Tim Padrick

Default $$ question for Bench Techs

An equipment rental firm is courting me to do bench work for them part time:
Tube and bias changes, simple component level repairs, fault confirmation on
DSP based gear, etc.. I've not done this in the "real world" on an hourly
basis for a very long time (I was a salaried employee at a warranty center
for many years, and wore other hats in addition to that of bench tech).
What would you suggest as a fair starting wage (no benefits)?

Blues_Jam

If this is the work you want to do and if you can be sustained by the wage,
whatever they are willing to offer you..... if not, then find something
else... how hard can this be?

(Just a gutt reaction from someone who has already lived most of his life)

Blues

"Tim Padrick" wrote in message
An equipment rental firm is courting me to do bench work for them part

time:
Tube and bias changes, simple component level repairs, fault confirmation

on
DSP based gear, etc.. I've not done this in the "real world" on an hourly
basis for a very long time (I was a salaried employee at a warranty center
for many years, and wore other hats in addition to that of bench tech).
What would you suggest as a fair starting wage (no benefits)?

jazzman

I run a fairly large warranty repair department. I typically pay a bench
rate of US $50/hr, nation wide to repair centers. I am aware, though, that
rationalities do come into play. Consider that $50/hour more of a retail
average figure for the US, and then look to adjust based on you state's cost
of living (e.g. NY is higher than South Dakota). That might help you work
your way back to a reasonable pricing model.

Regards,

Jim

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

An equipment rental firm is courting me to do bench work for them part

time:
Tube and bias changes, simple component level repairs, fault

confirmation on
DSP based gear, etc..

What would you suggest as a fair starting wage (no benefits)?

Assuming you have the work space, tools, and test equipment, I'd say
$35/hour with a $35 minimum. That will give the shop enough margin to
mark your work up to $45 or $50 per hour (which they'll probably do).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )