Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

Default Hello after an absence of 17 (!) years

Hello Group

Nice to see all the regulars still contributing and helping others after all these years!

I was contributing and hanging out on rec.audio.pro in the late nineties, before I realised that in South Africa, a recording studio was not a viable way to make a living. That, and the home recording revolution where kids with some money and a laptop think that they can *produce*, or *engineer* a great sounding record because the marketing blurb says that they can. So nobody wanted to pay the rates required for engineers or producers..

Anyhow, marriage and kids came along and music performing and recording took a back seat. But luckily kids are now into music, and a family band is happening.

Unfortunately, I was never able to afford any decent gear, so all the stuff I do is via budget mics (like MC012, MK219, 58's, and Samson stuff, budget gear (Focusrite Octopre etc) and I try to keep the actual acoustic recordings down to a minimum because I have a terrible room! Close miking only with as tight a pattern as possible.

Also, the convenience of digital mixing and production via PC for small operators like myself trumps analog tape, so I run Ardour on Linux (since the mid 2000's I really got tired of ProTools upgrade hamster wheel (fine if you are running commercially, but not so if you're just hobbying or doing your own productions and there is no commercial income.

Although I am a classically trained violinist, I tend to compose rock and pop stuff, because I find classical stifles my creativity. I'm self taught on guitar and bass.

So if anybody still remembers me from the late nineties (even contributed a track to the second rec.audio.pro compilation), Hi.

I'm glad you're still going.

Angus Kerr
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/17/2015 5:16 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
So if anybody still remembers me from the late nineties (even
contributed a track to the second rec.audio.pro compilation), Hi.

Welcome back. You're a brave man to stick with Ardour for so many years.
You'll love Harrison MixBus.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

In the early days, Ardour was a trifle difficult, but now, I'm used to it. There are hundreds of plugins available (some good, some bad). I've just put a lot of tracks into Ardour, so if Mixbus can read them, that would be great.

Nice thing about Mixbus is it's cross platform, which means I can take my sessions to another studio to get better acoustics and front end chain for critical tracks like vocals and acoustic guitars. Even though I only close mic, the box room gets in there.

I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows. With a good Linux multimedia distro like Kxstudio, Dreamstudio, Ubuntu Studio, Avlinux etc, all the apps you need are preinstalled. So to get up and running, all you need to do is install the os, configure a couple of things, and you are up and running. You also find the tools ate pretty consistent, so once you know your way around one distro, it's not such a big thing to switch.

Anyhow, Linux it is. I am happy to assist people who want to experiment by sharing my limited experience, I'm certainly no expert, you need a lifetime of geekery for that, but I can get by.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 5:16:25 AM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
[...]

In the early days of stereo radio, I guess Classical Music is what dominated FM radio. And since I relate that style music to the more elite group, I guess Classical Music admirers had the first stereo phonographs.

The regulars here don't like me, because I challenge them, then they call me a "troll" in return!! :-)

Jack
p.s. Any relation to Angus Beef? :-) Neat name, Angus.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 9/18/2015 5:54 PM, JackA wrote:

...big snip... In the early days of stereo radio, I guess
Classical Music is what dominated FM radio. And since I relate that
style music to the more elite group, I guess Classical Music admirers
had the first stereo phonographs.

The regulars here don't like me, because I challenge them, then they
call me a "troll" in return!! :-)

Jack p.s. Any relation to Angus Beef? :-) Neat name, Angus.

Childish quip fitting of that trollish characterization.

Hmm, seem to recall you're a Jersey guy. Have
you never heard of Angus Gillespie?
==
L...
RC

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 7:55:03 PM UTC-4, Ron C wrote:
On 9/18/2015 5:54 PM, JackA wrote:

...big snip... In the early days of stereo radio, I guess
Classical Music is what dominated FM radio. And since I relate that
style music to the more elite group, I guess Classical Music admirers
had the first stereo phonographs.

The regulars here don't like me, because I challenge them, then they
call me a "troll" in return!! :-)

Jack p.s. Any relation to Angus Beef? :-) Neat name, Angus.

Childish quip fitting of that trollish characterization.

-- See, Angus, they lack a sense of humor!! I'm sure both Mike and Scott have told you to ignore me. Most here OBEY their orders, they are well behaved. Ron's just having one of his moments

Hmm, seem to recall you're a Jersey guy. Have
you never heard of Angus Gillespie?

