Posted to rec.audio.pro
YourHomeStudioDotCom YourHomeStudioDotCom is offline

Default Gear Reviews

I'm writing this to see if anyone would like to submit recording gear
reviews for YourHomeStudioDotCom's monthly newsletter. Please email
me
your gear reviews to . I will publish
as
many as I can each month.

Thomas
yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 6, 10:05 am, "YourHomeStudioDotCom"
wrote:
I'm writing this to see if anyone would like to submit recording gear
reviews for YourHomeStudioDotCom's monthly newsletter.

How much are you paying?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:
I'm writing this to see if anyone would like to submit recording gear
reviews for YourHomeStudioDotCom's monthly newsletter.

How much are you paying?

He's not even paying attention.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
YourHomeStudioDotCom YourHomeStudioDotCom is offline

Paying?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 6, 3:29 pm, "YourHomeStudioDotCom"
wrote:
Paying?

You seem surprised. I write reviews for Recording and Pro Audio Review
magazines and they pay. Why shouldn't you?

How else could I keep up my boat payments?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
YourHomeStudioDotCom YourHomeStudioDotCom is offline

I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

"YourHomeStudioDotCom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it in '87 - still
using it and it sounds great.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 6, 4:46 pm, "YourHomeStudioDotCom"
wrote:
I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Well, frankly, I don't see why websites don't pay for reviews,
particularly ones like Harmony Central, that has plenty of income.
Where's it all going? Yeah, tell me how expensive it is to operate a
web site. But then, it's the Internet. It's supposed to be free,
right?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

wrote:
I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Well, frankly, I don't see why websites don't pay for reviews,
particularly ones like Harmony Central, that has plenty of income.
Where's it all going? Yeah, tell me how expensive it is to operate a
web site. But then, it's the Internet. It's supposed to be free,
right?

If you suck a lot of bandwidth, you pay :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 6, 6:33 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:

If you suck a lot of bandwidth, you pay :-)

If you suck a lot of bandwidth you have something good to sell to
advertisers, which gives you money that you can pay to your content
providers, which will create more traffic, and make you more money.

Hey, let's start a web site and get rich!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:46:26 -0800, YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote:

I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews.

That's why nobody in their right mind trusts the "reviews" on websites.

Check out Harmony Central, for instance.

Thanks for proving my point.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote:

I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

I have, a couple of times, and I never found a review that read as if
the reviewer knew much of anything about what he/she was reviewing, nor
much about how the item might be used in general. I don't go there
anymore.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote:

I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Well, I wouldn't pay money for those reviews either. Which is the basic
problem.... if you don't pay for reviews, you get stuff like Harmony Central
puts out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Fred DeRosa wrote:

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it in '87 - still
using it and it sounds great.

It is great. But a reviewer should explain why it's great, with accurate
traceable measurements to show that it's great and that the manufacturer
isn't lying about it.

A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a little
cleaner but has a lot less power.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:33 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:

If you suck a lot of bandwidth, you pay :-)

If you suck a lot of bandwidth you have something good to sell to
advertisers, which gives you money that you can pay to your content
providers, which will create more traffic, and make you more money.

Hey, let's start a web site and get rich!

I KNEW you had a mind for business! You hire the cute receptionist, I'll
order the Lamborghini's. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:29:14 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Fred DeRosa wrote:

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it in '87 - still
using it and it sounds great.

It is great. But a reviewer should explain why it's great, with
accurate traceable measurements to show that it's great and that the
manufacturer isn't lying about it.

A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a
little cleaner but has a lot less power.

C'mon Scott, get serious!

That means the reviewer would have to actually gain access to a GFA 535
and take the time to compare them.

Or is it OK to just compare the published sec sheets?

Could we just say it sounds better than my Behringer/Peavey/Nady/Whatever
and leave it at that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:05:24 -0500, YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote
(in article . com):

I'm writing this to see if anyone would like to submit recording gear
reviews for YourHomeStudioDotCom's monthly newsletter. Please email
me
your gear reviews to . I will publish
as
many as I can each month.

Thomas
yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Good luck with that.
..
Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demos
http://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:46:26 -0500, YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote
(in article .com):

I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Harmony Central :snicker:

Pro Sound Web paid me (quite well) for content.

MIX, Millimeter, PAR and a few I'm forgetting also paid me for online usage.

Stop raping innocent technology writers! W have as many bills to pay as you
do!

:Where's my picket apron and sign; We'll set up a picket line no one will
cross!!!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demos
http://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Fred DeRosa wrote:

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it in '87 - still
using it and it sounds great.

It is great. But a reviewer should explain why it's great, with accurate
traceable measurements to show that it's great and that the manufacturer
isn't lying about it.

A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a little
cleaner but has a lot less power.
--scott

I don't have to explain anything if I am not getting paid. That was the
point for the really short review. What do you expect, Scott, it's for free,
that is all I am going to put in it. Even that was too much, I should have
just limited it to stating that it is black.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote:

I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Well, I wouldn't pay money for those reviews either. Which is the basic
problem.... if you don't pay for reviews, you get stuff like Harmony
Central
puts out.
--scott

And you chide me for my review above? I didn't get paid. That's all you get.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:05:24 -0500, YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote
(in article . com):

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Good luck with that.

Hey, it's a newsletter for free home studios!

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Ty Ford wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:05:24 -0500, YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote
(in article . com):

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Good luck with that.

Hey, it's a newsletter for free home studios!

