Nicholas Currie Schmuck

Default Please help: First DIY Loudspeaker project

Im pondering the idea of building some loudspeakers as my hobby this
summer, and Im wondering if it would be a waste of money, or if on your
first time you can make a fairly reasonable product. Im not looking to
spend too much money, since its my first shot at it. Id like to build
some bookshelf speakers, and Ive found some drivers that Id consider
using. All the components are McIntosh - Mcintosh 5-1/4 inch poly double
magnet midrange woofers, McIntosh stereo tweeters (4 ohm speakers with a
1 inch voice coil). I have access to an extensive woodshop that I can use
to build the cabinet. Id certainly spend some time researching as to the
proper method to build good speakers, but Im trying to gauge whether or
not its worth the effort to do so, or if they will come out sounding like
the 25 dollar Aiwa speakers from Best Buy. How much would i expect to
spend in addition to the drivers? Id liket o do it for ~200 bucks, so
there is obviously limitations on the quality that i can
achieve. Thanks for any input in advance!
-Nick

chris

Check out Wilmslow Audio they do some very nice boxes that you can
customise if you want.
He does a thing on one of the cable diy progs, I think it called John
workshop or something.
My dad made some 30 yrs ago and they were brill (at the time).
Chris

"Nicholas Currie Schmuck" wrote in message
[...]

Jeff Hawkins

"Nicholas Currie Schmuck" wrote in message
Im pondering the idea of building some loudspeakers as my hobby this
summer, and Im wondering if it would be a waste of money, or if on your
first time you can make a fairly reasonable product.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I am not speaking from the
experience of having done it. But, I have looked in great detail at a lot of
speakers recently. It seems to me, the biggest difference between the best
speakers and the crappy ones is quality of material and workmanship. I.e.
Not cabinet design. This is especially true of bookshelves, as they are
almost always just plain square boxes with insulation inside. Again, I
haven't cut up too many high end bookshelves, but I have had the speakers
out of one or two...

If you build a good thick box (heavy, so it isn't tossed around by the
speakers as they vibrate), put a good crossover and good drivers in it, and
get the dimensions close, you will not end up with garbage. Most likely,
they will be pretty sweet.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.
Cheers!.

Turntables: MMf 2.1 vs Project 1.2? Michael Volow General 0 May 18th 04 11:55 PM
Music Hall MMF 2.1 vs Project 1.2 turntables? Michael Volow Audio Opinions 0 May 18th 04 03:52 PM
Need advice for Project tom Car Audio 7 May 11th 04 09:17 PM
Counterpoint - Examples of technically-competent appearing small loudspeaker projects on the web. Arny Krueger Audio Opinions 20 October 14th 03 11:49 AM
"Project Gramophone" discussion group started -- do contribute ... Jon Noring General 0 August 9th 03 03:51 PM