Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Default Stero Upgrades for 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara ??? / Follow Up Question..............

I posted the question below six days ago, and didn't receive any comments,
so I guess not many of you chaps have Jeep Wranglers. That's ok........

The very weakest link in getting even near-decent sound from this car is the
front speakers. Even if you buy the adapters and install 5 1/4 speakers
in the front grills, my experience from a prior Jeep was that I could not
get even reasonably good sound from the front. I guess the main problem is
that there is no "sound chamber" in the front, and the speakers just make
everything else rattle underneath the dash.

Possible Alternate?? I have found those "Pods" that you can buy, and put
them in the front floorboard area, left and right. I guess the benefit of
that is that you get some sort of baffle or sound chamber, and you can use a
5 1/4 inch speaker,and some pods even allow for 6 inch speakers.

So, I want to choose the very best 5 1/4 or 6 inch speakers, with
separate tweeters and crossover. I would install the drivers in the pods,
and the tweeters on my dash.

What brands of speakers would you guys recommend please ??

MB Quart ? Polk ? JL Audio ? Others ??

Please give me some input here, and please read my original post below !!

Thanks !!

James

--------------------------------

I just bought a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, MINT, and I have some
questions about upgrading the stereo system.

This Jeep Wrangler has front grill speakers, plus
rollbar speakers. I would like to start by upgrading the speakers, and
then later put in an aftermarket radio deck and external amp of perhaps
50-75 watts per channel.

I don't want a super-powered system, just something that sounds real
nice. I am over 60, so I listen to jazz, new age, some country, and
other types
of music , but not rap or hard rock. Once I get a very basic, decent
sounding system,
I plan to add a powered subwoofer, something like the Infinity Basslink or
perhaps
the Bazooka subwoofer, for some tighter, stronger bass.

The biggest limitation is that the front speakers are stock with 4 x 6
speakers, and
I can't use bigger speakers without mods, but I am willing to buy some
special brackets
that will allow me to use a 5 1/4 in the front as well. The rollbar
systems also uses
5 1/4 sizes. Yet, these are not large speakers, but I need the best
speaker I can buy
in this size.

Can I hear from some of you guys that have upgraded your Wrangler stereos,
and what you have and liked ??

Thanks !!!!!!!!

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Well, here's some general advice. First, I have used many different
seperate front speakers over the years (top of the line Boston Accoustics,
their Pro series, MB Quart, and JL). JL is very good but right now I use
Alpine's Type R series seperates and they sound better than anything else I
have ever used. I used to make fun of Japaneese speakers 10-20 years
ago.....boy, have things changed. These Alpine's produce more midbass than
any other speakers I have ever used (I used to think JL was the best). The
only drawback is that they want LOTS of power to perform their best. I use
a vintage Rockford 112.5 watts X 2 RMS .05% distortion to drive the 6.5"
midbass speakers and a Phoenix Gold 50 watts X 2 RMS .05% dist. to drive the
tweets (they are bi-amped obviously) yet I swear those midbass drivers could
take even more!!! These are the only midbass speakers I have ever owned
where I can turn my subs off and no one will notice, and I listen to rap and
techno. The tweets sound incredible, too. If I were you, always buy soft
dome tweets. Though metal dome (like titanium and aluminum) tweets might
sound impressive in a showroom (very bright and capable of very high
frequencies), I discovered with both my Boston Pro's and my MB Quart Q
series, metal dome tweets can grate on your ears. I found they sounded good
AT FIRST, yet 30 minutes later I found myself always turning the treble way
down or else I would get a headache. Soft dome tweets seem to have a more
realistic, laid back, and open sound, IMHO. I also use all soft dome tweets
in my home theater.

Now, with your situation, a little car audio 101- the main purpose of a
baffle or speaker box is to prevent the back waves (which are obviously 180
degrees out of phase) from interfering with the front waves and cancelling
out the sound. Manufacturers of front speakers don't know, of course, what
kind of car they will be put into so they are all designed to work in
"Infinite Baffle" enclosures. This simply means that no particular quatity
of air is required behind them to act as an accoustic spring. HOWEVER, you
must still isolate the front from the back, but no enclosure is necessary.
If a "pod" will isolate the front waves from the back waves and this is the
easist way to do it then I would recommend that. But, again, AN ENCLOSURE
is not technically needed as long as you can isolate the front waves from
the back. And, by all means, if you can get a 6.5" speaker up front as
opposed to a 5 1/4" then do it. Most good 6.5" can dip down into the 60-80
Hz range and below where the transfer function kicks in. At this frequency
and below you will suddenly notice much more bass and it makes for a
smoother transition to your subwoofer.

But, again, focus on isolating the back waves from the front. It does not
have to be air-tight or a particular volume of air (like a subwoofer
enclosure). Also, keep in mind bass is the trickiest to seperate. Bass
travels omni-directionaly unlike treble. Therefore it is relatively easy to
separate the front and back waves of treble as the front waves will travel
straight ahead and the back waves will travel straight back. With bass,
however, the front and back waves travel everywhere making cancelation much
more pronounced (if you have ever put a speaker cone into an enclosure while
it is playing, you will know what I'm talking about, the treble will change
very little but the bass will increase dramatically once seated in an
enclosure as the back waves suddenly can't cancel the front).

Anyway, don't know if any of this helps. Definately listen to Alpine's Type
R. I have been into this for a LONG time and I was truly blown away by the
Type R seperates.

MOSFET

"James" wrote in message
net...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

MOSFET, I was hoping that you would chime in here on my posted question
sometime, it just took you a while.......... hope you have been ok.

I am very interested in all your points, and I will definitely look into the
Alpine Type R component series. I also plan to make some measurements in
my dash this weekend, to see if I could "adapt an adaptor" to squeeze in
6.5 speakers. They make an adapter for the Jeep to go from stock 4 x 6
to 5.25, but maybe that adapter could be modified in some way. But,
there must be room behind the dash to begin with, and I can make a simple
template and see how it might work.

Thanks again for your very interesting input !!

I wonder if any other guys here have used the Alpine Type R series
component speakers ??

James