Bill Pallies

Default Blaupunkt SF vs. Eclipse CD8053

Hi all,

I'm going to buy a new headunit in the next month or so and have narrowed it
down to either the Blaupunkt San Francisco CD72 or the Eclipse CD8053.

I like the Blau for it's included microphone RTA-ish setup option (with 9
band graphic, 4 band parametric), but the Eclipse has time alignment
(millisecond time-delay circuit to provide better imaging I suppose) and a 5
band parametric EQ. Both cost about the same (though I could probably swing
a better deal on the Blau). What do y'all think? Thanks

Steve Grauman

Save some cash, get the Eclipse CD8443, and never look back. I was considering
the same 2 decks you are, and ended up with the 8443, it's just a better deal,
and you won't notice a difference in sound quality.
Bill Pallies

Just curious, what are the differences between the 8053 and the 8443 besides
the balanced outputs and remote control differences (both of which mean not
a great deal to me)?

Also what should I expect to pay for the 8443?

Thanks,
-Bill

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
Save some cash, get the Eclipse CD8443, and never look back. I was

considering
the same 2 decks you are, and ended up with the 8443, it's just a better

deal,
and you won't notice a difference in sound quality.

Bill Pallies

So that's it? The 8443 has the same EQ setup and time alignment and all that
good stuff? If so, then I think I'll take your advice and save the money.
Thanks.

-Bill

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
The 8053 has the "nob" remote (Which I've used, it's nothing special), and

the
ability to produce 16v "balanced" volts from it's pre-amp outs if you

spend
extra money on the balanced output adapter. Otherwise, the 8053 uses a set

of
the same ridiculously high 8 volt outputs that the 8443 has. I listened to

the
8053 with the balanced line adapter and heard no difference. Even in a
competition environment, I can't imagine it making any real difference.

Pricing
varies from shop to shop, but part of what made me jump for the 8443 is

that I
get the deck, dash kit, wiring harness, and installation for $440!

pittwm

I just got my 8443 installed, replacing an Alpine 9813. Man, what a
difference in SQ. Much more details I hear now with the 8443 than the
Alpine and I get much better sub bass with less output voltage (it seems
to defy physic but I'm running approx 54V on my JL 1000/1 now to get the
same impact as when I was running it 63.2V with the alpine).

Does anyone know why my eclipse is causing turn on thump now which I
didn't have with my Alpine? I posted on the rec.audio.car some more
detail of my prob. if anyone is interested.

Any suggestions are helpful & much appreciated...
--
pittwm
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=156134

Steve Grauman

I just got my 8443 installed, replacing an Alpine 9813. Man, what a
difference in SQ. Much more details I hear now with the 8443 than the
Alpine and I get much better sub bass

I listened to the 9813 late last year, and opted to pass it up while I waited
for the 9815 and Eclipse's new decks to come out. The 9815 is a huge step over
the 9813, without costing much more, and it adds Bass Engine Pro. But I
listened to the 8443 aganist the 9815 and Pioneer's Premier DEH-P940MP (which
dealers want over $700 for!) and found that the Eclipse seemed to reproduce the
best sound. If Mark is reading these posts, he'll probably remind me of Car
Sound's article which I guess claims that there shouldn't be an audible
difference between decks, but I certainly heard one. The 8443's 24 bit D/A
converter and advanced processing seems to make a lot of difference. In fact, I
prefer the way it sounds to Nakamichi's decks, and found it on level with
Pioneer's P9 competition deck. I have yet to hear Alpine's F#1 Status deck
(which I hear isn't anywhere near worth the money they want for it, unless you
plan on using it to head-up a multimedia showcase in your car) but I can't
imagine the difference is all that big.
pittwm

While I was waiting to pick up the Eclipse last week @ the shop, another
customer was demo Eagles-Hell freezes over on some B&W 800 series home
speakers. I listen to track #6, Hotel California, alot in the car when I
have the Alpine. A minute or so into the song when the kick bass
started, I thought to myself "I didn't know it sounded like that". The
Alpine was not reproducing the bass that way.

I wrote it off as being a car system and didn't think about it much.
However, the 8443 was making the kick bass sound much closer to what I
heard on the B&W that day.
--
pittwm
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=156134

pittwm

Right that, the B&W's certainly made a difference, it was on a home
theater demo system, Rotel components, I think.

Mind was Alpine in the car, then Eclipse in the car. The Eclipse have
more detail sub bass, it seems.
--
pittwm
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=156134

Paul Vina

I've had both Alpine and Eclipse units and the only difference I noted was
that the midbass was fuller with the Alpine. At first the Eclipse sounded
like it was more detailed, but I metered both of them and did some serious
listening and when eq'd they both sounded fantastic but I felt the Alpine
was a little "truer".

Paul Vina

s.com...