Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jaap[_2_] jaap[_2_] is offline

Default Experience with Shuguang tubes

Recently I bought a new pair of Shuguang 2A3 tubes from an Ebay shop in
China. Arrived in good shape, thanks to careful handling of the post,
not because of decent packaging. Put them up for a test in the old AVO
mk IV to be sure they survived the bumpy ride. One measured at half the
original RCA specs, the other even at ten percent less.

Anyone with the same or different experience with these cheap Chinese
tubes? All together they don't come that cheap, compared to old USA
production which test normally well beyond rejection.

FWIW, the seller does not respond to my complaint. It might be because
of the language barrier, or he might know what he's selling.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

"jaap" wrote in message
l.nl...
Recently I bought a new pair of Shuguang 2A3 tubes from an Ebay shop in
China. Arrived in good shape, thanks to careful handling of the post,
not because of decent packaging. Put them up for a test in the old AVO
mk IV to be sure they survived the bumpy ride. One measured at half the
original RCA specs, the other even at ten percent less.

Anyone with the same or different experience with these cheap Chinese
tubes? All together they don't come that cheap, compared to old USA
production which test normally well beyond rejection.

FWIW, the seller does not respond to my complaint. It might be because
of the language barrier, or he might know what he's selling.

I find that in dealing with the Chinese sellers, the fewer words, the
better. "Don't work, want to send back." Followed up with "Will inform Ebay,
thank you."

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PeterD PeterD is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:36:53 +0200, jaap wrote:

Recently I bought a new pair of Shuguang 2A3 tubes from an Ebay shop in
China. Arrived in good shape, thanks to careful handling of the post,
not because of decent packaging. Put them up for a test in the old AVO
mk IV to be sure they survived the bumpy ride. One measured at half the
original RCA specs, the other even at ten percent less.

Anyone with the same or different experience with these cheap Chinese
tubes? All together they don't come that cheap, compared to old USA
production which test normally well beyond rejection.

FWIW, the seller does not respond to my complaint. It might be because
of the language barrier, or he might know what he's selling.

Why would anyone buy something from a seller in China?

Of course they are no good.

Of course the seller won't respond. He's got your money.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

jaap wrote:

Recently I bought a new pair of Shuguang 2A3 tubes from an Ebay shop in
China. Arrived in good shape, thanks to careful handling of the post,
not because of decent packaging. Put them up for a test in the old AVO
mk IV to be sure they survived the bumpy ride. One measured at half the
original RCA specs, the other even at ten percent less.

Anyone with the same or different experience with these cheap Chinese
tubes? All together they don't come that cheap, compared to old USA
production which test normally well beyond rejection.

FWIW, the seller does not respond to my complaint. It might be because
of the language barrier, or he might know what he's selling.

He he, the chinee boy he know how to make de dolla dolla!

Dat all he know.

You buy toobee from chinee boy, you need rubish bin soon.

All the tubes they make regardless of quality are sold.

So you need to buy 4 to get 2 good ones, luck permitting.

I have steered clear of chinese tubes and tube amps and
last year have had to completly re-engineer the attrocious amplifiers
some asian makers are flogging to the gullible public.
People see these cheap deals splashed around the web, and send off
$700 to HongKong Hi-Fi or other companies
which should be named ( Bung-Junk inc,) and they get a few weeks of
listening
and then the smoke sets it.

The quality is utter crap throughout, and the fuctards selling this crap
are in an economy where workers get paid $2 per day, and may be quite
illiterate.
$700 is like a huge windfall, if it costs $100 to make an amp, and you
get
$600 profit. And such direct dealing of rubbish from the east
for money from the west is what constitutes successful business.

But owners of chinese amps become dissolusioned, angry about the early
failures,
and the complete lack of after sales service, and get the wrong idea
about tube amps.

Of course not all asian made electronics is always this bad. There is
Jolida, Ming-Da,
and Consonance, better than the rest. But that all costs much more than
$700 for 80 watts
in two channels.

After 50 years of compulsory communism, the chinese have no scruples
about
ripping off anyone with more money than they have.
I doubt the left hand knows what the right hand is doing in china much
of the time.

Give them 20 years, maybe they'll wake up.

It takes real brains to make tubed audio amps and tubes.
Trouble is the old retro technology has to compete with
modernity's solid horror story, which is dirt cheap to make.

So those attracted to tube amps construction are often short of the full
brain required,
or truly desperate entrepreneurs,
judging by what I have seen in the schematics and designs coming out of
asia by the boat load.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bassett[_2_] bassett[_2_] is offline

There's a couple of sellers on e-bay [[ richtonaudio and
trade-bid-bid ] who sell there stuff with an opening bid of 99 cents,
You will then find that they require exorbitant postal // freight
charges, $380, $420, or $480. Which is the price of the amp's or
whatever.

So to test the system I did bid on an amp, and won the item, for
99 cent's I then sent the vender a pay-pal account for 99 cent's
asked for the serial number of MY amp, and informed the vender I
would get someone in Hong Kong, to collect it.

Consequently, I,m still waiting. I did inform e-bay and pay-pal about
this, but e-bay refuse to do anything about it, even though it's a scam
to avoid paying commissions.

I have also found that Chinese manufacturers will tell you anything to
make a sale, then drop you like last nights dinner, when you
complain. There is no Chinese word for "refund"

bassett

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jaap[_3_] jaap[_3_] is offline

bassett wrote:
(snip)
I have also found that Chinese manufacturers will tell you anything to
make a sale, then drop you like last nights dinner, when you
complain. There is no Chinese word for "refund"

bassett

Well, I'll raise the red flag on anyone trying to rip me off. Guess it's
the only way to deal with this Ebay scam.

