Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Wow, just discovered VariAudio 2.0 in Cubase 5

http://www.musictech.net/2013/05/cub...vocal-editing/

Nothing new to all you full-time pros, but for me, this is an incredibly
powerful tool! Didn't know it was sitting right in front of me.

All the big-time singers get digital help, so why not the local
singers.

Just blows my mind. No wonder Neal Schon doesn't trust
Protools audition tapes anymore. He had one too many in-person
auditions that sucked compared to the demo CD!

At least auto-tune appears to be more limited in a live
vocal situation, but man, if it's in digital form, ANYONE can sound
good these days...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/5/2014 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:

http://www.musictech.net/2013/05/cub...vocal-editing/

Nothing new to all you full-time pros, but for me, this is an incredibly
powerful tool! Didn't know it was sitting right in front of me.

All the big-time singers get digital help, so why not the local
singers.

Just blows my mind. No wonder Neal Schon doesn't trust
Protools audition tapes anymore. He had one too many in-person
auditions that sucked compared to the demo CD!

At least auto-tune appears to be more limited in a live
vocal situation, but man, if it's in digital form, ANYONE can sound
good these days...

I'm wondering, can you apply this, and other voice auto-tuners, to
things like trombones, and violins, etc, where the intonation can often
be off?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Paul wrote:
I'm wondering, can you apply this, and other voice auto-tuners, to
things like trombones, and violins, etc, where the intonation can often
be off?

Sometimes, if you are careful with it. With a lot of instruments it will
make some weird artifacts but if you do it on only a single note here and
there on a cleanly isolated track it can work out.

I find it's almost always easier to cut and paste a note from another part
of the piece, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:32:41 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

I'm wondering, can you apply this, and other voice auto-tuners, to

things like trombones, and violins, etc, where the intonation can often

be off?

I've used melodyne to fix egregious notes on upright and electric basses (in singer songwriter things and rock, never jazz I promise!) and recently I even changed a note I didn't like in an otherwise terrific accordion performance. If you're very sparing with it and the track is well isolated it can work just fine. But don't get carried away- if you fall into the "auto tune cave"- that is the slippery slope microscope world of tuning, you'll waste a lot of time and just ruin your tracks. Better to get them right on the way in.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/5/2014 7:24 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
On Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:32:41 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

I'm wondering, can you apply this, and other voice auto-tuners, to

things like trombones, and violins, etc, where the intonation can often

be off?

I've used melodyne to fix egregious notes on upright and electric basses (in singer songwriter things and rock, never jazz I promise!) and recently I even changed a note I didn't like in an otherwise terrific accordion performance. If you're very sparing with it and the track is well isolated it can work just fine. But don't get carried away- if you fall into the "auto tune cave"- that is the slippery slope microscope world of tuning, you'll waste a lot of time and just ruin your tracks. Better to get them right on the way in.

Oh, it's got to be heavily abused, it's so powerful!

Yeah, changing the notes is incredible too.

I fixed one too-heavy-vibrato note in an otherwise good vocal
performance, and it's almost too perfect now! Better to keep some of
the human element in there....

It's really like Photoshop for audio, isn't it? HA!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:
On 6/5/2014 3:48 AM, Paul wrote:

http://www.musictech.net/2013/05/cub...vocal-editing/

Nothing new to all you full-time pros, but for me, this is an incredibly
powerful tool! Didn't know it was sitting right in front of me.

All the big-time singers get digital help, so why not the local
singers.

Just blows my mind. No wonder Neal Schon doesn't trust
Protools audition tapes anymore. He had one too many in-person
auditions that sucked compared to the demo CD!

At least auto-tune appears to be more limited in a live
vocal situation, but man, if it's in digital form, ANYONE can sound
good these days...

I'm wondering, can you apply this, and other voice auto-tuners, to
things like trombones, and violins, etc, where the intonation can often
be off?

This may be hard to believe, but intonation is information. It might be
worth keeping. Different instruments have different intonation regimes.
The human voice has a lot of them.

So there's this hobbyist singer I know who uses a "vocal processor".
I filled in on six string last weekend for him. The alleged "vocal
processor" was throwing enough "feedback" to shut down the mains
feed on the Presonus mixer in use. The effect is something like
ru(in)ning the vocals through a blender.

He wasn't listening about having it turned off. So he booked it, so...

--
Les Cargill