Posted to rec.audio.pro
bigdane1973 bigdane1973 is offline

Default Earthworks Drum micing systems.

Anyone ever uses the Earthworks Drum Kit Systems? It only uses 3 mics.
Any experiences thoughts?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

bigdane1973 wrote:
Anyone ever uses the Earthworks Drum Kit Systems? It only uses 3 mics.

No, but I have used plenty of three-mike systems, and I have used Earthworks
on overheads.

Any experiences thoughts?

I think the limiting issue with this system is the kick drum mike, and I
think you're probably better off with a conventional dynamic kick like
the RE-20 or 421, since so much of the sound of an open kick comes from
microphone overload.

But using omnis as overheads is just fine, sure. You can do better than
the Earthworks but you can do worse too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 7, 2:11 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
bigdane1973 wrote:
Anyone ever uses the Earthworks Drum Kit Systems? It only uses 3 mics.

No, but I have used plenty of three-mike systems, and I have used Earthworks
on overheads.

Any experiences thoughts?

I think the limiting issue with this system is the kick drum mike, and I
think you're probably better off with a conventional dynamic kick like
the RE-20 or 421, since so much of the sound of an open kick comes from
microphone overload.

But using omnis as overheads is just fine, sure. You can do better than
the Earthworks but you can do worse too.

it just seems like you would not have much control when it is time to
mix.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

bigdane1973 wrote:

it just seems like you would not have much control when it is time to
mix.

Of course not, that's the beauty. You get it right the first time and
you don't have any opportunity to screw with it afterward.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

bigdane1973 wrote:

it just seems like you would not have much control when it is time to
mix.

Of course not, that's the beauty. You get it right the first time and
you don't have any opportunity to screw with it afterward.

Hmmmm. Good Point!

It really boils down to the type of music being recorded. The "3-Mic
System" works great for more organic types of music. Jazz, maybe blues,
some rock. But when it comes down to more modern rock and metal, even
pop, you must close mic with more mics. When you want drums that sound
natural, like a drum kit, then the 3 mic approach is great. That's not
most rock or metal though.

What type of music are you recording BigDane?

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

bigdane1973 wrote:

[...]

mosty soul, r&b, gospel and some jazz.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Brault Tim Brault is offline

bigdane1973 wrote:

[...]

I've used the Earthworks on overheads before, and I really dig the
results. As far as the 3 mic technique, that works for a more
realistic sound of the drumkit, not the sound you get from close mics.
Its just another production decision.

However, I think that even if the 3 mic kit isnt ideal for your style,
its still a good deal--who couldn't use some earthworks omnis and a
sweet cardiod mic?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gidney N. Cloyd Gidney N. Cloyd is offline

Tim Brault wrote:

I've used the Earthworks on overheads before, and I really dig the
results....

I've used Earthworks SR71 cardiods weekly (well nearly weekly -- radio
show whenever a real kit comes in). The thing I like about them is that
the off-axis sound is pretty close to on-axis, so you can adjust balance
between parts of the kit by aiming. I'm usually happy with the drum sound,
but I'm never really unhappy with it. In the context of a radio show, it gets
the kit into the mix without a lot of setup time.

That said, I haven't tried an omni with attenuator on kick; since I've got
a D15E I use that. Might be a good idea for a kick that sounds really good
in the room, but I'd worry about bleed from the rest of the band.

However, I think that even if the 3 mic kit isnt ideal for your style,
its still a good deal--who couldn't use some earthworks omnis and a
sweet cardiod mic?

When I get a small kit in, especially one in supporting an acoustic combo,
I'll run a pair of omnis instead of cardiods as overheads and dispense
with the kick mic since the drummer's dispensed with the kick (uses floor
tom). I really like the kit sound with this setup.

drum micing? Craig Ruggels Pro Audio 16 January 5th 07 09:28 PM
3 ch drum micing greggery peccary Pro Audio 14 March 7th 06 06:28 AM
no more drum micing! (perhaps) LuKeNuKuM Pro Audio 13 July 11th 05 02:29 PM
Earthworks QTC1's on Drum Overheads? EricK Pro Audio 4 May 16th 05 03:57 AM
earthworks drum micing kit? Particle Salad Pro Audio 3 December 23rd 04 04:18 AM