as a chore, but I finally found a center to
match my albatross-like Linn Kaber front speakers (I like 'em, but the
required rack of crossover and three stereo amps is inconvenient).
While dvd in stereo wasn't bad, it's better with a center. Despite the
absent Ferstler, synthesized surround, while pleasant for casual
listening, is not equal to discrete recordings.

I've started with the Living Stereos and have one of MTT's Mahlers. I
don't buy full price classical much, which is too bad with all those
Pentatones, etc, out there.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
MINe109 wrote:

On Jan 6, 12:24 pm, Jenn wrote:

Anyone else have any favorite finds for 2007?

It's not as much a fave as a chore, but I finally found a center to
match my albatross-like Linn Kaber front speakers (I like 'em, but the
required rack of crossover and three stereo amps is inconvenient).

Congrats on finding your center, Grasshopper ;-)
While dvd in stereo wasn't bad, it's better with a center. Despite the
absent Ferstler, synthesized surround, while pleasant for casual
listening, is not equal to discrete recordings.

I've started with the Living Stereos and have one of MTT's Mahlers. I
don't buy full price classical much, which is too bad with all those
Pentatones, etc, out there.

Stephen

[TOP TEN 2007] Sight and Sound Sire Car Audio 0 December 27th 07 06:34 PM
Hi-fi+ magazine Email outage 20/11/2007 to 23/11/2007 (Lost Orders) [email protected] General 0 November 23rd 07 08:42 PM
Recent music finds Jenn Audio Opinions 3 May 27th 06 04:58 PM
live sound for kids' musical [email protected] Pro Audio 19 April 8th 05 08:02 PM
37th Annual CMA Awards finds Powell Audio Opinions 0 November 21st 03 02:39 AM