Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

Old November 11th 18, 01:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

Default Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

On 11/11/2018 3:33 AM, Dr2 wrote:
> I'd grab a USB audio interface with 8 mic-inputs (like a Presonus
> AudioBox or a Focusrite Scarlet) and a laptop and go do the gig with the
> included software mixer.**** These days, the first generation interfaces
> like those are nearly give-aways.

Whether this will work for you depends a lot on the kind of gigs you do,
and also what your generation is. Ron has been around for a long time,
and while I know he keeps up with digital things, I know that his work
at least used to be primarily with acoustic acts. That's what I do and I
find it next to impossible to work with one of today's digital consoles,
and would never consider mixing a live show with a mouse.

A modern digital console works really well for bands that are reasonably
well rehearsed, can keep fairly constant levels on stage, and are
playing the kind of music that doesn't change too much during a song.
You can have a preset for every song in your set list to accommodate
different singers, instrument changes, and effects, but with the acts
that I work with, if I'm not constantly making small changes, things
fall apart pretty quickly. Someone who grew up playing computer games
might have the ability to handle that pretty well, but that's not me.

Somehow, I think that Ron is a hands-on kind of guy.

Old November 11th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_]

On 11/11/2018 7:28 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 3:33 AM, Dr2 wrote:
>> I'd grab a USB audio interface with 8 mic-inputs (like a Presonus
>> AudioBox or a Focusrite Scarlet) and a laptop and go do the gig with
>> the included software mixer.**** These days, the first generation
>> interfaces like those are nearly give-aways.

> Whether this will work for you depends a lot on the kind of gigs you do,
> and also what your generation is. Ron has been around for a long time,
> and while I know he keeps up with digital things, I know that his work
> at least used to be primarily with acoustic acts. That's what I do and I
> find it next to impossible to work with one of today's digital consoles,
> and would never consider mixing a live show with a mouse.
>
> A modern digital console works really well for bands that are reasonably
> well rehearsed, can keep fairly constant levels on stage, and are
> playing the kind of music that doesn't change too much during a song.
> You can have a preset for every song in your set list to accommodate
> different singers, instrument changes, and effects, but with the acts
> that I work with, if I'm not constantly making small changes, things
> fall apart pretty quickly. Someone who grew up playing computer games
> might have the ability to handle that pretty well, but that's not me.
>
> Somehow, I think that Ron is a hands-on kind of guy.

Mike, I think you've nailed my profile/MO. I have no problem
mixing stuff down on a computer, but for me, live sound
tends to need knobs and faders. :-) [YMMV]

Thanks for all the input.

Old November 11th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr2

On 11/11/2018 7:25 AM, Ron C wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 7:28 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 11/11/2018 3:33 AM, Dr2 wrote:
>>> I'd grab a USB audio interface with 8 mic-inputs (like a Presonus
>>> AudioBox or a Focusrite Scarlet) and a laptop and go do the gig with
>>> the included software mixer. These days, the first generation
>>> interfaces like those are nearly give-aways.

>> Whether this will work for you depends a lot on the kind of gigs you
>> do, and also what your generation is. Ron has been around for a long
>> time, and while I know he keeps up with digital things, I know that
>> his work at least used to be primarily with acoustic acts. That's what
>> I do and I find it next to impossible to work with one of today's
>> digital consoles, and would never consider mixing a live show with a
>> mouse.
>>
>> A modern digital console works really well for bands that are
>> reasonably well rehearsed, can keep fairly constant levels on stage,
>> and are playing the kind of music that doesn't change too much during
>> a song. You can have a preset for every song in your set list to
>> accommodate different singers, instrument changes, and effects, but
>> with the acts that I work with, if I'm not constantly making small
>> changes, things fall apart pretty quickly. Someone who grew up playing
>> computer games might have the ability to handle that pretty well, but
>> that's not me.
>>
>> Somehow, I think that Ron is a hands-on kind of guy.
>>

> Mike, I think you've nailed my profile/MO. I have no problem
> mixing stuff down on a computer, but for me, live sound
> tends to need knobs and faders. :-) [YMMV]
>
> Thanks for all the input.

You're quite right. I was thinking more about the set-it-and-leave-it
type act which just needs a couple tweaks in soundcheck, and then can be
left alone for the most part.
I thought about bringing along a control surface for the more hands-on
type act, but then I've gotten back up to the point where I might just
as well bring a small analog mixer.

Old November 11th 18, 10:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/11/2018 3:25 AM, Ron C wrote:

> Mike, I think you've nailed my profile/MO. I have no problem
> mixing stuff down on a computer, but for me, live sound
> tends to need knobs and faders. :-)* [YMMV]
>
> Thanks for all the input.

I've got a digital mixer that has knobs and faders, and switches ....

Old November 11th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 11/11/2018 4:29 PM, geoff wrote:
> I've got a digital mixer that has knobs and faders, and switches* ....

But not enough of either! With the exception of the faders (which on
most digital mixers can have multiple functions) you have to push some
buttons before the knob that you have available does what you want. One
moment it can be a pan, another moment it can be the frequency of an
equalizer peak, and then the next moment it's the boost or cut at that
frequency. and a minute later it can be the level of a channel in one
player's monitor mix.

Digital mixers can do everything that analog mixers can, and then some,
but other than adjusting levels in a single mix, they're slower to
operate and require more concentration on operating, and distract from
listening to what you or the players are doing. The reason why "the
really big shows" love them is because they can preset and recall
everything and all they have to do is little tweaks. We little guys who
do festivals with a completely different band every half hour can't take
advantage of those tools and have to work by the seat of our pants
without one hand tied behind our back.

Old November 12th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_]

On 11/11/2018 4:44 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 11/11/2018 4:29 PM, geoff wrote:
>> I've got a digital mixer that has knobs and faders, and switches* ....

> But not enough of either! With the exception of the faders (which on
> most digital mixers can have multiple functions) you have to push some
> buttons before the knob that you have available does what you want. One
> moment it can be a pan, another moment it can be the frequency of an
> equalizer peak, and then the next moment it's the boost or cut at that
> frequency. and a minute later it can be the level of a channel in one
> player's monitor mix.
>
> Digital mixers can do everything that analog mixers can, and then some,
> but other than adjusting levels in a single mix, they're slower to
> operate and require more concentration on operating, and distract from
> listening to what you or the players are doing. The reason why "the
> really big shows" love them is because they can preset and recall
> everything and all they have to do is little tweaks. We little guys who
> do festivals with a completely different band every half hour can't take
> advantage of those tools and have to work by the seat of our pants
> without one hand tied behind our back.

Another thing with digital mixers, if you don't use it frequently you'll
[well, at least I ] would need to spend a bunch of time refreshing one's
self with all the layers and sequences and such when you pull it out.
One can figure out most analog boards by just looking at them.
Familiarity results in quicker optimization and fewer errors.
~~
I spent a lot of time in an all acoustic [um, in theory] venue that did a
new band every half hour, no set lists, and frequently didn't even know
how many band members .. very much seat of the pants.

....as usual YMMV
--
==
Later...

FS: Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO Cheapseller Pro Audio 0 August 16th 04 07:10 PM
FS: Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO Cheapseller Marketplace 0 August 16th 04 07:06 PM
Mackie 1604-VLZ PRO Mark Pro Audio 0 October 13th 03 07:45 AM
Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO Mark Marketplace 0 October 9th 03 06:26 PM
Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO Mark Marketplace 0 October 9th 03 06:26 PM