Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default reliability and replacement of Mag ribbon tweeters?

chung wrote in message ...
wrote:
The difference is that there may be little or no resistance in that
path, whereas in your case there is the attenuator in the path.

In my box, the attenuators are not in the tape loop. The input signal
from each source splits. One branch goes to the tape loop, the other
goes through the attenuators to the power amp. The tape loop device is
in parallel with the attenuators and power amp. But even though
they're separate branches of the signal, they're not isolated from
each other so clamping in one branch could affect the signal in the
other branch.

As I said earlier, the likely culprit is the analog switch or op-amps,
or protection diodes on the PCB, in your recorder. The analog switch is
typically a pair of CMOS transistors. When no power is applied to the
unit, these switches act like diodes to the supply voltages, which are
at ground level. Therefore you get the clamping action, meaning gross
distortion starting at a few tenths of a volt. That was why when you
were listening via headphones, you did not hear the distortion, since
the level is much lower.

Actually I did hear the distortion on headphones. I was using HD-580s
which are relative inefficient 300 ohm phones so the voltage needed to
drive them is a little higher than most other headphones. On the
speakers, the distortion wasn't "gross" or obvious. Several different
people listening to the system never heard it. It was audible only on
certain well recorded acoustic music passages, during big dynamics.

But it's true that low level signals did not produce the distortion.
When I used my portable CD player as a source device, the distortion
wasn't there. The line out of the CD player is only 0.7 volts instead
of the 2.05 volts of my Rotel.

The fact that you have a passive attenuator makes the distortion fairly
obvious, but even if you have an active preamp, you will still have the
problem, since those diodes clamp the voltage going to the power amp.
You need to leave the recorder powered up, or switch it out so that the
preamp does not see it, using a mechanical switch when the recorder is
powered off. RS and Sony both sell simple mechanical switches for very
little money. Or you can build your own, using a pair of mechanical
switches from RS.

Yes and active circuits can veil subtle distortions. When I ran the
signal through a high quality headphone amp the distortion was still
audible, but not quite as easy to hear as it was through the passive
preamp. Even a preamp that measures well and sounds clean and neutral
still veils the sound slightly compared to a straight wire.