Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

Default Is anyone still mixing to 1/4" analog tape

Saw a Revox B77 somebody is selling.

Looking to turn it around.

Is there still a market for these things, or is everyone now mixing to digital?

-A.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/23/2015 4:23 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
Saw a Revox B77 somebody is selling.
Is there still a market for these things, or is everyone now mixing to digital?

There are still people who will use something like that as a signal
processor, but I think that most of the shootouts mixing to tape and
through a digital chain have been fought and the conclusion now is that
you might as well use digital. There will always be a couple of
holdouts, but they'll be more likely to look for an Ampex ATR-102 with
1/2" stereo heads to mix to rather than a Revox B77.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Angus Kerr wrote:
Saw a Revox B77 somebody is selling.

Looking to turn it around.

Is there still a market for these things, or is everyone now mixing to digital?

There's still a market for higher grade recorders. I don't know if the
B77 exactly counts.

I would urge you to avoid the B77 because there are a number of common failure
parts that are no longer obtainable, like the switch assembly.

But I am seeing prices on Ampex machines rising up again.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 4:23:35 AM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
Saw a Revox B77 somebody is selling.

Looking to turn it around.

Is there still a market for these things, or is everyone now mixing to digital?

-A.

Some years ago, on TV, they conducted and experiment, maybe with (6) participants, to see if people could tell the difference between analog and digital recordings, same music/songs, just different recorded formats. Average, 50% of the time the participants were correct!!! In other words, no, human hearing isn't that accurate!

Jack