Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

Default O.T. - FedEx Sucks

As far as I'm concerned, FedEX service sucks.

A package of audio gear was slated to arrive at my door 2 days ago. I
was home all that day and when it hadn't arrived by 5:00PM, I checked
its status online to find that FedEX had it marked as "delivered" at
4:05PM. It obviously had been delivered somewhere but not to the
proper address.

6 calls to Customer Service later, they still did not know the
whereabouts of my stuff. In addition, I was given a different story
with each conversation as to how long a trace would take, when a claim
could be filed, or whether or not the driver responsible was even
aware of the problem. I was finally given the name of the trace
agent in charge of the situation who would contact me by the end of
the business day yesterday. That call never came.

In the meantime, a woman knocks on my door late yesterday afternoon,
hands me my package, and informs me that it went to her address by
mistake. She also states that she called FedEx immediately after
finding it on her doorstep and would redirect it herself the next day.
Whoever she spoke with never passed that info on to either me, the
shipper, or anyone inside of FedEx. (The tracking department knew
nothing of this until I called them this morning).

It's somewhat understandable that delivery mistakes can happen,
especially here in Seattle where the street system is pretty
eccentric. What's not understandable is how a company like FedEx can
drop the ball as many times/as badly as they did and the inconsistency
of their communication both within the company and to their customers.

As a shipper, I will never use them. As a purchaser, I will request
any other carrier.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 11/19/2010 1:41 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:
[...]

You're making the mistake of assuming that companies care about their customers.
Most of them do not. Customers are fungible commodities. Lose one, get another one.

Unfortunately they couldn't care less whether you ever use their service again.

Fortunately, not every company is that way, but most of them (TimeWarner Cable,
AT&T, Verizon) are.

The good news is that these companies are leaving themselves wide open for
competition. Maybe one day, they will have some.

The bad news is that UPS is much worse than FedEx. YMMV
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

It's somewhat understandable that delivery mistakes can happen,
especially here in Seattle where the street system is pretty
eccentric. What's not understandable is how a company like FedEx can
drop the ball as many times/as badly as they did and the inconsistency
of their communication both within the company and to their customers.

As a shipper, I will never use them. As a purchaser, I will request
any other carrier.

It's not /just/ a matter of helping a customer track down a package. It's
also a matter of whether a signature is required. If it wasn't, then the
driver had little motivation other than to dump the package.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On 11/19/2010 1:41 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:
It's somewhat understandable that delivery mistakes can happen,
especially here in Seattle where the street system is pretty
eccentric. What's not understandable is how a company like FedEx can
drop the ball as many times/as badly as they did and the inconsistency
of their communication both within the company and to their customers.

As a shipper, I will never use them. As a purchaser, I will request
any other carrier.

FedEx's customer service is basically oriented around their tracking system,
and when a package isn't in the tracking system, they get all confused and
don't know what to do.

If you think this is bad, though, UPS is even worse. FedEx loses things
and they break things, but they pay on the insurance when they do. UPS
has to be taken to court to get them to pay.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

On Nov 19, 12:00*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

The bad news is that UPS is much worse than FedEx. YMMV- Hide quoted text -

I hate ups mostly because they are a ripoff .
I'm saving about 40% on shipping since I ****canned them and started
using
usps priority flat rate shipping . I can crap up to 50 lbs of metal
parts into a $14 box,
2-3 days .

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

On Nov 19, 3:00*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

You're thinking that because one carrier is good, the others are bad. Scott
Dorsey hit the nail on the head. It's not about the customer anymore. We're
all fungible, which is the economic term for an interchangeable commodity,
like electricity, or soybeans.

Bob Morein

absolutely, individuals do not matter . I get things from
a large supplier that ships me overnight ups for no extra cost. I
imagine that
they are big enough to matter to ups , but they're also big enough not
to give a crap about me.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

Both UPS and Fedex have a sliding scale of deliberate obstinacy:
1. They pay off a $100 claim without difficulty.
2. As the insured value of the shipment goes up, they make
it increasingly difficult, by finding faults in the packaging.
3. For high value, nobody gets paid, except possibly if the
shipment is in an ATA case.

FedEx's policy on what "insurance" comprises verges on the incomprehensible.
I've never fully understood it.

You're thinking that because one carrier is good, the others are
bad. Scott Dorsey hit the nail on the head. It's not about the
customer anymore. We're all fungible, which is the economic
term for an interchangeable commodity, like electricity,
or soybeans.

