Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default possible to use car radio with car speakers in house?

Ok, long story short. I listen to music 99% of the time in my car.
Lately, after a long hiatus, I've gotten back into mixing, EQing, etc my
music. I learned long ago that what it sounded like in the house it
never did in the car and I'd have to readjust mixes many times until
they sounded right. Now I no longer have a home system, only the car.
Rather than continually dragging my laptop out into the car and doing
the mixes, which works because I plug into the same amp that my music
player uses, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the same car radio
and speakers in the house? I have a 2000 Mercury Sable. I've checked
on places like eBay and the radio seems available as a junk yard pull in
some cases, but with many wires so I'm not sure I could get it working
in the house. Your thoughts would be welcome. For years, I always
searched for a plug-in that would mimic what the car sounded like in the
house, but I never found one... by some miracle, maybe they have one now.

Thanks,
JBL
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 15/02/2018 1:42 PM, JBI wrote:
Ok, long story short.Â* I listen to music 99% of the time in my car.
Lately, after a long hiatus, I've gotten back into mixing, EQing, etc my
music.Â* I learned long ago that what it sounded like in the house it
never did in the car and I'd have to readjust mixes many times until
they sounded right.Â* Now I no longer have a home system, only the car.
Rather than continually dragging my laptop out into the car and doing
the mixes, which works because I plug into the same amp that my music
player uses, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the same car radio
and speakers in the house?Â* I have a 2000 Mercury Sable.Â* I've checked
on places like eBay and the radio seems available as a junk yard pull in
some cases, but with many wires so I'm not sure I could get it working
in the house.Â* Your thoughts would be welcome.Â* For years, I always
searched for a plug-in that would mimic what the car sounded like in the
house, but I never found one... by some miracle, maybe they have one now.

You are on the wrong track entirely. The radio itself will make bugger
all difference. The same speakers you could put into boxes and use in
the house which will get you about 20% of the way. The other 80% is the
listening space. ie replicating the car interior (and possibly the
surrounding environment like road noise etc.) inside your house is not
very practical! However mimicking the frequency response and
reverberation characteristics of the car interior is pretty easy. But
don't expect it to sound exactly like the car.

The real question you should be asking yourself is why on earth would
you want to master for one particular crap environment when all the
commercial recordings you play there are not?

Trevor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15-02-2018 03:42, JBI wrote:

Ok, long story short. I listen to music 99% of the time in my car.
Lately, after a long hiatus, I've gotten back into mixing, EQing, etc my
music.

What do you mean when you write this? - do you create music or are we
taking creating muzak tapes of other peoples music?

I learned long ago that what it sounded like in the house it
never did in the car and I'd have to readjust mixes many times until
they sounded right. Now I no longer have a home system, only the car.
Rather than continually dragging my laptop out into the car and doing
the mixes, which works because I plug into the same amp that my music
player uses, I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the same car radio
and speakers in the house? I have a 2000 Mercury Sable. I've checked
on places like eBay and the radio seems available as a junk yard pull in
some cases, but with many wires so I'm not sure I could get it working
in the house. Your thoughts would be welcome. For years, I always
searched for a plug-in that would mimic what the car sounded like in the
house, but I never found one... by some miracle, maybe they have one now.

Cars are special acoustic environments. Some bass frequency bands
resonate in them, some pass directly through the panels and bugger the
pedestrians. Overall however they are dominated by a very absorbent
interior and the large room gain at low frequencies that exists in a
small volume.

Get a proper system for playback in the living room, KEF Coaxials, Q15
or larger, Q30 are usable as nearfield full range monitors, I do just
that with my videoediting computer with a Sansui 217 mk II amplifier
that was fairly cheap considering that I wanted just that. Or look for
something Rotel at garagesales and fleamarkets.

Thanks,
JBL

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/02/2018 3:42 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

One would hope you are joking.

If not, go to any car store and buy a similar car audio setup, and mount
the speakers in a box similar size shape to your car doors.

Then when you process the music, twiddle a graphic EQ around in order to
severely stuff up the sound, and add a noise generator. You could
twiddle away at this in real-time until you hit the right combinations
of the above to give you the sound you evidently want.

The reason why there is no custom plugin for this - because nobody in
their right mind would want it !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/15/2018 5:04 AM, geoff wrote:
The reason why there is no custom plugin for this - because nobody in
their right mind would want it !

There are plug-ins that simulate various listening environments. Anybody
in his right mind who is mixing music that might be played in a car
would do well to at least get an idea of how it sounds in a car. You
don't want to mix with such a plug-in in line, but rather, mix on
trustworthy monitors, check for too much or too little of something with
the plug-in, then go back to the monitors and make adjustments for the
best compromise.

