TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

Hook it up and listen and tell us

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Ned Carlson

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:18:23 +0000, Jon Yaeger wrote:

I'm looking at a Sansui 1000A schematic with a SS voltage doubler that
delivers 478 VDC. The doubler uses a pair of 200 MFD caps.

Would it be detrimental to increase us a pair of 500 MFD caps instead of the
200s?

I'd get some newer, higher rated (amperage) diodes. If you start
blowing even slo-blo fuses when you turn it on, you could use an
NTE thermistor on the transformer primary.

Would that have any possible effect on the output ?

You'll get a little more power at low frequencies 'cause the
PS won't sag as much under load, of course within the limits of
what the transformer can supply.

Further, what are the sonic implications of using an (actively) regulated
power supply with a tube or MOSFET pass element?

hmmmmm..I think I'l stick to answering *simple* questions.. ;-)

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics
www.triodeelectronics.com

Gregg

Behold, Jon Yaeger signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Further, what are the sonic implications of using an (actively)
regulated power supply with a tube or MOSFET pass element?

I have used MOSFET and bipolar elements in my B++ regulator designs.
Personally, I prefer the bipolar, but the impedance of either should give
you less than 1 ohm down to the millihertz range, because any regulator is
in effect, an amplified capacitor as well.

Either will do justice to any class of amp.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Jon Yaeger

Default Actual tube-related questions . . .

I'm looking at a Sansui 1000A schematic with a SS voltage doubler that
delivers 478 VDC. The doubler uses a pair of 200 MFD caps.

Would it be detrimental to increase us a pair of 500 MFD caps instead of the
200s? Would that have any possible effect on the output ?

Further, what are the sonic implications of using an (actively) regulated
power supply with a tube or MOSFET pass element?

TIA,

Jon