Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default unit hums when turned sideways,.

"choobs" wrote in message
Pulled the amp from an old phono player. It was intended to be mounted
with the tubes horizontally. I want to situate it vertically. When I
do so I get a lot of hum. If I turn it upright, the way they intended,
it's much quieter. Can someone explain why this might be? Can I unbolt
the power transformer and rotate it 90 degrees? Thanks to all.

**Before doing any radical surgery, you could try a shield (if not already
in place) around the low level tubes. Copper or aluminium are the materials
of choice here. Wrap it around the tube and earth securely. Leave some space
for air circulation, of course. If it doesn't work, it should only cost a
few cents and a few minutes to find out one way or the other.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au