Or pobble beads.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

I've since learned that the folks behind the wheel are
not FedEx employees. They are contractors [sic].

That's true for FedEx Ground. Is it true for all other FedEx services?

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline

In article , Rick Ruskin
wrote:

[...]

My sympathies, Rick.

I've had similar experiences with ALL the various carriers.

The chances of the same thing happening again for you with some other
carrier are likely equal to the chances of it happening again if you
continue to use FedEx.

IMO FedEx does have the best tracking system around, even if their own
personnel can't manage to help the customer in a situation such as
yours.

--
Larry Pattis
http://www.LarryPattis.com

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
| On 11/19/2010 1:41 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:
| As far as I'm concerned, FedEX service sucks.
|
| A package of audio gear was slated to arrive at my door 2 days ago. I
| was home all that day and when it hadn't arrived by 5:00PM, I checked
| its status online to find that FedEX had it marked as "delivered" at
| 4:05PM. It obviously had been delivered somewhere but not to the
| proper address.
|
| 6 calls to Customer Service later, they still did not know the
| whereabouts of my stuff. In addition, I was given a different story
| with each conversation as to how long a trace would take, when a claim
| could be filed, or whether or not the driver responsible was even
| aware of the problem. I was finally given the name of the trace
| agent in charge of the situation who would contact me by the end of
| the business day yesterday. That call never came.
|
| In the meantime, a woman knocks on my door late yesterday afternoon,
| hands me my package, and informs me that it went to her address by
| mistake. She also states that she called FedEx immediately after
| finding it on her doorstep and would redirect it herself the next day.
| Whoever she spoke with never passed that info on to either me, the
| shipper, or anyone inside of FedEx. (The tracking department knew
| nothing of this until I called them this morning).
|
| It's somewhat understandable that delivery mistakes can happen,
| especially here in Seattle where the street system is pretty
| eccentric. What's not understandable is how a company like FedEx can
| drop the ball as many times/as badly as they did and the inconsistency
| of their communication both within the company and to their customers.
|
| As a shipper, I will never use them. As a purchaser, I will request
| any other carrier.
|

| Rick Ruskin
| Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
| http://liondogmusic.com
| http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin
|

| You're making the mistake of assuming that companies care about their
customers.
| Most of them do not. Customers are fungible commodities. Lose one, get
another one.

| Unfortunately they couldn't care less whether you ever use their service
again.

| Fortunately, not every company is that way, but most of them (TimeWarner
Cable,
| AT&T, Verizon) are.
|
| The good news is that these companies are leaving themselves wide open for
| competition. Maybe one day, they will have some.
|
| The bad news is that UPS is much worse than FedEx. YMMV

I work with large companies frequently dealing with field sales people up to
CEOs. My work often requires that I participate in policy meetings at the
highest levels. I have never got the impression that these companies
"couldn't care less whether you ever use their service again." I do get the
impression from upper management that they care a great deal. I watched a
CEO in a meeting about customer service once invite a manager out of the
meeting for a private conversation, which resuilted in the dismissal of the
manager and an escort out of the building. What I also hear in meetings
over and over is that it is far more expensive to add new customers than it
is to retain current customers. I do hear about failures on the part of
employees "do the right thing", failures of systems and processes, and
failures of (mostly) lower level managers to effectively supervise and train
their employees. Believe what you want, but be careful of generalizing.
About FedEx... I have no direct knowlege of their policies. I use FedEx to
ship. I specify FedEx as a shipper of purchases, when I can. They've never
lost one of my packages. Luck, I guess.

Steve King

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Steve Daniels Steve Daniels is offline

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:03:38 -0800 (PST), against all advice,
something compelled Dar , to say:

I hate ups mostly because they are a ripoff .
I'm saving about 40% on shipping since I ****canned them and started
using
usps priority flat rate shipping . I can crap up to 50 lbs of metal
parts into a $14 box,
2-3 days .

Wow. I can't crap up to fifty pounds of anything in only two or
three days.

--

Howdya like that... we started playing guitar to impress the chicks and wind
up talkin' fingernails with old men.

Ray Boyce - 9.27.09
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Well, you know that FedEx was originally set up to serve
businesses. The delivery system was planned around there
being a real building with the company name on the outside,
where someone was expected to be there to receive the
package during normal business hours. That almost always
worked and FedEx built a solid reputation around their
reliability. It was rare that individuals used the service.

