Posted to rec.audio.pro
dansinch dansinch is offline

Default Unbalanced output to headphones? Why isn't this working?

For my band's rehearsal set up, we are trying to figure out a way to
run some prerecorded tracks from a Mac laptop to our PA while also
sending the same tracks with an additional click track to a set of
headphones that I'm wearing (I play the drums).

We're using an M-Audio MobilePre USB for sending the output. It has
two unbalanced outputs. One is going to the PA (works fine), and the
other is going to the headphones. If I plug the headphones directly
into the output, I hear it fine. But since my drums are on the other
side of the room, I'm using a 20-25' male-to-female 1/4" cable (stereo/
TRS). When I plug the headphones into that, I get nothing. I've
tried using different 1/8-to-1/4 adapters (TS and TRS) and it doesn't
seem to make a difference.

I suspect that there's some combination of cables/adapters that will
work here, but so far nothing.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

dansinch wrote:
[...]

Have you tested the headphone extension for proper continuity and shorts?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

dansinch wrote:

We're using an M-Audio MobilePre USB for sending the output. It has
two unbalanced outputs. One is going to the PA (works fine), and the
other is going to the headphones. If I plug the headphones directly
into the output, I hear it fine. But since my drums are on the other
side of the room, I'm using a 20-25' male-to-female 1/4" cable (stereo/
TRS). When I plug the headphones into that, I get nothing. I've
tried using different 1/8-to-1/4 adapters (TS and TRS) and it doesn't
seem to make a difference.

TRS should probably be fine, although it won't be very loud. I'd doubt
if it would be loud enough if you're playing drums.

I suspect that there's some combination of cables/adapters that will
work here, but so far nothing.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

I don't know, but the ohmmeter will tell you. Do T,R, and S on one end
actually go to T,R, and S respectively on the other end? The ohmmeter
is your friend.