Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Windows 10 and Legacy Help Files

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 6:01:08 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 17/09/2015 8:44 a.m., JackA wrote:
Remember, Huggybear, I used to PROGRAM computers while you peeps only used them. And I'm not talking Frank's days of horse and buggy ForTran!!!

Stifle.

Jack

How about a character generator programed in 6800 machine code to
display on a CRO ?

You must share Mike Rivers' temperament, he punched cards!!!

Poor cards never hurt no one!!

Move along my little one.

Jack :-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:03:40 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/16/2015 4:31 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
That too, but some before my time. My Fortran class at DeVry/Atlanta
(circa 1977) was the last one to use punch cards and IBM timesharing.

My Fortran 2 class was in 1966. Punch cards. I don't know how many bits
the IBM was. I think it was a 1620 if that's a number. The engineering
school's computer was the FLAC II (Florida Automatic Computer) that was
replaced at Cape Canaveral when they started doing space shots. The IBM
was in the registrar's office and they let us use that in the evenings.

1620 was about that era, but it didn't have any bits. It was a BCD
machine

Before Christ Digital???

Jack :-)

, five decimal digits per word. IBM was very big on BCD hardware,
coming from the accounting world where money is kept in exact dollars and
cents, and of course it makes the numerical analysis of error bounds and
the like much easier for people who think in decimal.

My first machine was in-between yours, it was OS/360 without the timesharing
option. It had both BCD and binary arithmetic instructions, as well as
the kitchen sink and anything else the engineers at IBM could think of to
throw into the instruction set.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/16/2015 6:03 PM, wrote:

A bit off topic but I just saw this the other day:
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-sysreq.html

A commercial company offering a DAW for Windows,
Mac and Linux! I hope more do the same, but I won't
hold my breath.

Harrison has been involved with Linux for a long time, and they were a
contributor to the Ardour project for several years. They have some
large format consoles that use pieces of the Ardour code. MixBus
software is based on Ardour with Harrison's GUI and equalizer designs. I
have MixBus loaded on one of my computers and play around with it every
now and then. It's a good program for dinosaurs like me who want a
recorder and a console and don't bother me with those waveforms until I
have to edit something.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/16/2015 4:31 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
That too, but some before my time. My Fortran class at DeVry/Atlanta
(circa 1977) was the last one to use punch cards and IBM timesharing.

My Fortran 2 class was in 1966. Punch cards. I don't know how many bits
the IBM was. I think it was a 1620 if that's a number. The engineering
school's computer was the FLAC II (Florida Automatic Computer) that was
replaced at Cape Canaveral when they started doing space shots. The IBM
was in the registrar's office and they let us use that in the evenings.

1620 was about that era, but it didn't have any bits. It was a BCD
machine, five decimal digits per word. IBM was very big on BCD hardware,
coming from the accounting world where money is kept in exact dollars and
cents, and of course it makes the numerical analysis of error bounds and
the like much easier for people who think in decimal.

My first machine was in-between yours, it was OS/360 without the timesharing
option. It had both BCD and binary arithmetic instructions, as well as
the kitchen sink and anything else the engineers at IBM could think of to
throw into the instruction set.

The 8085 had BCD instructions, e.g., "DAA - Decimal Accumulator Adjust".
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

Harrison has been involved with Linux for a long time, and they were a
contributor to the Ardour project for several years. They have some
large format consoles that use pieces of the Ardour code. MixBus
software is based on Ardour with Harrison's GUI and equalizer designs. I
have MixBus loaded on one of my computers and play around with it every
now and then. It's a good program for dinosaurs like me who want a
recorder and a console and don't bother me with those waveforms until I
have to edit something.

I've been running (and supporting) Ardour since the early days. Initially it was a bit klunky, but now it is an eminently serviceable product. All my stuff is there and I am totally Linux, I have not run a Windows workstation since 2006.

But there was a steep learning curve, and a lot of time spent sorting out things that could have been spent composing / recording music. Like trouble shooting why some distributions don't include the firmware for my EMU-1212 sound card that always catches me out when I change / upgrade distros.

I see that they (Harrison) have just released an update to V3. I'm going to purchase it. Hopefully, it'll read Ardour sessions, since the old V2 wasn't able to read Ardour 3 sesssions, and Ardour 3 wasn't interested in MixBus 2 sessions.

I really like the flow of the mixbus, which I suppose is like an old analog console that you would find in a studio where you just turn on a compressor / limiter that's already in the signal path. I'm not a fan of plugins, which seem to be a necessary evil of running a DAW.

I would however, caution that any proposed move to Linux for audio work, make sure that there is a driver for the soundcard you want to use. For example, my digi002 rack is a nice paperweight since Digidesign will not release a Linux driver. So if I want to use it, I'd have to roll my own driver, something a little beyond my skillset.

Angus

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/17/2015 5:37 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:

I've been running (and supporting) Ardour since the early days.
Initially it was a bit klunky, but now it is an eminently serviceable
product.

Ardour made a big leap from its original concept. The original Ardour
was a functional copy of the Mackie HDR24/96 recorder without a mixer. I
looked at the first version (I had a Mackie HDR) and thought it was
interesting, but there wasn't much available to get audio in and out of
it. I looked at it again maybe 5 years later and it had changed gears
and was becoming a DAW program. I've loaded it up a couple of times but
just couldn't get interested in it.