With the eBay explosion, and the rise of people doing
business in their homes and needing a service like FedEx,
they had to accommodate deliveries to residences which are
not so easily identified. The FedEx Home Delivery service
goes on the same airplanes, but the delivery fleet and
drivers are an entirely different outfit. They bought out
another delivery service and that's what they got. Since
there's only one customer service phone number, it takes a
while for the information to get to the Home Delivery
department (someone needs to update the IT there, I guess).

In Rick's case, the driver clearly screwed up. All he knew
was that he made a deliver that he thought was correct, so
that's what was reported. Sounds like things eventually got
straightened out, so that's good.
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

Not only all that is true, but it is also true that the average HS graduate
today (in many places) can't either read or write. So you are being killed
by the "dumbing down of America", even when they try to give you good
service.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Rick Ruskin" wrote in message
As far as I'm concerned, FedEX service sucks.

[snip]

It's somewhat understandable that delivery mistakes can happen,
especially here in Seattle where the street system is pretty
eccentric. What's not understandable is how a company like FedEx can
drop the ball as many times/as badly as they did and the inconsistency
of their communication both within the company and to their customers.

As a shipper, I will never use them. As a purchaser, I will request
any other carrier.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Rick, don't waste your anger on this. They're all equally bad. To wit, a
story. A major dealer of audio equipment of all kinds had a roomful of
packages ruined by UPS, by water. They felt like you do. They switched to
Fedex. Two years later, they switched back. Now they offer a choice: pick
your poison.

A manufacturing company of high repute related that they had never, ever,
succeeded in collecting damages from UPS.

Both UPS and Fedex have a sliding scale of deliberate obstinacy:
1. They pay off a $100 without difficulty.
2. As the insured value of the shipment goes up, they make it increasingly
difficult, by finding faults in the packaging.
3. For high value, nobody gets paid, except possibly if the shipment is in
an ATA case.

Personally, I had a Fedex driver come to my door and try to dump a package
on me. I explained this was not the address. He was going to take it to
the nextdoor wrong house, but I stopped him

4. And the good Ol USPS has a way of making packages vanish. Occasionally,
they do show up again.

You're thinking that because one carrier is good, the others are bad.
Scott Dorsey hit the nail on the head. It's not about the customer
anymore. We're all fungible, which is the economic term for an
interchangeable commodity, like electricity, or soybeans.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

About thirty years ago, I ordered two pair of down filled mittens with
leather palms through L.L. Bean (IIRC) They never came. So, I put a tracer
on them, and they were sent by UPS. About two weeks later, I got this letter
in the mail that had the shipping paperwork in it, and the driver had
scribbled on the slip, "Put in bricks on front porch". I ran out to my front
porch, and at the opposite end of the porch from the front door, there were
some concrete blocks, with two large holes in each one. Jammed inside one of
the blocks, was my package with the two pair of mittens in it! So, the
system sometimes works...:^)

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Inyo Inyo is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message

On 11/19/2010 1:41 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, FedEX service sucks.

You're making the mistake of assuming that companies care about their
customers.
Most of them do not. Customers are fungible commodities. Lose one, get
another one.

Oh, no...somebody actually went and used the word "fungible" in Usenet. And
here, all along, I figured that I was digging myself a dangerously deep
cyber-hole when I happened to use "deracinated" a time two or two while
utilizing Usenet...(big ol' grin).

http://inyo.110mb.com/music/rebelrouser.html
My solo, acoustic 6-string guitar version of "Rebel-Rouser." Originally
recorded by the king of "twang guitar," Duane Eddy, whose powerful,
reverb-laden electric guitar production--with energetic saxapone, as
well--soared to #6 in the US during the summer of 1958, eventually spending
12 weeks in the Top 40. One of the most famous instrumentals of the Pop-Rock
Era, composed by Duane Eddy and Lee Hazelwood.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
LA LA is offline

On Nov 19, 4:00*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

a sliding scale of deliberate obstinacy:

what does Fedex and the ancient Hebrews have in common?

Why deliberate obstinacy of course

He tastes the bitterness of the chalice (12:27). His last thought is
for His Blessed Mother (19:26-27). Christ, according to St. John, is
God, He is the Light of the World, enlightening all men that come into
this world, and - according to their dispositions - attracting them or
repelling them. This self-revelation of Christ, with the accompanying
acceptance or rejection of Him by men, is emphasized throughout the
fourth Gospel. The Gospel explains how it was that the Abrahamic
promises were not fulfilled in the Jews of Jerusalem. It shows that
Christ left nothing undone to convince the Jews of His Messianic and
Divine dignity. Their rejection of Him was due entirely to their own
***DELIBERATE OBSTINACY*****

I love google
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

On 11/19/2010 8:46 PM, Bill Graham wrote:

About thirty years ago, I ordered two pair of down filled
mittens with leather palms through L.L. Bean (IIRC) They
never came. So, I put a tracer on them, and they were sent
by UPS. About two weeks later, I got this letter in the mail
that had the shipping paperwork in it, and the driver had
scribbled on the slip, "Put in bricks on front porch".

