Universal Disc Player

Old May 21st 04, 03:30 AM
Peter

Default Universal Disc Player

Does anyone perhaps know if a Universal Disc Player that will play CDs,
SACDs, and DVD-As, but that does not incorporate DVD, i.e. not function as a
DVD player, is available?

I am very interested in all three audio formats, but I do not want the extra
video circuitry, nor do I have a monitor in the same room to set it up.

Old May 21st 04, 04:37 AM
Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 21 May 2004 02:30:48 GMT, "Peter" >
wrote:

>Does anyone perhaps know if a Universal Disc Player that will play CDs,
>SACDs, and DVD-As, but that does not incorporate DVD, i.e. not function as a
>DVD player, is available?
>
>I am very interested in all three audio formats, but I do not want the extra
>video circuitry, nor do I have a monitor in the same room to set it up.

I do not know of any. Besides, one often needs the monitor to set up
the player and, despite some success without, select menus/tracks on
some DVD-As.

Kal

Old May 21st 04, 06:07 AM
hollywood_steve

"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 02:30:48 GMT, "Peter" >
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone perhaps know if a Universal Disc Player that will play CDs,
> >SACDs, and DVD-As, but that does not incorporate DVD, i.e. not function

as a
> >DVD player, is available?
> >
> >I am very interested in all three audio formats, but I do not want the

extra
> >video circuitry, nor do I have a monitor in the same room to set it up.

> I do not know of any. Besides, one often needs the monitor to set up
> the player and, despite some success without, select menus/tracks on
> some DVD-As.
>
> Kal

There is a Sony player that has received rave reviews, even from them wacky
audiophile types, and it only costs $250! The hifi mags have actually been
comparing it to multi-thousand dollar players, in large part due to its
great SACD performance. The only downside (according to the reviews) is
that it does not play the DVD-A format, but seemingly everything elese. I
know this doesn't meet your specs, but its close enough that others might
find it interesting. I'll try to post the exact model number later; I'm
thinking of getting one for my studio, mostly for playing SACDs and DVD-Vs.

steve