Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ryan M Ryan M is offline

Default Experiences with TASCAM DA-98

Hi all

As a bottom feeder, I have the opportunity to buy a Tascam DA-98 at
quite a good price.

One question I could seem to answer from the web: Can I export tracks
using ADAT optical (I have a Layla 24 with ADAT optical in)? Any other
methods for getting data into a DAW?

Any other opinions or experiences?

Best regards

Ryan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ryan M Ryan M is offline

One question I could

= couldn't

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Ryan M wrote:

As a bottom feeder, I have the opportunity to buy a Tascam DA-98 at
quite a good price.

Tape based equipment is no longer, in my opinion, a sound business
concept unless you can make the point of how something tape based makes
you earn more money than something that is not. Not having media costs
as initial pr. recording cost matter more than you might think.

Any other opinions or experiences?

Fostex harddisk recorder, the smallest one has 4 simultanous tracks and
is 44-16 only, probably marginal for many uses, but it has much more
capable larger brethren, and it is a neat lil' mining pony for when a
large workhorse is not required. It has the strangeness of inverting
absolute polarity .... but that is easy to correct later.

Ryan

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Ryan M wrote:

One question I could seem to answer from the web: Can I export tracks
using ADAT optical (I have a Layla 24 with ADAT optical in)? Any other
methods for getting data into a DAW?

No. It doesn't work like "files" and it doesn't have ADAT optical I/O.
I would suggest making an analog transfer (in real time of course)
between the DA98 analog outputs and Layla analog inputs.

The only digital I/O on a DA98 is TASCAM's own TDIF. There are
ADAT-TDIF converters but it's doubtful that one would be worth the cost
to a confessed bottom feeder when you have everything you need (expect
perhaps cables) to make an analog transfer. It isn't the end of the
world to add nother D/A and A/D converstion into the chain.