Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike mike is offline

Default Tube amp kits

Hello all
I've been looking Hi and low for a few sites that sell amp kits other
than low powered SE. Any one have some leads to 50 plus watt amp kits.
Noth America would be nice, but I'm open to any good, well know suppliers.
Thank you
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
anumber1 anumber1 is offline

mike wrote:
Hello all
I've been looking Hi and low for a few sites that sell amp kits other
than low powered SE. Any one have some leads to 50 plus watt amp kits.
Noth America would be nice, but I'm open to any good, well know suppliers.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

This outfit looks intriguing to me.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=4

The Mk III kit may be worth waiting for...
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubegarden@aol.com is offline

mike wrote:
Hello all
I've been looking Hi and low for a few sites that sell amp kits other
than low powered SE. Any one have some leads to 50 plus watt amp kits.
Noth America would be nice, but I'm open to any good, well know suppliers.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Hi Mike,

You may be searching for voodoo killers ...

http://diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm

is my current glory.

This unit can do Music

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike mike is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:
wrote:

mike wrote:

Hello all
I've been looking Hi and low for a few sites that sell amp kits other
than low powered SE. Any one have some leads to 50 plus watt amp kits.
Noth America would be nice, but I'm open to any good, well know suppliers.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Hi Mike,

You may be searching for voodoo killers ...

http://diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm

is my current glory.

This unit can do Music

That's the musicians' job. You can build far better for less.

Hi Bret
So any suggestions on where I can find a kit?
Thanks
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

mike said:

Hi Bret
So any suggestions on where I can find a kit?
Thanks
Mike Mueller

There are no kits left, since Bret took 'em all to scrap out the
output transformers for his guitar amps. ;-)

Seriously: check this link;
http://www.worldtubeaudio.com/
The kits are he
http://www.worldtubeaudio.com/direct...ategorie_8.htm

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike mike is offline

Sander DeWaal wrote:
mike said:

Hi Bret
So any suggestions on where I can find a kit?
Thanks
Mike Mueller

There are no kits left, since Bret took 'em all to scrap out the
output transformers for his guitar amps. ;-)

Seriously: check this link;
http://www.worldtubeaudio.com/
The kits are he
http://www.worldtubeaudio.com/direct...ategorie_8.htm

Hi And Thank you Sander.
I went through the portal already. Many broken links. 95% of the kits
available are flea powered SE. Some one out there must be designing and
selling el34 or kt88 based amps that do not cost more than already made
amps.
I can buy PrimaLuna Prolouge six's or seven mono amps for less than most
kits I have seen.
I do not have the time to start from scratch.
Thank you again
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

mike said:

Hi And Thank you Sander.
I went through the portal already. Many broken links. 95% of the kits
available are flea powered SE. Some one out there must be designing and
selling el34 or kt88 based amps that do not cost more than already made
amps.
I can buy PrimaLuna Prolouge six's or seven mono amps for less than most
kits I have seen.
I do not have the time to start from scratch.
Thank you again
Mike Mueller

I'm sorry, I didn't check the links on the portal myself.
Apparently, many small companies didn't survive selling tube kits.

Here are some more Google hits, but the prices are not that much lower
than for ready made components.
You'll have to add shipping as well.

http://www.fsaudioweb.com/listen/stoetkit.html
http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/i...=8&category=33
http://www.triode-systems.com/module...index.php?id=2
http://www.escience.ca/hobby/RENDER/...036/11325.html

There's a guy here named Keith, who imported amplifiers from China
himself (or so it seemed to me), maybe he can help you out?

He posts from UKRA, so I took the liberty to cross-post this message
to that newsgroup as well.
Sorry guys, but this *is* audio-related...... :-)

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:52:02 +0200, Sander DeWaal
wrote:

"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

But is there any software yet that will wreck a nice beach? I'm bored
with typing.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

wrote:

"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

But is there any software yet that will wreck a nice beach? I'm bored
with typing.

Do what I suspect one or two do here - rant and shout at your computer
screen....

Maybe it'll hear you!

:-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

But is there any software yet that will wreck a nice beach? I'm bored
with typing.

Do what I suspect one or two do here - rant and shout at your computer
screen....

Maybe it'll hear you!

:-)

You have to point at it from a distance and snarl. That's the only way
I've found.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

mike said:

[...]

Sorry Keith, I'd better explain:

The OP is looking for a tube kit to build, but not a SET.

I seemed to recall that you ordered some kits directly from China, and
might be able to help him with it.

Sorry if I got things mixed up..................

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Nick Gorham Nick Gorham is offline

Sander DeWaal wrote:
??

Sorry Keith, I'd better explain:

The OP is looking for a tube kit to build, but not a SET.

I seemed to recall that you ordered some kits directly from China, and
might be able to help him with it.

Sorry if I got things mixed up..................

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/acatalog/AmpKits.html

They have a 88 in the wings as well as the 84 on the page. Not sure what
price is considered a lot for a kit though.

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

wrote:

"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

But is there any software yet that will wreck a nice beach? I'm bored
with typing.

Do what I suspect one or two do here - rant and shout at your computer
screen....

Maybe it'll hear you!

:-)

You have to point at it from a distance and snarl. That's the only way
I've found.