Here's one with a free trial (but it's kind of expensive)

https://shop.audified.com/products/mixchecker

Some studios in the 1970s and 80s used a low power FM transmitter to
broadcast to a car, often the client's, in the parking lot, to check
mixes. But the point is that you CHECK the mix in the car, you don't mix
in it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

What has yet to be mentioned is the processing normally done by radio stations before the sound gets to your radio. You'd need at least an Orban Optimod and probabaly 1 or 2 other gain reduction boxes to get in the ballpark of what a radio station sounds like.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message news
On 2/15/2018 5:04 AM, geoff wrote:
The reason why there is no custom plugin for this - because nobody in
their right mind would want it !

There are plug-ins that simulate various listening environments. Anybody
in his right mind who is mixing music that might be played in a car
would do well to at least get an idea of how it sounds in a car.

Can those plug-ins simulate different models of cars? Music in my cargo van
sounds a lot different in my wife's Ford Fusion.
(I can see it now....people making IRs of Honda's, Toyotas, Chevy's,
etc....would make a good Cheech n' Chong bit)

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/15/2018 12:53 PM, polymod wrote:
Can those plug-ins simulate different models of cars? Music in my cargo
van sounds a lot different in my wife's Ford Fusion.

I reviewed a gadget from Focusrite that I don't think they make any more
that was a D/A converter + room simulator + headphone amplifier that had
a sedan and a van simulation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/02/2018 02:42, JBI wrote:
[...]

If you can record an impulse response in your car, (A clicker, a
frequency sweep and a recorder) and you have a good, flat, monitoring
setup, then Voxengo sell a convolution reverb program and a deconovolver
program that can take a recorded impulse response from your car, and
apply that as a VST effect to your mix, so you will hear roughly what it
will sound like in your car.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message news
On 2/15/2018 12:53 PM, polymod wrote:
Can those plug-ins simulate different models of cars? Music in my cargo
van sounds a lot different in my wife's Ford Fusion.

I reviewed a gadget from Focusrite that I don't think they make any more
that was a D/A converter + room simulator + headphone amplifier that had
a sedan and a van simulation.

For some reason this made me laugh like hell. Thanks for the info.

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 02/14/2018 09:42 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the responses, but all taken care of. I had some music that
has had some artifacts for quite some time that needed removed. I've
put up with them for several years in the car, but finally wanted to try
and negate them. I used Izotope and problem solved.

As for mixing other stuff, I just won't get into the headache again of
mixing between house and car, so all of that will be on the back burner
for now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nobody should be mastering anything for
any specific listening environment. Just
make it sound as good as possible, and
most systems will unobtrusively filter out
what portions they are not capable of
reproducing.

(waiting for all the "it's not that simple"
rants that are inevitable...)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , JBI wrote:
Do you want a system in your home that sounds like the car?

The car sounds the way it does because:

1. It has crappy speakers with the metal body of the car used as the cabinet
so there are some odd resonances.

2. The speakers aren't pointed at the listener.

3. The listener is way off-center out of the sweet spot.

4. The room volume is very small (and the room is tightly sealed so the Q
is high, unless you drive with the windows down). So you have some bass
oddities.

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces are not
parallel.

Now, you can take some cheap car speakers and put them in boxes without about
the same volume as the chambers behind them in the car. You can fill up the
spaces behind the speakers in the car with packing peanuts, then put the
peanuts in a box and figure out how many cubic inches they fill up. You can
connect them to a home power amp and it will do what you say you want. But it
won't really sound like the car does.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

-----------------------

The car sounds the way it does because:

1. It has crappy speakers with the metal body of the car used as the cabinet
so there are some odd resonances.

2. The speakers aren't pointed at the listener.

3. The listener is way off-center out of the sweet spot.

4. The room volume is very small (and the room is tightly sealed so the Q
is high, unless you drive with the windows down). So you have some bass
oddities.

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces are not
parallel.

** Gotta dispute that last one - sedan cars are very absorptive to sound, due to abundant use of upholstery, carpet and roof padding.

The sound quality might be described as "intimate" with fake stereo imaging and lots of bass boom.

Listening to the average car stereo is like being stuck inside a Juke box.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces are not
parallel.

** Gotta dispute that last one - sedan cars are very absorptive to sound, due to abundant use of upholstery, carpet and roof padding.

You're absolutely right. And because of that and the small distances, the big
reflections off the windows are perceived as comb filtering effects and weird
imaging effects instead of as reverberation.

The sound quality might be described as "intimate" with fake stereo imaging and lots of bass boom.

It is strange, indeed. I have known studios that had junk cars in the back
specifically to get a sense of what playback in a car would sound like,
because it is so different than any other common acoustical situation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 19/02/2018 3:26 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces are not
parallel.

** Gotta dispute that last one - sedan cars are very absorptive to sound, due to abundant use of upholstery, carpet and roof padding.