I still get a newspaper delivered to my house and every now
and then I have to hunt for it. If I don't find it, I'll
call and get another one delivered, then I might find the
original one a couple of weeks later.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/19/2010 11:06 PM, Dar wrote:

I do
almost all my domestic shipping through their online service, and I
get documentation
when I print the labels and don't have to wait in line at the p.o.,
just drop them at the
counter. We save probably close to $2k a year over UPS .

Whenever I have something to ship that's heavier than a
letter, I always shop USPS, UPS, and FedEx on line and pick
the cheapest one. For small things (an IC, or a single CD,
for example) USPS First Class always used to be cheapest and
quickest but now that they charge extra for something that
isn't a plain letter, FedEx Ground is often cheaper. You
can't send a disk for half a buck any more.

When shipping something that's 10 pounds or more, something
that won't fit in a flat rate box, or something of
significant value like a microphone, I don't use USPS.
Partial Post is almost always dreadfully slow and the longer
the time between drop-off and receipt, the better the chance
that something will go astray.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

On Nov 20, 5:21*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

good plan. I almost always send small, heavy items (aforementioned
metal parts and/or tools) that fit into the flat rate boxes . One of
the
main reasons I used UPS for so long before we moved was accountability
and their insurance is cheaper than the p.o. . They are stubborn about
paying
claims but hardly ever lost anything . I do not miss getting the UPS
bill
every month, with fuel surcharges, resedential surcharges, out-of-our-
way
surcharges ; ******s charged me $8 apiece extra for plastic cat
litter tubs ('crapped' with
scrap copper, all taped up nicely) because they weren't "in a
cardboard container" , and I
thought "bite me; my driver liked the idea of leaving the handles on,
but some prick
in an office says that the book says '$8 extra' ". Oh well, they
are good for certain things ,
like the 30" cube box next week that's too big for the p.o. .

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Geezer51 Geezer51 is offline

FEDEX just delivered a VAOM-04 to my door about a half hour ago.
Not even a dent on the box!

I haven't used UPS for years because of what they did to a guitar that I'd
bought...
and refused to honor their responsibility for the broken neck.

The jury's still out on USPS. I shipped my son a package for his birthday
via Priority
Mail...shipped it two days before his birthday...took FIVE days to get to MO
from RI!

Geezer

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

*I watched a
CEO in a meeting about customer service once invite a manager out of the
meeting for a private conversation, which resuilted in the dismissal of the
manager and an escort out of the building. *What I also hear in meetings
over and over is that it is far more expensive to add new customers than it
is to retain current customers. *I do hear about failures on the part of
employees "do the right thing", failures of systems and processes, and
failures of (mostly) lower level managers to effectively supervise and train
their employees. *Believe what you want, but be careful of generalizing..
About FedEx... I have no direct knowlege of their policies. *I use FedEx to
ship. *I specify FedEx as a shipper of purchases, when I can. *They've never
lost one of my packages. *Luck, I guess.

Steve King

in more and more jobs the work flow is "designed" so that people don't
have to use their brain so that lower cost employees can be used to
boost profit.......but then they don't know how to handle the
exception cases...

it's actually pretty easy to pilot a jet plane, when all the equipment
is working right

Mark

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Mark wrote:
[...]

That's part of it, but not all. It's a rare business that has real
labor cost issues. Part of the story is that people simply *want*
consistent results. Designing that is difficult.

but then they don't know how to handle the
exception cases...

it's actually pretty easy to pilot a jet plane, when all the equipment
is working right

Mark

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

On Nov 20, 10:57*am, "Geezer51" wrote:
FEDEX just delivered a VAOM-04 to my door about a half hour ago.
Not even a dent on the box!

I haven't used UPS for years because of what they did to a guitar that I'd
bought...
and refused to honor their responsibility for the broken neck.

The jury's still out on USPS. I shipped my son a package for his birthday
via Priority
Mail...shipped it two days before his birthday...took FIVE days to get to MO
from RI!