I would however, caution that any proposed move to Linux for audio
work, make sure that there is a driver for the soundcard you want to
use.

And there's the rub. When I was playing with Ardour, the only supported
I/O device I had was the computer's built-in audio. What's made MixBus
useful to the real world was to provide what amounts to an ASIO driver.
MixBus recognized my Mackie 1640i mixer and I had 16 channels of input
and output. The FADO project has support for the now discontinued Mackie
Firewire option card now (they didn't when I was playing with Ardour)
but the pickings for multi-channel interfaces are still pretty slim.
Audio I/O hardware manufacturers, with only a couple of exceptions,
aren't bothering with Linux support, not even offering documentation and
loaner equipment for volunteer developers to work with.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Randy Yates wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:
My first machine was in-between yours, it was OS/360 without the timesharing
option. It had both BCD and binary arithmetic instructions, as well as
the kitchen sink and anything else the engineers at IBM could think of to
throw into the instruction set.

The 8085 had BCD instructions, e.g., "DAA - Decimal Accumulator Adjust".

Right. The DAA allows you to use ordinary add and subtract instructions
to do BCD arithmetic, at the expense of twice as many CPU cycles being used.

It gets more complicated if you want to do multiplication and division in
BCD, though... not that the 8085 had any multiply or divide at all...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] garyv52@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 5:26:25 PM UTC-7, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/16/2015 6:03 PM, wrote:

A bit off topic but I just saw this the other day:
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-sysreq.html

A commercial company offering a DAW for Windows,
Mac and Linux! I hope more do the same, but I won't
hold my breath.

Harrison has been involved with Linux for a long time, and they were a
contributor to the Ardour project for several years. They have some
large format consoles that use pieces of the Ardour code. MixBus
software is based on Ardour with Harrison's GUI and equalizer designs. I
have MixBus loaded on one of my computers and play around with it every
now and then. It's a good program for dinosaurs like me who want a
recorder and a console and don't bother me with those waveforms until I
have to edit something.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

That's good to hear. I wish more companies would contribute in this way.
I would bet their digital consoles are running Linux and I wouldn't be a
bit surprised that they developed MixBus in the Linux domain.

And as you mentioned below, lack of audio drivers for Linux is a
problem. Companies like RME seem like they provide some support
via ALSA or OpenSound. I've often wondered if a company such as
Lynx Studio would provide a Linux driver for their AES 16 PCI cards
whether it might encourage more Linux usage. I think they may have
actively supported their legacy LynxOne card with Linux drivers, if
only technical support.

I'm using a Mac/Cubase setup right now, but if there was a Linux
driver available for an AES audio card I would definitely check out
MixBus on Linux. I noticed on their website they are promoting
open standards which appeals to me a lot.

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , John Williamson
writes
On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

This may help:-

http://download.cnet.com/Help-Explor...4-10666661.htm

There have been a few discussions on the W10 Insider's forum, including
this

http://tinyurl.com/q2e6wdc

I haven't tried the answer contained within.

The main thing that shines out of the Insider forums is how MS appears
not to be interested in acting on feedback.

On other topics raised here, I remember saying that I would report back
about Harrison Mixbus when I had tried it. I am still at the stage of
finding the driver problems and the difficult routing too much for the
time available.
Added to which, I'm getting too old to do much/any mixing any more.
And I was always more into the home computer side of things - more
hacking calculator chips and 8086's than Vax.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/09/2015 20:06, Bill wrote:
In message , John Williamson
writes
On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

This may help:-

http://download.cnet.com/Help-Explor...4-10666661.htm

There have been a few discussions on the W10 Insider's forum, including
this

http://tinyurl.com/q2e6wdc

I haven't tried the answer contained within.

The main thing that shines out of the Insider forums is how MS appears
not to be interested in acting on feedback.

The probability is that Micro$oft want us all to buy new programs to doe
the work of the older ones, and making it hard to use .hlp files is part
of that,

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 3:09:04 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
In message , John Williamson
writes
On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

This may help:-

http://download.cnet.com/Help-Explor...4-10666661.htm

There have been a few discussions on the W10 Insider's forum, including
this

http://tinyurl.com/q2e6wdc

I haven't tried the answer contained within.

The main thing that shines out of the Insider forums is how MS appears
not to be interested in acting on feedback.

Thanks!! Yes, they dream-up all the items I complain about, because THEY feel it's best for ME! But, to M$, they want toddlers to be able to use their OS's, as well as adults.

Jack

On other topics raised here, I remember saying that I would report back
about Harrison Mixbus when I had tried it. I am still at the stage of
finding the driver problems and the difficult routing too much for the
time available.
Added to which, I'm getting too old to do much/any mixing any more.
And I was always more into the home computer side of things - more
hacking calculator chips and 8086's than Vax.
--
Bill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 3:26:36 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 17/09/2015 20:06, Bill wrote:
[...]

Amen!!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 2:58:45 AM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music
files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who
the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need
to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they
allow you to!

Total untrue hor**** lies and nonsense.

OH!! I see, you're a Beatles fan!! I knew there had to be a story behind your disliking me!!!

Jack