That sure would be some incredibly grey trek ignition software....!!!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Sander DeWaal" wrote

There's a guy here named Keith, who imported amplifiers from China
himself (or so it seemed to me), maybe he can help you out?

He posts from UKRA, so I took the liberty to cross-post this message
to that newsgroup as well.
Sorry guys, but this *is* audio-related...... :-)

???

Sorry Keith, I'd better explain:

The OP is looking for a tube kit to build, but not a SET.

OK.

I seemed to recall that you ordered some kits directly from China, and
might be able to help him with it.

Sorry if I got things mixed up..................

Right. You are a little offbeam here - I didn't buy *kits* from China, I
bought ready-made SET amps.

The price of these amps is way less than even the price of components to
build similar amps and a lot less than the price of a commercial 'amp kit'.
Of course, you only get what you pay for and there almost certainly will be
some liklihood of component failure at some stage, but there's no doubting
they are incredible value for money if you can keep 'em fettled.

Assuming you are Stateside, point the OP to Angela's:

http://www.angela.com/catalog.html

- I'm sure that they could steer him in the right direction. Personally I
like the look of the SE triode-strapped EL34 amp they feature, if he doesn't
want to go for a proper SET:

http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/SE.EL34.html

Or is he looking for more power....???

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike mike is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:
mike wrote:

Hi And Thank you Sander.
I went through the portal already. Many broken links. 95% of the kits
available are flea powered SE. Some one out there must be designing and
selling el34 or kt88 based amps that do not cost more than already made
amps.
I can buy PrimaLuna Prolouge six's or seven mono amps for less than most
kits I have seen.
I do not have the time to start from scratch.

You do not have anything else better to do. Seriously.

Scratchbuilding does not take huge amounts of time if you know what
you are doing. And if you don't you need to learn anyway. If you have
time for a hobby you have time to build.

Nice Bret
Going through previous posts on this same subject, the advice is the
same. Buy a kit that you can learn with. Than go for scratch building.
It takes twice as long to do scratch that kit building.
How I approach this hobby is my business. If I choose to enjoy it by
building kits, who cares. Why snap at someone who wants to do it
differently than you approve of.
Mine was an innocent posting asking for some simple help from a learned
group. I was not interested in a critique or scolding for wanting to go
a certain route.
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike mike is offline

mike wrote:

Hello all
I've been looking Hi and low for a few sites that sell amp kits other
than low powered SE. Any one have some leads to 50 plus watt amp kits.
Noth America would be nice, but I'm open to any good, well know suppliers.
Thank you
Mike Mueller

Thank you to all that helped. Some good links
Thank you
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

mike said:

Thank you to all that helped. Some good links
Thank you
Mike Mueller

I must say, after you reported those dead links on tubeworld, I
started searching for good quality PP kits with EL34s or KT88s or the
like.

It seems there are few, and they can be divided in cheap-ass Chinese
stuff of unknown quality, or super-duper boutique upper class stuff.

Nothing worth noting inbetween, or it should be the KT88 kit that Al
Marcy mentioned.

Strange.

I hope you succeed in your quest for a decent kit.

Another approach can be to buy the cheapest complete Chinese amp that
you like, and to upgrade it from there by replacing output
transformers, capacitors etc.
That way, you'd start out with a working "something", but still can
doa little yourself to improve it.
The good thing: you'll probabky buy a complete amp at the price of a
decent chassis and power transformer, the rest is optional and a
bonus.
The bad thing: in the end, it can still cost you a lot of money......

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Keith G wrote:
snip
Right. You are a little offbeam here - I didn't buy *kits* from China, I
bought ready-made SET amps.

The price of these amps is way less than even the price of components to
build similar amps and a lot less than the price of a commercial 'amp
kit'.
Of course, you only get what you pay for and there almost certainly will
be
some liklihood of component failure at some stage, but there's no
doubting
they are incredible value for money if you can keep 'em fettled.

Where can you buy Chinese tube amps for the cost of components if you
know how to shop? That would mean a couple hundred bucks, not the
$900-1200 suckers are paying.

OK, the Chinese SETs cost about 600 USD apiece - which is actually about the
same as the cost of a pile of components for a SET with 'cooking quality'
trannies in the UK, but it's a lot less than parts kit with 'audiophile'
components and bragworthy trannies.....

If you or your OP are interested, to give you an idea just how bad these
Chinese SETs are at that price - I had a new visitor (Quad II owner) here
today to hear the SETs and 'firewood horns'. He arrived at 11:30 am and
*finally* left at 9:30 pm after I shut the kit down....!!

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike mike is offline

Sander DeWaal wrote:
mike said:

[...]

Hi Sander
I know everyone bashes the chinise amps but ther are some really good
products out there. The PrimaLuna line is top build quality and finish
is excellent. Price from Upscale Audio is very resonable for this
quality of amp. 2 mono kt88's are only 2400.00 I was hopping to spend
50 to 75% of that to find a kit. I guess there is nor such thing out there
Thanks Again
Mike Mueller

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

You have to point at it from a distance and snarl. That's the only way
I've found.

Did you hear about the German computer programer who'd been working on
a project for weeks only to have the whole thing crash. He got in his
car, went home and got his shotgun, came back and shot the