Geezer

yeah I've lost things through them and we've all heard stories about
mailpersons being less than dutiful in their treatment of mail .
there are so many
of them, human error and negligence is bound to play a larger role
than with
UPS or FedEx . for me the savings over UPS is a good tradeoff , and I
insure the
expensive boxes, but haven't had to file a claim yet (probably lucky).
UPS did ruin an acrylic bird cage once ; even though there was a clear
boot
print on the side , they said my packaging was deficient . dicks. the
times I've
sent guitars UPS I 'crapped' the cases in layers of bubble wrap
inside the box.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

UPS did ruin an acrylic bird cage once. Even though there
was a clear boot print on the side, they said my packaging
was deficient.

According to a UPS guy I spoke with, to be "properly" packed, a package has
to be able to withstand being pushed off the conveyor belt and landing on
the floor, several times.

When I've had "critical" stuff to pack, I've paid UPS to do it for me
(which, a few years back, was not terribly expensive). I had no trouble with
those.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Tony Done Tony Done is offline

On Nov 20, 4:41*am, Rick Ruskin wrote:
[...]

I'm nervous about using parcel services, especially the way they leave
things on the doorstep, but I haven't had a problem so far. For
fragile stuff like guitars, I always get the driver to look over the
outside of the package with me before he leaves. I assume that if I
buy a guitar from somewhere like Elderly Instruments, they will
protect their reputation and/or use their muscle if there is any
damage or loss. The one occasion when I bought from a small dealer who
didn't have freight contract I used a freight forwarding service. It
was very expensive, but they have a good tracking system don't argue
over insurance issues. You can also insure for a higher value than the
customs declared amount - wink, wink, nod, nod.

Tony D
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

On Nov 20, 1:35*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
UPS did ruin an acrylic bird cage once. Even though there
was a clear boot print on the side, they said my packaging
was deficient.

According to a UPS guy I spoke with, to be "properly" packed, a package has
to be able to withstand being pushed off the conveyor belt and landing on
the floor, several times.

When I've had "critical" stuff to pack, I've paid UPS to do it for me
(which, a few years back, was not terribly expensive). I had no trouble with
those.

do you have to go to a real UPS depot or do
all the "UPS Stores" that do UPS shipping qualify?

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Mike Brown Mike Brown is offline

In article
,
Tony Done wrote:

[...]

I have a sign on my front door

"PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE PACKAGES ON THE DOORSTEP"

So far it has worked. Of course it does mean that you have to pick up
the goods from their depot.

MJRB
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 11/19/2010 8:46 PM, Bill Graham wrote:

About thirty years ago, I ordered two pair of down filled
mittens with leather palms through L.L. Bean (IIRC) They
never came. So, I put a tracer on them, and they were sent
by UPS. About two weeks later, I got this letter in the mail
that had the shipping paperwork in it, and the driver had
scribbled on the slip, "Put in bricks on front porch".

I still get a newspaper delivered to my house and every now and then I
have to hunt for it. If I don't find it, I'll call and get another one
delivered, then I might find the original one a couple of weeks later.

Yeah, its amazing how many places there are to hide a newspaper within 30
feet of your front door, isn't it? And newspaper delivery people seem to
know all of them, for every house on their route...:^)

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

It's amazing how many places there are to hide
a newspaper within 30 feet of your front door,
isn't it? And newspaper delivery people seem to
know all of them, for every house on their route..:^)

"It's hard to hit the porch from a horse..." -- Ben Franklin to Thomas
Jefferson

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

"Geezer51" wrote in message
FEDEX just delivered a VAOM-04 to my door about a half hour ago.
Not even a dent on the box!

I haven't used UPS for years because of what they did to a guitar that I'd
bought...
and refused to honor their responsibility for the broken neck.

The jury's still out on USPS. I shipped my son a package for his birthday
via Priority
Mail...shipped it two days before his birthday...took FIVE days to get to
MO from RI!

Geezer

Speaking of wrecked guitars, have you seen the, "United breaks guitars" clip
on utube? go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

wrote:

UPS did ruin an acrylic bird cage once. Even though there
was a clear boot print on the side, they said my packaging
was deficient.

According to a UPS guy I spoke with, to be "properly" packed, a package has
to be able to withstand being pushed off the conveyor belt and landing on
the floor, several times.

When I've had "critical" stuff to pack, I've paid UPS to do it for me
(which, a few years back, was not terribly expensive). I had no trouble with
those.

do you have to go to a real UPS *depot or *do
all the "UPS Stores" *that do UPS shipping qualify?