Anyone a decent pair of RCA 2A3s for sale? [including airmail to Holland...]
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jaap[_3_] jaap[_3_] is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

He he, the chinee boy he know how to make de dolla dolla!

Dat all he know.

You buy toobee from chinee boy, you need rubish bin soon.

All the tubes they make regardless of quality are sold.

So you need to buy 4 to get 2 good ones, luck permitting.

Wish there was more info on this matter in the fora. I would not have
dealt with this seller if warned. Really no one a positive experience
with these tubes?

[...]

Some goes for Chinese 'High End' players? Sorry, I don't recall names as
these all look/sound alike.

Jaap
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

jaap wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

He he, the chinee boy he know how to make de dolla dolla!

Dat all he know.

You buy toobee from chinee boy, you need rubish bin soon.

All the tubes they make regardless of quality are sold.

So you need to buy 4 to get 2 good ones, luck permitting.

Wish there was more info on this matter in the fora. I would not have
dealt with this seller if warned. Really no one a positive experience
with these tubes?

The chinese tubes don't like being used at high voltage and high
temperatures.

snip,

Some goes for Chinese 'High End' players? Sorry, I don't recall names as
these all look/sound alike.

Jaap

You mean CD players.

A guy here bought a Consonance player with tubed output, and nothing
special.
It gave trouble soon with whirring noises in the signal that nobody here
knew how to fix.

I had a look and found it to be a really awful POS to work on.

Compared to a Sony player with Allen Wright upgrade,
it just was nothing special.

Without the service manual which I could not get I could not
fix the unit.

Never ever buy ANYTHING unless there is a full workshop manual available
and good back up service.

The Chinese have a large distance to travel before their service support
entities are as good as those of say Yamaha.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mike Mueller Mike Mueller is offline

jaap wrote:
Recently I bought a new pair of Shuguang 2A3 tubes from an Ebay shop in
China. Arrived in good shape, thanks to careful handling of the post,
not because of decent packaging. Put them up for a test in the old AVO
mk IV to be sure they survived the bumpy ride. One measured at half the
original RCA specs, the other even at ten percent less.

Anyone with the same or different experience with these cheap Chinese
tubes? All together they don't come that cheap, compared to old USA
production which test normally well beyond rejection.

FWIW, the seller does not respond to my complaint. It might be because
of the language barrier, or he might know what he's selling.\

When using paypal, use your american express card as your primary
payment option. Visa or MAstercard do work also. Do not use your ATM
card. Same as the checking account
American Express knows the word refund. It's instant.
Never use tour checking account as a primary funding sorce.
Your **** out of luck.
Good luck
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Wish there was more info on this matter in the fora. I would not have
dealt with this seller if warned. Really no one a positive experience with
these tubes?

I bought two of them from Antique Electronics Supply, in Tempe AZ USA,
labeled Valve Art. They meet spec, and still work after moderate use. The
amp isn't powerful enough for me to use regularly, so long term life I can't
tell much about.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
wb wb is offline

Hi,
I have a couple amps I build that use 2A3's in single ended
configuration and I bought four Chinese 2A3's to test the prototypes
with. They worked fine to about 250 plate volts then they would either
start making odd thumping sounds or produce a very audible swishing
sound. Since my amps run a plate voltage of 310 volts and are fixed bias,
these tubes just plain did not work. I have pairs of vintage RCA as well
as Sovtek and the new EH Gold Grid and all work excellent in my 2A3
amps. Although I have had good luck with the Chinese 12AX7's, I would
not recommend any of their rectifier or output tubes for audio use.
Their 6L6's and 6550's (as well as KT66 and KT88 marked tubes) love to
develop shorts. It is not uncommon to plug in a new Chinese 5AR4
rectifier and have your amp start blowing fuses. Many of the sellers on
Ebay are selling 'seconds'. By this I mean they are selling the tubes
others want to dump because they do not meet their criteria for audio
use. Look for a seller that has a lot of positive feedback if you must
go the Ebay route. Personally I would deal with places like Radio
Electric Supply, Doug's Tubes, The Tube Depot, Triode Electronics or
Antique Electronic supply. There are others, but these are the ones I
know. With respect to the 2A3, I have been very satisfied with both
Electroharmonix and Sovtek.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jaap[_3_] jaap[_3_] is offline

wb wrote:
Hi, I have a couple amps I build that use 2A3's in single ended
configuration and I bought four Chinese 2A3's to test the prototypes
with. They worked fine to about 250 plate volts then they would either
start making odd thumping sounds or produce a very audible swishing
sound.

Thanks for your input. By plate voltage do you mean the voltage from
anode to ground? That would consist of Vak (the voltage differential
between anode and cathode) plus the grid voltage.

Many of the sellers on
Ebay are selling 'seconds'. By this I mean they are selling the tubes
others want to dump because they do not meet their criteria for audio
use.

Exactly my thought. Good news: communications established with the
seller and tubes are on their way back to China. Hopefully a refund will
follow

EH 7591s - Experience in favor of NOS tubes Jon Yaeger Vacuum Tubes 11 November 9th 06 08:44 AM
The SSL experience... amost Pro Audio 2 July 25th 06 11:32 AM
Shuguang 845M use in SET amps. Patrick Turner Vacuum Tubes 7 January 13th 06 10:09 AM
Pictures of Shuguang factory Stevey Vacuum Tubes 31 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Experience with JVC? Jonas Viklund Car Audio 1 April 17th 04 08:48 AM