-- No, but I went to see (Big Band) Dizzy Gillespie perform live at a Pennsauken, NJ high school. Great drummer (too!)!!

Jack
==
L...
RC

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/18/2015 7:54 PM, Ron C wrote:
Hmm, seem to recall you're a Jersey guy. Have
you never heard of Angus Gillespie?

I've heard of Angus Gillespie, probably the same one you've heard of.

My neighbor has a dog name Angus. He calls the dog "Gus."

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

To answer some questions....I'm from South Africa, which is kind of far from Jersey. Although I do enjoy the music acts that jersey has produced.

I'm honoured to have the same name as someone's dog. Or pet donkey. It's all good.

Most of my music training as a performer is classical. Most of my audio production and engineering experience is in the rock genre. I guess I like the freedom of rock to let your hair down and do your own thing. I'm comfortable as a player in either domain. I quit playing in an amateur orchestra (I was Concertmaster) because of how greedily it gobbles your time, and because the last concert I did with a rock band, I found myself just longing wanting to play bass guitar again, or play a Les Paul.

I do relate to the purist nature of classical recordings, where you have to make sure everything is really done right from mic selection, placement, room etc are all great to start with. That's assuming your players can play in key. Particularly if they're string players. If they're not excellent, it's not worth recording anything at all!

Angus
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Angus Kerr wrote:
Hello Group

Nice to see all the regulars still contributing and helping others after al=
l these years!

Welcome back! Usenet has expanded since then, and then it contracted pretty
dramatically with the explosion in web fora, but this is still a good place
to sit around and talk. We've acquired a couple of trolls recently but that
is nothing new either, really.

I was contributing and hanging out on rec.audio.pro in the late nineties, b=
efore I realised that in South Africa, a recording studio was not a viable =
way to make a living. That, and the home recording revolution where kids wi=
th some money and a laptop think that they can *produce*, or *engineer* a g=
reat sounding record because the marketing blurb says that they can. So nob=
ody wanted to pay the rates required for engineers or producers.. =20

This is the case everywhere in the world, and it's made worse by the
difficulty in actually making money from selling records today. But
in the end, there's still a market because there are still things that
need to sound good. And some folks are just too grouchy to stop.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr[_2_] Angus Kerr[_2_] is offline

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 2:06:39 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Angus Kerr wrote:
Hello Group

Nice to see all the regulars still contributing and helping others after al=
l these years!

Welcome back! Usenet has expanded since then, and then it contracted pretty
dramatically with the explosion in web fora, but this is still a good place
to sit around and talk. We've acquired a couple of trolls recently but that
is nothing new either, really.

I was kind of surprised. I haven't been on usenet for ages, pretty much since late '90's, and I was shocked to see that you have to pay a subscription to use a usenet server! wtf? Back then, you'd just find one and connect. No big deal. I guess it's good and bad that there has been a contraction, I remember some really horrendous flame wars back then. Really nasty. High noise-to-signal ratio. I guess lots have flocked to the web fora.

I was contributing and hanging out on rec.audio.pro in the late nineties, b=
efore I realised that in South Africa, a recording studio was not a viable =
way to make a living. That, and the home recording revolution where kids wi=
th some money and a laptop think that they can *produce*, or *engineer* a g=
reat sounding record because the marketing blurb says that they can. So nob=
ody wanted to pay the rates required for engineers or producers.. =20

This is the case everywhere in the world, and it's made worse by the
difficulty in actually making money from selling records today. But
in the end, there's still a market because there are still things that
need to sound good. And some folks are just too grouchy to stop.
--scott

Sound good or sound accurate? When I started recording, I thought the goal was to make an accurate sound reproduction - I was educated quickly and rudely by working with people, specially rock producers, who really weren't scared to use EQ, compressors, etc., and *really* use them in a way that I with my preconceived ideas would have thought reckless. But in the end, they made a good sounding record with really modest equipment. I'm talking Fostex D-80's, Behringer Composers, Alesis compressors, nothing great. But the U87 on vocals did add some class, even though it had the indignity of being sent down a Fostex pre-amp and into a Fostex D-80.