Moot point. I just spent an hour and a half packing up a delicate wire
sculpture
in the 30" cube. I made internal cross braces in 'all 3 directions
' (6, I guess, actually)
made from 1" pvc pipe , held in place by cardboard and styrofoam
receptacles glued to
the box sides, and 2" styrofoam corner braces .Nobody in the world at
any UPS joint
would do that extensive a job . I hope the people who get it have to
spend at least
an hour taking it out of the box (^8

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

On 11/20/2010 5:22 PM, Dar wrote:

do you have to go to a real UPS depot or do
all the "UPS Stores" that do UPS shipping qualify?

The UPS Store (tm) is owned by UPS. Whether or not they
guarantee safe arrival (or their packing makes it easier to
collect for damage) is doubtful.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

On 11/20/2010 5:16 PM, Tony Done wrote:

I'm nervous about using parcel services, especially the way they leave
things on the doorstep, but I haven't had a problem so far.For
fragile stuff like guitars, I always get the driver to look over the
outside of the package with me before he leaves.

The FedEx driver always rings the doorbell whether he needs
a signature or not. The UPS driver never rings the doorbell
unless he needs a signature. I've had both left on my porch
for upwards of a week when I've been out of town and they've
been safe, but I guess I live in a pretty safe neighborhood
and my porch isn't visible from the street. And they always
leave packages well under the overhang so they don't get
rained on.

Fortunately, everything I have shipped here (and there
really isn't all that much) is in nondescript cartons that
don't look like guitars. The only thing that I ever received
damaged was a consignment shipment of a 50 pound tape deck
that was packed and shipped by the seller, not the shop that
brokered the deal. It was incredibly poorly packed, circuit
boards inside were cracked, and motor mounts were broken.
When I contacted the broker about it and asked what to do,
he canceled the credit card charge, sent me a UPS call tag
and just told me to send it back to the sender.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
darrelld darrelld is offline

On Nov 19, 12:41*pm, Rick Ruskin wrote:
[...]

I think it might vary depending where you live. Talking only about my
experience *receiving* shipped items, here in Lincoln, NE, UPS breaks
a little more than half the things shipped here (and always blames the
shipper's packaging), Fed Ex breaks some things and the USPS packages
always fare the best. None of this is hyperbole. I will pay more when
receiving things for the shipper to avoid UPS and I never, ever use
them when I am sending things.

I guess our local delivery company for Fed Ex ground has some pride in
their work while the UPS guys have unresolved issues from childhood or
birth trauma.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

darrelld wrote:
[...]

Maybe their fathers liked to throw them in the air and catch them when they
were babies....:^)

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:06:03 -0800, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

darrelld wrote:
[...]

Or not catch them, perhaps?
Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Dar Dar is offline

wrote:

darrelld wrote:
[...]

Lion Dog Music - Seattle WAhttp://liondogmusic.comhttp://www.myspace.com/rickruskin- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I thought of that , but the fun is over with pretty quickly using
that method .
No, I never had kids , and they will thank me for it someday.

Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

FedEx's customer service is basically oriented around their tracking system,
and when a package isn't in the tracking system, they get all confused and
don't know what to do.

If you think this is bad, though, UPS is even worse. *FedEx loses things
and they break things, but they pay on the insurance when they do. *UPS
has to be taken to court to get them to pay.

I totally agree with Scott here. I used to use UPS until they
destroyed and lost a vintage amp that I was shipping. I started using
Fedex about 6 years and for the most part, I've been very happy with
them. They do pay on the insurance, whereas you have to fight with
UPS. Also, at the time I switched, Fedex ground was about 30% cheaper
to ship for the same package. The pricing schedule may have become
more competitive - I don't know because I haven't used UPS since then.

Fedex invested in their online system and it is very easy to use. I
can prepare a package and just drop it off at the Fedex place.

Every shipping company will break packages if you don't package them
correcly - it's the nature of the business. You've got to pad
everything and double-box it. If you don't do that, then fragile
contents will get broken.

Mike C.
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro

Every shipping company will break packages if you don't
package them correcly - it's the nature of the business.
You've got to pad everything and double-box it. If you don't
do that, then fragile contents will get broken.

Several years ago I sold my Nakamichi Dragon. It had been purchased in 1992,
and safely shipped via UPS in its sales carton -- nothing else. This time,
UPS absolutely, positively refused to accept it unless it was double-boxed.
I'd agreed to pick up the shipping charges, and this greatly increased them.