Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioetc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Auto Cable Coiler

No connection to them. Just an FYI. www.cablecoiler.com

Eric

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 7 Mar 2007 02:32:31 -0800, wrote:

No connection to them. Just an FYI.
www.cablecoiler.com

Eric

This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where the
twist inevitably happens.. Cables should be coiled by hand in a
figure-8 pattern. This ensures no net twist either going onto or off
the coil.

And of course this thing had a working battery. How long is that going
to be the case?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Don Pearce wrote:
This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where the
twist inevitably happens.. Cables should be coiled by hand in a
figure-8 pattern. This ensures no net twist either going onto or off
the coil.

Agreed. It also looks to me like you need to have the cable laid out all
nice and neat before you coil it. What happens if you have a bit of a
tangle in the middle of the cable. When coiling by hand you can easily
stop and work the tangle out, quickly. I can't imagine this device would
save any time in the end.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 7, 5:43 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:

This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where the
twist inevitably happens.

You just have to be careful with your cables. I used to coil cables
"over and under" but I found that too often someone else would uncoil
them and get a string of knots. So now I tend to coil them "round" and
uncoil them the same way. It's not hard once you get the hang of it.

I think that auto-winder is a pretty cool idea, actually, but I, too,
would wonder about the battery life. And if you're working a large
show with 50 or more cables to pack up, the crew would be fighting
over who gets to play with the neat toy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
(Don Pearce) wrote:

This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where
the
twist inevitably happens.

You just have to be careful with your cables. I used to coil cables
"over and under" but I found that too often someone else would uncoil
them and get a string of knots. So now I tend to coil them "round" and
uncoil them the same way. It's not hard once you get the hang of it.

I think that auto-winder is a pretty cool idea, actually, but I, too,
would wonder about the battery life. And if you're working a large
show with 50 or more cables to pack up, the crew would be fighting
over who gets to play with the neat toy.

I use those orange plastic reels they sell for power extension
cords. I roll the mic cables up on them (plugged end-to-end)
and store them on the reels. Then when I set up, I just pull
as much cable off the reel as needed, unplug, and I'm done.
No twisting, no batteries, no cable ties, etc. About $5 each.
Each reel stores up to 500ft of cable depending on how many
connectors and the diameter of the cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Levitt Jay Levitt is offline

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:43:49 GMT, Don Pearce wrote:

This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where the
twist inevitably happens.. Cables should be coiled by hand in a
figure-8 pattern. This ensures no net twist either going onto or off
the coil.

Are you sure there's a difference? I came across that same site the other
day and was thinking of getting one to play with. Figure-8 coiling gives
you no net twist, as you say... but I'm thinking if you uncoil a cable that
has no twist at all, it lays with no twist. No?

Jay
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:43:49 GMT, Don Pearce wrote:

This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where the
twist inevitably happens.. Cables should be coiled by hand in a
figure-8 pattern. This ensures no net twist either going onto or off
the coil.

Are you sure there's a difference? I came across that same site the other
day and was thinking of getting one to play with. Figure-8 coiling gives
you no net twist, as you say... but I'm thinking if you uncoil a cable
that
has no twist at all, it lays with no twist. No?

Depends on how you "uncoil" it. If you "unroll" it, you are
correct that you end up with no twist. But I've never seen
anyone do this with a roll of cable that wasn't on a spool.
It is not a natural way to handle cable by hand.

OTOH most (all) people I've observed tend to feed the cable
off the "side" because it is easy and intuitive. That will give
you one twist per loop unless it was stored over/under.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Jay Levitt wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

This is bad news for cables. When you coil a cable this way it has no
twist - they are right. But you don't put it back on the machine to
uncoil it, you take off the tie and stretch it out - that is where the
twist inevitably happens.. Cables should be coiled by hand in a
figure-8 pattern. This ensures no net twist either going onto or off
the coil.

Are you sure there's a difference? I came across that same site the other
day and was thinking of getting one to play with. Figure-8 coiling gives
you no net twist, as you say... but I'm thinking if you uncoil a cable that
has no twist at all, it lays with no twist. No?

Jay

Only if you uncoil it the way it was coiled. In the case of this device
the plan is to coil it on the unit then remove it. When you next uncoil
it you will induce the twist. Storing cables on a reel is different than
this approach, and works fine.

The over/under approach effectively uses the fig-8 concept.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2007-03-07 said:
"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
I think that auto-winder is a pretty cool idea, actually, but I,
too, would wonder about the battery life. And if you're working a
large show with 50 or more cables to pack up, the crew would be
fighting over who gets to play with the neat toy.

I use those orange plastic reels they sell for power extension
cords. I roll the mic cables up on them (plugged end-to-end)
and store them on the reels. Then when I set up, I just pull
as much cable off the reel as needed, unplug, and I'm done.
No twisting, no batteries, no cable ties, etc. About $5 each.
Each reel stores up to 500ft of cable depending on how many
connectors and the diameter of the cable.

NO batteries is great, simple to operate. I've always liked
that solution myself. IT just don't work with cables with
connectors that don't mate such as xlr.

I've been known to buy one of those big hose reels on wheels
for a snake too. KEeps everything neat.

WHy have I rented more multicores from rental places where
it was just thrown at me in a big mess? tHose hose reels
are so much neater, no having to worry about a trunk, and no
mess of multicore all in knots. i've rented more snakes
that were abused by rental clients from rental houses, get
out to the gig and find channels that don't work etc.

Last time I rented for a show in NEw ORleans from one of the
big players down there they threw me a 16 channel with 4
returns snake, all in just a medusan mass. wHen I got it
there three channels didn't work. I made a note of it and
tied it with a wire tie to the snake when I gave it back. I
also told 'em one channel on the souncraft desk didn't pass
audio, which they were never told before.
AT least the mixer was nicely packed in a road case, unlike
the multicore.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Braille: support true literacy for the blind.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

hank alrich wrote:
Jay Levitt wrote:

[...]