Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default another bizarre audio circuit

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:45:48 -0600, John - KD5YI
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 10:24 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:06:41 -0600, John -
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 8:52 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 20:40:27 -0600, John -
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 8:32 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

On Mar 3, 2:11 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:36:25 -0600, John Fields

wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 08:40:42 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

---
Even though you scorn and ridicule audio, there's nothing wrong with
anyone seeking perfection there, just as there's nothing wrong with
your search for perfection in the genre which pleases _you_ to pursue.
So, speaking of fun, why don't you do a complete design and assign
values to the circuit components and identify the semiconductors?

You're not playing the game. You are sitting in the henhouse, clucking
about the people who do.

He's not playing your game, which involves telling John Larkin how
cute his circuits are.

He's not designing circuits, which is what this newsgroup is about.

You aren't either. Both of you start to cluck and peck when people do
design circuits. No surprise.

Or is that legwork _we're_ supposed to do in order to flesh out your
divine revelation?

Chickenleg work!

It's half the story - a few component values make it a lot easier to
work out what a circuit is doing.

You can't look at a circuit this simple and see what it's doing? OK,
no surprise.

John

Well, I thought designing a circuit included supplying component values.
No?

I posted topologies. Values can be scaled to the application, but you
need a topology first. If I were actually going to build this, for
money, of course I'd have to define specs and then compute values.
That's just grunt work.

John

Not really. I have a few circuits I could throw out and claim that they
are topologies and you would not be able to use them without values.
Granted, mine are more complex than the one being discussed, but I'm
hoping to make a point.

John (not Larkin)

I think circuit topologies are fun to play with. Lots of textbooks
show, and discuss, circuits without explicit values. Once you have a
topology, then you can proceed to specs and component values.

If you think all circuits should be posted with values, post some.

John

You are correct, John. Now you have a topology. Please post the
component values.

Thanks,
John

Given i/o specs, the DC analysis is simple. But there are two AC
aspects that are sort of interesting: the lf response, and loop
stability. I'm sort of disappointed that nobody has commented on
either.

As I'm disappointed in how many people want to whine and cluck about
personalities, and avoid actually discussing electronics.

John

Separate circuit for audio equipment [email protected] High End Audio 14 January 6th 09 04:05 PM
bizarre audio problem Dan Car Audio 10 March 15th 08 01:24 PM
Hybrid telephone audio circuit 2 Audiomix Pro Audio 9 June 17th 04 02:51 PM
Bizarre Duet...your thoughts please SDOLMER Pro Audio 11 March 23rd 04 04:18 PM
OP-AMP like circuit in old audio amp (P-P) in old radio Robert Casey Vacuum Tubes 75 October 1st 03 11:58 PM