Is the group still releasing compilations? I remember Harvey did some back in the day..

Angus

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/20/2015 11:10 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
I was kind of surprised. I haven't been on usenet for ages, pretty
much since late '90's, and I was shocked to see that you have to pay
a subscription to use a usenet server! wtf? Back then, you'd just
find one and connect. No big deal.

It used to be that most Internet service providers had a Usenet news
server, but all the majors have dropped them. I use Eternal September
which is still free, but kind of spotty. rec.audio.pro is also carried
as a Google group, but all you need to do is say something slightly
stupid and if you've posted from the Google Groups, you'll start a
discussion about how anyone who uses Google is lame.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/20/2015 11:10 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
Is the group still releasing compilations? I remember Harvey did some back in the day..

There hasn't been a rec.audio.pro compilation in years. In fact I
haven't heard anything from or about Harvey in a couple of years. I
e-mailed him a few months ago and it bounced back with a "mailbox full"
message. I hope he's still alive and OK.

What got me thinking about Harvey was that I saw an article in Pro Sound
News about a new studio with an MCI console that they bought from him. I
helped Harvey install that console a good many years back.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 6:21:39 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/20/2015 11:10 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
Is the group still releasing compilations? I remember Harvey did some back in the day..

There hasn't been a rec.audio.pro compilation in years. In fact I
haven't heard anything from or about Harvey in a couple of years. I
e-mailed him a few months ago and it bounced back with a "mailbox full"
message. I hope he's still alive and OK.

What got me thinking about Harvey was that I saw an article in Pro Sound
News about a new studio with an MCI console that they bought from him. I
helped Harvey install that console a good many years back.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Looking at his website (if current) he still seems to be around.

I'll email him and see if he still remembers me...

- Angus
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17-09-2015 10:16, Angus Kerr wrote:

Hello Group

Welcome back!

Angus Kerr

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On 9/20/2015 11:10 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
Is the group still releasing compilations? I remember Harvey did some back in the day..

There hasn't been a rec.audio.pro compilation in years. In fact I
haven't heard anything from or about Harvey in a couple of years. I
e-mailed him a few months ago and it bounced back with a "mailbox full"
message. I hope he's still alive and OK.

However, I do still have a crate of LPs somewhere in the warehouse if
anybody wants one! I forget what they cost... it wasn't much...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Dobson Richard Dobson is offline

On 20/09/2015 17:13, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/20/2015 11:10 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
I was kind of surprised. I haven't been on usenet for ages, pretty
much since late '90's, and I was shocked to see that you have to pay
a subscription to use a usenet server! wtf? Back then, you'd just
find one and connect. No big deal.

It used to be that most Internet service providers had a Usenet news
server, but all the majors have dropped them.

Virgin Media are still carrying all (AFAICT) newsgroups, so I just pick
it all up using Thunderbird.

Richard Dobson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 7:20:40 AM UTC-4, Richard Dobson wrote:
On 20/09/2015 17:13, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/20/2015 11:10 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
I was kind of surprised. I haven't been on usenet for ages, pretty
much since late '90's, and I was shocked to see that you have to pay
a subscription to use a usenet server! wtf? Back then, you'd just
find one and connect. No big deal.

It used to be that most Internet service providers had a Usenet news
server, but all the majors have dropped them.

Virgin Media are still carrying all (AFAICT) newsgroups, so I just pick
it all up using Thunderbird.

I used to pick chicks up with a Thunderbird!! :-)

Jack

Richard Dobson

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 9/20/2015 12:21 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:

There hasn't been a rec.audio.pro compilation in years.

Ah, my one claim to fame. The compilations were my idea.

In fact I haven't heard anything from or about Harvey in a
couple of years. I e-mailed him a few months ago and it bounced back with a "mailbox full" message. I hope he's still
alive and OK.

I tried to call him last year and had no luck. If anyone connects with him, please post. I sold him a 77DX a long time ago.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
On 9/20/2015 12:21 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:

In fact I haven't heard anything from or about Harvey in a
couple of years. I e-mailed him a few months ago and it bounced back with a "mailbox full" message. I hope he's still
alive and OK.

I tried to call him last year and had no luck. If anyone connects with him, please post. I sold him a 77DX a long time ago.

Send his son Alex an e-mail, I know he is active online.