You're absolutely right. And because of that and the small distances, the big
reflections off the windows are perceived as comb filtering effects and weird
imaging effects instead of as reverberation.

The sound quality might be described as "intimate" with fake stereo imaging and lots of bass boom.

It is strange, indeed. I have known studios that had junk cars in the back
specifically to get a sense of what playback in a car would sound like,
because it is so different than any other common acoustical situation.
--scott

Presumably just as a 'check' , not as the prime mixing or mastering
objective !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
It is strange, indeed. I have known studios that had junk cars in the back
specifically to get a sense of what playback in a car would sound like,
because it is so different than any other common acoustical situation.

Presumably just as a 'check' , not as the prime mixing or mastering
objective !

Of course. Because it's both a really weird acoustic AND a very common
listening environment (maybe at the time the most common one), a check
mix in a car is important.

I admit that I have mixed in the back of a car doing live broadcast feeds
at a festival, but I would not recommend this situation to my worst enemy.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

---------------------

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces are not parallel.

** Gotta dispute that last one - sedan cars are very absorptive to sound, due to abundant use of upholstery, carpet and roof padding.

You're absolutely right. And because of that and the small distances,
the big reflections off the windows are perceived as comb filtering
effects and weird imaging effects instead of as reverberation.

** Window panes are flat so vibrate in sympathy with bass frequencies - letting them escape. The curved windows fitted to cars are far more rigid.

It is strange, indeed. I have known studios that had junk cars in the back
specifically to get a sense of what playback in a car would sound like,
because it is so different than any other common acoustical situation.

** A voice over booth has many of the same things.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Phil AllisonÂ* wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces
are not
Â*Â*Â* parallel.

** Gotta dispute that last oneÂ* -Â* sedan cars are very absorptive to
sound, due to abundant use of upholstery, carpet and roof padding.

You're absolutely right.Â* And because of that and the small distances,
the big
reflections off the windows are perceived as comb filtering effects
and weird
imaging effects instead of as reverberation.

The sound quality might be described as "intimate" with fake stereo
imaging and lots of bass boom.

It is strange, indeed.Â* I have known studios that had junk cars in the
back
specifically to get a sense of what playback in a car would sound like,
because it is so different than any other common acoustical situation.

Presumably just as a 'check' , not as the prime mixing or mastering
objective !

I have never seen the point given the fact that there are thousands of
different cars with different sound systems and different acoustic
spaces that all sound ..... different! I just master for good sound on a
flat system in a good environment. People who listen on crap and/or in
crap conditions are used to it anyway. Not my problem.
Now in the days where people seriously worried about what a pop40 single
would sound like on a portable AM radio, given that was their prime
market, there was some justification in checking that. These days
checking on earbuds is what is required for that music.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor: re earbuds

I wouldn't suggest mastering for earbuds
any more than I for car door speakers.

Can't believe a thread for such an awful
idea is still seeing activity on it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 9:42:49 PM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
[...]

JBL? You make Speakers? :-)
Just rambling.... Decades ago (early 70's), I acquired a used 4 track car tape player from a friend. I hooked it up in the house and it was working, but had no 4 track cartridge tapes to play (only 8 track). I went to, maybe even Pep Boys, to see what could be bought. There, I found a Cozy Cole (drummer) 4 track tape, loaded it into the car player, and was pleased with the Big Band sound!

As one member of a Top 40 music group reported to me, their hit song was mixed with a pair of car speakers. Not sure any advantage doing it, but interesting to discover.

My HOME system is a 15 year old Acer Laptop (my mastering studio, too). I used it with a pair of Sony 7650(?) headphones, and it brings me great joy how well it sounds.

Good luck.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 7:17:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Nobody should be mastering anything for
any specific listening environment. Just
make it sound as good as possible, and
most systems will unobtrusively filter out
what portions they are not capable of
reproducing.

(waiting for all the "it's not that simple"
rants that are inevitable...)

I feel you should consider what MOST people use to listen. Cheap computer speakers are popular, so why not slightly adjust the mix for them. They typically don't like lots of bass, they distort, so you should conserve.
Just my two cents

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]

You WON'T get this stereo from RCA or BMG. What is mentioned in my video is 100% true...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqzGTD7io4U

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

Yep, and perform music for the tone-deaf snip

I played bass on a gig in the mid 70's for deaf/extremely hearing impaired
folks. The band leader didn't tell me until I got to the gig fearing I'd
back out.
Turned out to be one of the best gigs I ever played. They danced every song
by feeling the vibrations in the floor. Had me turn way up to help 'em feel
the pulse.

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote:
Nobody should be mastering anything for
any specific listening environment.Â* Just
make it sound as good as possible, and
most systems will unobtrusively filter out
what portions they are not capable of
reproducing.

