Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Now I wish I had a bunch more schoeps

Great record date today. We'll finish tracking tomorrow. It's a piano trio doing a modern jazz thing. Recording in their private studio and they wanted full isolation for a close and modern sound and the ability to fix things. The rooms are very good and the piano terrific. Their mics are not. But I planned that and brought my complement. I ended up using the dpa omni lavs inside the piano, the coles on the upright and the schoeps mk41's in xy on the drums (and some other drum spot mics of negligible consequence). Millennia pres. I managed to put the instruments and the mics in the right place, as these are easily some of the best tracks I've captured. This record will easily mix itself.

But I am so impressed with how good that piano sounds that I really wish I could hear the schoeps omnis in place of the dpa lavs! And I wouldn't mind some more schoeps for other duties too. 2 more pair and about 6 capsules of various patterns ought to suffice. I'll need a LOT more work to make that happen though!

And I got a great compliment from the drummer- "I love how you mike the drums. I don't feel like I'm surrounded by microphones in a studio. I just feel like I'm sitting down to play my drums..."
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:
[...]

Quite a bit different from your last date. Will you do any reverb in the
mix? Will this be released for sale?

Gary Eickmeier