Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

Default Living Room Home Theater Suggestions

Hello,

I am setting up a home theater system for a new 50 inch TH-50PH9UK
display. I already have a progressive scan DVD player with component
video output (not HDMI) and digital audio output. I am mounting the
display over a fireplace, so it will be higher than normal viewing
height. As such, I am looking for an A/V receiver that supports
multiple inputs and HDMI output. I will then run all devices into the
A/V receiver and run one HDMI leg from the receiver to the display
through the wall cavity over the fireplace.

The layout in the room is a bit of an odd arrangement for home theater
requirements as most of the seating will be off to one side or the
other. Also, the floorplan is open (see diagram below for reference),
so there will be some viewing from stools at a high countertop in an
adjoining room, though I am not concerning my self with providing
speakers specifically for these outside viewpoints.

For a speaker arrangement, I was thinking of a 5.1 arrangement,
utilizing only the front left right and read surround speakers full
time and including the center channel if I am watching a movie. I
would like to mount all speakers high on the walls in the corner,
where the walls and the ceiling meet, with the speakers angled
downward. I know the suggestions and requirements for home theaters
are to keep speakers at ear level, but what are the effects of high
mounted speakers? Given the height of the display, is this
configuration acceptable?

Also, is it possible to mount the surround speakers behind viewers as
opposed to the side of the viewers as such an arrangement would put
the speakers right next to the viewers ears, which I don't think would
be good. Again, I would like to mount these rear surround speakers
high on the wall.

If the rear surround speakers will not work, I suppose I could try a
2.1 arrangement or some virtual surround system. If this is the case,
could somebody recommend one that supports HDMI output? Also, is it
possible to install a 5.1 A/V receiver but only use the front left/
right channels and subwoofer, or would there be audio content that
would then be excluded completely? The reason being that I could use
the same 5.1 receiver in a future home theater in a different room/
house.

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?
Additionally, does anyone have any input/recommendations on the
speaker arrangement I have proposed, and/or brands?

Thanks.

John

Floorplan Diagram
_____________________________