Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

Default Do you think this mic capsule is fixable?

I've always wanted to get this capsule, the AKG CK92. It's listed as
"not working" properly, i.e., "Output is down 20dB from a normal CK92,
but it sounds exactly like a normal capsule other that that."

Do the described symptoms signal that it's probably easily fixable? What
are the chances this could be fixed, and what might it cost to fix it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-CK-92-Om...item419c4715ff
--
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/09/2015 9:19 a.m., Matt Faunce wrote:
I've always wanted to get this capsule, the AKG CK92. It's listed as
"not working" properly, i.e., "Output is down 20dB from a normal CK92,
but it sounds exactly like a normal capsule other that that."

Do the described symptoms signal that it's probably easily fixable?
What are the chances this could be fixed, and what might it cost to
fix it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-CK-92-Om...item419c4715ff

The problem may be a depleted electret charge.Capsule element is
available, part number 2493M09010 .

Cost probably around US$50. Care needs to be taken if fitting new capsule.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/10/15 6:53 PM, geoff wrote:
On 11/09/2015 9:19 a.m., Matt Faunce wrote:
I've always wanted to get this capsule, the AKG CK92. It's listed
as "not working" properly, i.e., "Output is down 20dB from a normal
CK92, but it sounds exactly like a normal capsule other that
that."

Do the described symptoms signal that it's probably easily fixable?
What are the chances this could be fixed, and what might it cost
to fix it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-CK-92-Om...item419c4715ff

The problem may be a depleted electret charge.Capsule element is
available, part number 2493M09010 .

Cost probably around US$50. Care needs to be taken if fitting new
capsule.

geoff

Thanks Geoff.

I wouldn't do the work myself. A working "like new" capsule is going for
$175. So the nearer the cost of having someone else fix it gets to $100
the less it's worth fixing it, especially given that I'm guessing about
the element being the problem.

--
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/09/2015 11:17 a.m., Matt Faunce wrote:

Thanks Geoff.

I wouldn't do the work myself. A working "like new" capsule is going
for $175. So the nearer the cost of having someone else fix it gets to
$100 the less it's worth fixing it, especially given that I'm guessing
about the element being the problem.

Not much expertise as such required to do the element replacement - just
care.

Of course it is vaguely possible it's not the capsule, but a mechanical
contact faulty. There is a PCB part 2439M11010, but I think this is
just electrical contacts.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On 11/09/2015 9:19 a.m., Matt Faunce wrote:
I've always wanted to get this capsule, the AKG CK92. It's listed as
"not working" properly, i.e., "Output is down 20dB from a normal CK92,
but it sounds exactly like a normal capsule other that that."

Do the described symptoms signal that it's probably easily fixable?
What are the chances this could be fixed, and what might it cost to
fix it?

I agree that it could be a bad electret, in which case replacing the
internal capsule assembly would be the fix.

However, the Blue Line capsules have integral FETs built into the
removable capsule assembly, so it could also be a fet that has gone
leaky. That's also fixable although I have no idea what AKG would
charge for either repair.

Either of these problems would translate to less signal but little
frequency response alteration.

I don't think it would be unrepairable. That said, I never really liked
the Blue Line mikes... I thought they were awfully expensive for what they
were and the top end was never really all that clean. So I would not spend
the money myself.

Like everything else in life, it's a gamble. You pays your money and you
takes your chance.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/11/15 9:16 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
[...]

--scott

I decided not to buy it, but thank you very much for the information.

--
Matt

LDC Capsule Connection [email protected] Pro Audio 2 July 29th 08 05:19 AM
Do you feel these recordings are fixable? Doc Pro Audio 12 March 24th 08 05:57 PM
nt2-a capsule Max Pro Audio 5 February 6th 07 09:35 PM
Denon CD player tracking error - fixable ? [email protected] Tech 7 January 13th 06 02:06 PM
B.L.U.E. B-7 capsule? rickymix Pro Audio 3 March 4th 04 08:34 PM