(waiting for all the "it's not that simple"
rants that are inevitable...)

I feel you should consider what MOST people use to listen. Cheap
computer speakers are popular, so why not slightly adjust the mix for
them. They typically don't like lots of bass, they distort, so you
should conserve.
Just my two cents

Yep, and perform music for the tone-deaf, and cook for those with no
sense of taste, and take blurry photos.

As usual so many people don't get the difference between "mastering" for
earbuds, and simply checking there are NO problems after you have
mastered on your big speakers. It's the easiest way to check for phase
problems, and yet some commercial recordings still suffer from issues we
saw back in the sixties when stereo first became the norm. :-(

And with pan pot stereo, if half of your market is listening on earbuds,
it is pretty stupid IMO to create "hole in the head" mixes just because
you don't think anyone should be listening that way. We certainly aren't
talking about orchestral recordings here!

Trevor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote: "And with pan pot stereo, if half of your market is listening on earbuds,
it is pretty stupid IMO to create "hole in the head" mixes just because
you don't think anyone should be listening that way. We certainly aren't
talking about orchestral recordings here! "

Go ahead: Master for the least common
denominator in playback devices. I just
won't buy the **** - and will make sure
nobody else does.

Word of mouth is a good friend!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckma crapped his pants message

I just won't buy the **** -

Nobody gives a **** what you buy, li'l buddy.

and will make sure nobody else does.

Impotent threat from a delusional retard.

Word of mouth is a good friend!

Everyone knows you're a dumb ****; nobody takes any of your short-bus spew
seriously. LFSFS. DKO!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "
Hey! The guy isn't mastering for you, he's wanting to make copies for
his own use that sound better in the car than what he's getting now. "

I was quoting Trveor's recent reply
concerning ear buds - not much better
than the OP's car door scenario.

Ooohh how far audio fidelity has fallen
in 20+ years.... !
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote: "
Hey! The guy isn't mastering for you, he's wanting to make copies for
his own use that sound better in the car than what he's getting now. "

I was quoting Trveor's recent reply
concerning ear buds - not much better
than the OP's car door scenario.

Ooohh how far audio fidelity has fallen
in 20+ years.... !

You think so?

Thirty years ago, my boss wouldn't ship any 45 that wouldn't track on a
Close 'N Play, and he kept a Close 'N Play on his desk for just that
purpose. Everything had to be cut with the Close 'N Play in mind.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey:

You mean like a Fisher Price kid's phono, or
a Califone school record player? That's sad!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Scott Dorsey:

You mean like a Fisher Price kid's phono, or
a Califone school record player? That's sad!

WAY poorer tracking than a Califone. The idea being that if it tracked
on a Close 'N Play, it wouldn't skip on a jukebox.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

WAY poorer tracking than a Califone. The idea being that if it tracked
on a Close 'N Play, it wouldn't skip on a jukebox.

so what were the attributes of a mix that allowed it to track on a close n play?

limited peak amplitude in the bass?

limited L/R separation in the bass?

or something in the treble range?

mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

WAY poorer tracking than a Califone. The idea being that if it tracked
on a Close 'N Play, it wouldn't skip on a jukebox.

so what were the attributes of a mix that allowed it to track on a close n play?

limited peak amplitude in the bass?

Surprisingly you could put a lot of bass on there without any issue. More
of a problem putting much top end on because the playback system was slew
limited; the stylus just can't move fast enough.

Any stuff in the sub-20Hz range though would make it go berserk because
there's an arm resonance somewhere around 10 to 20 Hz on a lot of those
cheap turntables and this was even worse.

limited L/R separation in the bass?

ZERO L/R separation in the bass. If bass instruments weren't mixed to the
center, an elliptical filter will fix that. But babying the groove depth
can help a lot if you are trying to get a lot of L-R information on the
discs.

Wide pitch is easier to track and causes fewer problems, and of course you
can cut a lot hotter with the wide pitch. But, there's only so hot you can
cut, and if you have two loud notes at the same points on adjacent grooves
they can be too close. So if you wind up with that, you can recut and start
at a slightly different point to make the peaks come out farther apart.

A little limiting can help but much of it and it just brings your loudness
down, and what you want is to get as much groove excursion as possible
without the grooves being too close to one another and without so much lateral
movement.

You can cut wider and deeper and get more loudness and good stability but
then you only get a minute or so on a side. It's all about juggling
level with running time with the playback system being the primary limitation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/21/2018 1:02 PM, geoff wrote:
He wants to master stuff for his own domestic and whatever else use, so
that is sounds like it does in his car !

Maybe so. But it could be that his mixes in the house are bad enough so
that they sound better in the car. But I'm not going to look in the
archive to re-read the original post.