Doc Gorpon

Default Mastering studio suggestions?

What's the going rate for a decent mastering job? I've got a full-length that's
slightly over or under 30 minutes. I have about $150 for mastering at the
moment. Is that possible? I always have a label to take care of this stuff. But
this is a diy release, so I'm doing most of the work myself. But I don't want a
crappy mastering job. Suggestions as to who might suit my needs are welcome.

Doc Gorpon

What type of music do you wish to have mastered ?

Rgds:
Eric

Heavy metal/Punk. But I don't want the ultra-compressed mastering which is
currently in fashion. Plenty of dynamics.
Doc Gorpon

Good god. I have a place that I've used before that I like that I've been
quoted as $10 per minute. I'll think I'll go that route.

Nathan Eldred

It doesn't make sense for a mastering engineer, or any studio for that
matter, to do something for a flat rate...but I'm not doubting that it
happens everyday. I used to do flat rates for entire projects, and
after getting burned a few times causing my usual rate to be cut in
half because of the flat rate, I stopped doing it. Anybody that knows
anything about mastering knows that an album could take anywhere from
a quick 30 minutes per song (due merely to listening and evaluating
and deciding that little or nothing needs to be done to an already
great mix), to a very inconsistent mix from song to song that needs
2-3 hours per song to fix the horridness.

These extremes aren't too often in my experience, my average mastering
time is about an hour a song give or take a few minutes. And this
usually includes transfer time to and from the Ampex 1/4", which most
people choose over staying straight digital (even if through good
analog outboard when processing is necessary). Like Mike Rivers said,
$700 is a reasonable amount to get a full length mastered by a
competent engineer in a good mastering studio...but I'd expect it to
be an already great mix for that budget. Don't forget that mastering
is a subjective art, and there is no 'right or wrong way' to do
things. Give your album to Bob Katz and then Bob Ludwig and you'll
see what I mean. Having the luxury to give your input to the
mastering engineer as to how you want minor changes (after their
initial first attempt) is always important.

Don't let any mastering engineer tell you that this isn't necessary,
you and the band know when you get a master back in your hand if you
feel it's too bright, or too squashed, or not engough, or whatever the
case may be. You have to live with it, and your name is on it.
Mastering can make or break. So all I'm saying is be very weary of
thinking with your pocketbook only when pursuing a mastering job, you
will very much get what you pay for in most cases.

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

(Doc Gorpon) wrote in message ...
Good god. I have a place that I've used before that I like that I've been
quoted as $10 per minute. I'll think I'll go that route.

Infidell

MASTERING IS CRUCIAL.

I've got a lot of records that bands recorded either on their own, or
at cheaper studios that sound good and you know what? They always
have a mastering credit cause record companies large and small know
that MASTERING IS CRUCIAL.

You mentioned punk rock... I recommend Silver Sonya in Arlington, VA
(same location as Don Zientara's Inner Ear). Chad Clark is a
phenomenal mastering engineer and i think his rate is $60 an hour (at
least that's what it was a few months ago).

Carlos
Doc Gorpon

I recommend Silver Sonya in Arlington, VA
(same location as Don Zientara's Inner Ear). Chad Clark is a
phenomenal mastering engineer and i think his rate is $60 an hour (at
least that's what it was a few months ago).

I'll check that out. I've actually recorded at Inner Ear before. I've hear of
Silver Sonia.
Doc Gorpon

On the other hand, $10/minute is $700 for a full CD, which is a
perfectly reasonable working range for competent mastering. For a
short project, you can negotiate with anyone.

Ah, yes. The project is right around 30 minutes. So maybe that's where the
discrepancy between quotes I'm getting is coming from when I ask for
full-length.

Peter Larsen

Doc Gorpon wrote:

Heavy metal/Punk. But I don't want the ultra-compressed mastering
which is currently in fashion. Plenty of dynamics.

I don't want to comment on budget right now, but feel free to mail me,
it may be bottom feeding, but one has to start somewhere.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen