Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Output classes A and AB

On Oct 24, 10:48 am, John Byrns wrote:

Technically correct stuff snipped.

John:

I agree with what you say inasmuch as it is *absolutely* technically
correct. But the amplifier you posit is still a Class AB unit and/or a
unit that has been modified to make only Class A - and therefore NOT a
Class AB unit anymore - and as a 'modified' A not really all that hot-
sh*t an A either?

Point being that the GM V8 remains a V8 even though it is *capable* of
operating in 4 or 6 cylinder modes - albeit at much a much reduced PtW
ratio. And it could also be modified with a suitable network of
controls to remain in either 4 or 6 cylinder mode at all times - and
therefore *technically* be described as a 4 or a 6. It is certainly
not anyone's idea of a V8 anymore - nor what should be a good idea of
a 6 or 4.

Which, of course, would be a 100% marketing ploy, wouldn't it? To call
it a 4 or a 6 by virtue of the modifications?

As a purpose-built 4 or 6 would be a much better solution, wouldn't
it?

And that same purpose-built 4 or 6 could be made with the same
displacement, potential output HP and torque as a V8, couldn't it?

And that would, of course, cost a pretty penny - more than a similar
displacement & output V8? Large output Class A (tube) amps tend to be
costly, right?

So, an amplifier *may* operate in Class A mode for some range based on
its design. But it cannot, must not, nor should it be classified as a
Class A amp if it does not operate in Class A at all ranges.
Otherwise, what we have is a marketing ploy because as previously
stated: Class A = Good Class AB = Not So Good

All classes of amplifiers are equal, some are more equal than others.
Unless similar Orwellian terms apply, then the principle of the
excluded middle applies. Can't have it both ways.

I am not trying to be simplistic, just clear on what is meant and what
is implied. As things look from the discussion here, only Patrick is
discussing this with Douglas on equal terms. And I have a sense that
they agree more than they disagree. Andre has a bug up his butt - as
always - and therefore cannot discuss much of anything on any
reasonable terms. He really should step out of it and enjoy the
discussion as it is being pursued by his betters - I am certainly
watching it with interest. And the side issue of all this is that
between George, Bret and Andre, the atmosphere in this NG has been
pretty toxic of late. Maybe all three of them should take a rest and
let the air clear... although I do have my doubts as to George being a
discrete individual and not a sock-puppet.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA