Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default AES Show Report

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter A. Stoll[_2_] Peter A. Stoll[_2_] is offline

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:gk0ael$2i0$1
@panix2.panix.com:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
--scott

A couple of probable typos, in case you have the ability and wish to
correct:

"They found, of course, that the threshold of detectability varied with
frequency, and they found the minimum threshold to be a 7 degree difference
in the 250-500 KHz band."

"Bourns was their with their line of potentiometers"

I can't write a paragraph these days without a couple of typos, so this is
not criticism--just the service I'd wish for myself.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:gk0ael$2i0$1
@panix2.panix.com:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
--scott

Good job, Scott. Lots of specific information.

It's a helluva lot to absorb at one sitting, but this is the kind of
stuff that everyone needs to read top to bottom. Even if I can't use it
right now, I should be aware of most of this--just to understand where
the industry is going.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Carey Carlan wrote:

It's a helluva lot to absorb at one sitting, but this is the kind of
stuff that everyone needs to read top to bottom. Even if I can't use it
right now, I should be aware of most of this--just to understand where
the industry is going.

Yes, but you should be aware that _my_ view isn't necessary an accurate
or an unbiased view. There were a lot of folks with new plug-ins this
year, and I didn't look at any of them, for instance.

You really need to go to the show yourself. There's one every year,
and it is worth every penny of the cost to attend. Take a bus to New
York and stay in a fleabag hotel and see for yourself what is happening!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
dwgriffi dwgriffi is offline

Really enjoyable read, Scott. I always enjoy these.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6 Jan 2009 14:12:21 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm

Great stuff (of course!). What's your photography secret to
getting a Fuji Astia look from something that's probably
hand-held and digital, and under ugly commercial lighting?

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
On 6 Jan 2009 14:12:21 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm

Great stuff (of course!). What's your photography secret to
getting a Fuji Astia look from something that's probably
hand-held and digital, and under ugly commercial lighting?

Fuji 800 ASA color negative film and a Zenit-22 knockoff of
the original Pentax SLR, developed and scanned at Walgreens immediately
after the show.

The fast film means I can stop down to f/5.6 or even f/8 on the show
floor and still have shadow detail. Last year's show I used a 2 1/4"
Yashicamat but the ability to do quick scans at the drugstore and ship
the files off has got me doing 35mm now.

It's interesting the cheap consumer Fuji 800 film is actually almost a
full stop faster than the cheap consumer Kodak 800 film. I plotted
curves on both of them by hand (with identical Walmart processing and a
Kodak match-the-tone densitometer).
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith. Keith. is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Carey Carlan wrote:

It's a helluva lot to absorb at one sitting, but this is the kind of
stuff that everyone needs to read top to bottom. Even if I can't use it
right now, I should be aware of most of this--just to understand where
the industry is going.

Yes, but you should be aware that _my_ view isn't necessary an accurate
or an unbiased view. There were a lot of folks with new plug-ins this
year, and I didn't look at any of them, for instance.

You really need to go to the show yourself. There's one every year,
and it is worth every penny of the cost to attend. Take a bus to New
York and stay in a fleabag hotel and see for yourself what is happening!
--scott
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis.

Love to be there even to just get away from 36degree C heat here. Maybe next
year.
Did you use a filter to color correct for the fluorescent lighting ? as the
color balance is excellent and consistent.

Keith.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael R. Kesti[_3_] Michael R. Kesti[_3_] is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
--scott

What, no picture of Tara?

| two, one and one make one."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Michael R. Kesti wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
--scott

What, no picture of Tara?

Yeah, dude, a little peer review fer goodness sakes.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 6, 2:12*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Yes, it's finally out:http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

great job...thank you!
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm

Thanks Scott. I notice the papers still aren't available for the 125th
convention. How long does AES usually take to post these?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm

Thanks Scott. I notice the papers still aren't available for the 125th
convention. How long does AES usually take to post these?

I don't know, to be honest! I'm surprised, because I would expect it
would take no time at all.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 7, 10:26*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
Michael R. Kesti wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
--scott

What, no picture of Tara?

Yeah, dude, a little peer review fer goodness sakes.

Especially since a Google search with Tara Cakewalk and AES doesn't
turn anything up.

Don't ask me how I know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm

Terrific job, Scott. Would that audiophile coverage of the audio shows be
this good.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant writes:
Thanks Scott. I notice the papers still aren't available for the 125th
convention. How long does AES usually take to post these?

I just got mail from Bill McQuaide saying they will be up some time in
February.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

I just got mail from Bill McQuaide saying they will be up some time in
February.

Thanks for passing that on.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm
--scott

I guess Digidesign didn't attend this year's show. ;

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
david correia wrote:
In article ,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Yes, it's finally out:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/aes.htm

I guess Digidesign didn't attend this year's show. ;

They were just as loud as ever, but this year GC Pro and Allen and Heath
both managed to be still louder.

In terms of all-time-loudest, I think the Full Sail booth with the Elvis
impersonators a decade or so ago is still the worst. Even Cerwin Vega
wasn't quite that loud.

Still, GC Pro certainly had far more feedback than anyone else I have ever
seen at the show.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Still, GC Pro certainly had far more feedback than anyone else I have ever
seen at the show.

Hence, the word "pro" in their handle!

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:23:13 -0800, david correia wrote
(in article ):

I guess Digidesign didn't attend this year's show. ;

Grin noted, but their 2008 AES offerings are covered here at this link:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=35270

--MFW

AES Show Report Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 20 December 15th 06 11:11 AM
AES Show Report Mike Rivers Pro Audio 33 November 8th 05 09:42 AM
.Milan Show Report + RMAF Show. [email protected] High End Audio 0 September 25th 05 10:03 PM
AES Show Report Mike Rivers Pro Audio 43 November 29th 04 02:47 AM
AES show report Len Moskowitz Pro Audio 13 November 14th 03 02:42 PM