Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Bulk Audio Cable

Since I need to make some audio cables, I need to buy some bulk audio cable. For
starters, I need single conductor shielded cable for mono patch cables. The
smaller the OD the better.

Back in the broadcast days, I used to wire studios with 8450, 8451, and 8442.
The 8442 was great, but it's bulky. What's a good, flexible, two-wire shielded
cable?

Not interested in the quad stuff. I buy those cables pre-made.

Who has good pricing on bulk cable?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Since I need to make some audio cables, I need to buy some bulk audio cable. For
starters, I need single conductor shielded cable for mono patch cables. The
smaller the OD the better.

There's always RG-174 for that. I do think there is a sonic effect from that
stuff because of the steelclad center conductor, but it's rugged as hell as
a result and it is very thin.

Back in the broadcast days, I used to wire studios with 8450, 8451, and 8442.
The 8442 was great, but it's bulky. What's a good, flexible, two-wire shielded
cable?

For installed work with shield or for microphone cables?

Not interested in the quad stuff. I buy those cables pre-made.

Who has good pricing on bulk cable?

Gepco will sell direct.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Erik Korte[_2_] Erik Korte[_2_] is offline

On Nov 29, 7:05*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Since I need to make some audio cables, I need to buy some bulk audio cable. For
starters, I need single conductor shielded cable for mono patch cables. The
smaller the OD the better.

Back in the broadcast days, I used to wire studios with 8450, 8451, and 8442.
The 8442 was great, but it's bulky. What's a good, flexible, two-wire shielded
cable?

Not interested in the quad stuff. I buy those cables pre-made.

Who has good pricing on bulk cable?

Redco has great prices on Mogami.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/30/2010 9:44 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Since I need to make some audio cables, I need to buy some bulk audio cable. For
starters, I need single conductor shielded cable for mono patch cables. The
smaller the OD the better.

There's always RG-174 for that. I do think there is a sonic effect from that
stuff because of the steelclad center conductor, but it's rugged as hell as
a result and it is very thin.

Back in the broadcast days, I used to wire studios with 8450, 8451, and 8442.
The 8442 was great, but it's bulky. What's a good, flexible, two-wire shielded
cable?

For installed work with shield or for microphone cables?

Not interested in the quad stuff. I buy those cables pre-made.

Who has good pricing on bulk cable?

Gepco will sell direct.
--scott

What cable model for installed work and for microphone cables? It is very
daunting to read cable catalogs and to know that I'm picking the right one. I'm
mainly interested in single conductor shielded of the same style (but not the
same crappy quality) as a Hosa 1/4" TR to 1/4" TR patch cable. Something with a
stranded center conductor seems to make sense.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Seriously, Just call Redco.
Great folks.

800-572-7280

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:

What cable model for installed work and for microphone cables? It is very
daunting to read cable catalogs and to know that I'm picking the right one. I'm
mainly interested in single conductor shielded of the same style (but not the
same crappy quality) as a Hosa 1/4" TR to 1/4" TR patch cable. Something with a
stranded center conductor seems to make sense.

For installed stuff, try the Gepco 72401EZ. It's foil shielded, and the shield
will fail if you move it around a whole lot, but it's easy to work with and
fairly cheap. The Belden equivalent is fine too.

For mike cables I pretty much always use star-quad stuff, but if you don't use
star quad, consider the Gepco M1042. It's heavy-gauge stuff with a braided
shield that doesn't fail when you run a piano over it. Belden and Mogami both
make equivalents. It's relatively heavy, though, if that is an issue.

For unbalanced lines, I don't know... I tend to use whatever is around...
the Gepco instrument cable is fine.... I tend to use some kind of Amphenol
low-triboelectric-noise cable since I have a big roll left over from a
project decades ago...