Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default Good to see this is still here!

I was a regular here many years ago. Rec.audio.pro (along with several years in the sound program at Columbia College) helped reinforce my understanding of professional audio. I learned a lot, and loved reading the commentary and debates among and between seasoned professionals.

Seems few people even know about Usenet any more. The web forums have a few decent folks, but also plenty of bedroom kids waxing philosophical about magical VST plugins or their "collection" of 500 series modules. Focusrite Scarlett. Bah.

Had a nice convo with Mark McQuilken a few years ago when I called him about some knobs for an RNC-500. We reminisced about what a great forum this was. What a wonderful resource, if only one was willing to listen and to ask. Then the trolls came to play, the web content sites vacuumed up some of the pros to serve as moderators, and Usenet fell from the public consciousness. Sigh. With all we've gained, we've lost at least as much.

Anyway, I have nothing substantive to add. Just wanted to say hello. I'm glad to see some of the great people are still here. There's literally nothing out there in the universe as informative as r.a.p. circa 2000. Saved my ass more than once. It was my compass and my North Star. Keep on keepin' on.

-Pete