Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] matanyao@gmail.com is offline

Default Nagra 4.2

Allow me to introduce myself. I am the guy who wrote the Instruction Manual for the Nagra III, when I worked for Kudelski in Paudex, Switzerland in the early 1960s. But that was more that 50 years ago, during which I had nothing to do with audio or tape recorders. In other words, I forgot everything I ever knew about Nagra.

I recently acquired a used Nagra 4.2 that does not quite work. The take-up reel does not turn at all. I opened the machine and it looks like the belt for that reel is extremely loose. I would like to try and replace it myself..

My question is this: where can I buy the service manual and a new belt?

Thanks much in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

I recently acquired a used Nagra 4.2 that does not quite work. The take-up =
reel does not turn at all. I opened the machine and it looks like the belt =
for that reel is extremely loose. I would like to try and replace it myself=
.

My question is this: where can I buy the service manual and a new belt?

Where do you live? The service manual is probably available online, but you
can probably purchase a nice new copy from nagraaudio.com, or from Dan Dugan
Audio Design, http://www.dandugan.com. Dan is still the go-to guy for Nagra
repair in the US, even if his website doesn't mention Nagra stuff at all
any more.

PLEASE go through the full lube procedure in the manual before you run the
machine, especially putting a drop of light turbine oil on the lower bearing
of the motor. If the motor bearings fail, you are in a world of hurt.

Third party belts can be obtained from PRB Line, http://prbline.com and
they are fine too, but you may have to do some testing to find the exact
right sizes.

These are fine machines; I just used my IV-S this past weekend with a small
jazz combo.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matanya Ophee Matanya Ophee is offline

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:11:21 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for your advise.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 3:49:58 PM UTC-4, Matanya Ophee wrote:
Allow me to introduce myself. I am the guy who wrote the Instruction Manual for the Nagra III, when I worked for Kudelski in Paudex, Switzerland in the early 1960s. But that was more that 50 years ago, during which I had nothing to do with audio or tape recorders. In other words, I forgot everything I ever knew about Nagra.

I recently acquired a used Nagra 4.2 that does not quite work. The take-up reel does not turn at all. I opened the machine and it looks like the belt for that reel is extremely loose. I would like to try and replace it myself.

My question is this: where can I buy the service manual and a new belt?

Thanks much in advance.

Just do as I used to; cut the belt, cut/remove 1/2" of it and mend it back together with Krazy glue. Worked like a champ for me :-)

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matanya Ophee Matanya Ophee is offline

Good idea. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:40:24 AM UTC-4, Matanya Ophee wrote:
Good idea. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Yeah, because replacement "parts" become more difficult to find in the USA, since LOTS or most all electronics are manufactured abroad. Besides, you need a Part#, too, and many user manuals do not include a break-down of parts.

Good luck.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 30/09/2015 13:40, Matanya Ophee wrote:
Good idea. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

That may work in the short term, as a "Get the job done" fix, but as the
main cause of the problem will be that the rubber has lost its strength,
it will only fail again in fairly short order. Replacement belts are
available, although they might not be the same cross section, as long as
they are the right length, they should last longer than a Krazy glued
old one.

The main problem with old belts is that they go soggy and stick to the
pulleys.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Nagra IV-S vs Nagra 4.2 sound quality [email protected] Pro Audio 2 October 29th 10 08:42 AM
Nagra IV-S vs Nagra 4.2 sound quality [email protected] Pro Audio 2 January 15th 07 01:40 PM
FS - Nagra PLP, MPA, and PLL Dave Marketplace 0 September 27th 05 09:05 PM
FS.:NAGRA QGB Arzachel Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 09:19 AM
FS.:NAGRA QGB Arzachel Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 09:19 AM