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

So can I record at his home studio for free? Cool, I'll be right over...

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Poductions
this sig is haiku

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tracy Wintermute Tracy Wintermute is offline

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 02:42:33 GMT, Romeo Rondeau
wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:33 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:

Hey, let's start a web site and get rich!

I KNEW you had a mind for business! You hire the cute receptionist, I'll
order the Lamborghini's. :-)

I volunteer to test drive the receptionist.
I s'pose I could whip up a decent alfredo for the Lamborghini as
well....

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Mandic Daniel Mandic is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Well, frankly, I don't see why websites don't pay for reviews,
particularly ones like Harmony Central, that has plenty of income.
Where's it all going? Yeah, tell me how expensive it is to operate a
web site. But then, it's the Internet. It's supposed to be free,
right?

Well, but maybe Thomas wishes to make a better info (review) Homepage,
than HarmonyCentral is. Because there is plenty crap written. E.g.
,about Keyboards.

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 6, 10:06 pm, Agent 86 wrote:

A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a
little cleaner but has a lot less power.

C'mon Scott, get serious!

That means the reviewer would have to actually gain access to a GFA 535
and take the time to compare them.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that makes it worth while to pay a
reviewer. In a recent review that Scott wrote of a ribbon mic, he
compared it with a 77DX (because he has one). In a recent review of
some mics, I compared the large capsule condenser mic side by side
(actually end to end) with a U87, and the ribbon mic with a couple of
Beyers and an M260 with a 77DX ribbon in it (because that's what I
thought it sounded a bit like).

A reviewer should have enough broad experience to compare things, not
simply, never having heard or used anything like what he's reviewing,
saying either that he liked it (which is what they say most of the
time) or didn't like it, or (nearly all the time) that it's good for
the price.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 7, 12:32 am, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:

I don't have to explain anything if I am not getting paid. That was the
point for the really short review. What do you expect, Scott, it's for free,

And worth every penny. Who needs that? I guess maybe someone who wants
to see if anyone else has one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steven R. Rochlin Steven R. Rochlin is offline

"YourHomeStudioDotCom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Quite a few online magazines pay for reviews, including Enjoy the Music.com.
As i highly value journalists with experience, great ears and the ability to
put their assessments in concise, informative (and entertaining) articles...

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin
http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

Where you can find:
Superior Audio, The Absolute Sound,
Review Magazine, The $ensible Sound,
The Audiophile Voice... and MUCH more!

"YourHomeStudioDotCom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can understand a magazine paying for content but I haven't seen a
website that pays for reviews. Check out Harmony Central, for
instance.

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steven R. Rochlin Steven R. Rochlin is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote
A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a little
cleaner but has a lot less power

i loved the 535 amplifier and it was indeed better than the 545 or 555 imo.
Would say more, but then my review might appear for free on someone's
website ;-)

Fred DeRosa wrote:

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it in '87 - still
using it and it sounds great.

It is great. But a reviewer should explain why it's great, with accurate
traceable measurements to show that it's great and that the manufacturer
isn't lying about it.

A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a little
cleaner but has a lot less power.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steven R. Rochlin Steven R. Rochlin is offline

Wow, i love this thread and sorry about the multiple posts. Lots of great
comments on this thread and hope you do not mind the chiming in.

Yup, made a small fortune with the audiophile site going on over a decade
online. Problem is i stared with a larger one (old joke, sorry)

As for the Lambo, take my word for it; unless you make it BIG you'll be
lucky if the site can pay for just the cost to maintain the Lambo (or
Ferrari in my case). It kinda feels like when some dumb chick named Britney
who can not sing and has virtually no talent can make millions while us
talented folks only get... you engineers know what i mean.

As for the lack of trusting reviews online, generally agree though look at
who the writers are on Enjoy the Music.com. Ok, so the magazine is not for
studio folks, yet we have longstanding writers like Dick Olsher (was Fi
editor, S'phile Senior editor, and now TAS senior writer), Alvin Gold (too
many print pubs to list), Steven Stone (various guitar mags and home
electronic magazines), etc... and from time to time John Gatski (PAR editor)
pens a review. Guess Enjoy the Music.com must be doing something right,
Manley Labs, TacT, Linn, Pass Labs and others has/have been a longtime
advertiser. Apologies for the possible appearance of self-promotion so will
go stand in the corner for punishment after i post this.

Fully agree there are many websites with reviews that are, well... you know.
Few pure-play online audiophile review magazines go out and hire top-notch
reviewers. Please believe me when i say if at the end of the day my personal
pay from the site is $2/hr i'd be happy. It is indeed a labor of love (or
insanity, take your pick or choose both.... its free ).

Wish the YourHomeStudio luck at getting quality free writers, though somehow
it probably will not happen. Lastly, before i go stand in the corner, Enjoy
the Music.com might suck but it sucks less than others.

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin
http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

Where you can find:
Superior Audio, The Absolute Sound,
Review Magazine, The $ensible Sound,
The Audiophile Voice... and MUCH more!

"Romeo Rondeau" wrote in message
t...
Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 6, 6:33 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:

If you suck a lot of bandwidth, you pay :-)

If you suck a lot of bandwidth you have something good to sell to
advertisers, which gives you money that you can pay to your content
providers, which will create more traffic, and make you more money.

Hey, let's start a web site and get rich!

I KNEW you had a mind for business! You hire the cute receptionist, I'll
order the Lamborghini's. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

As for the Lambo, take my word for it; unless you make it BIG you'll be
lucky if the site can pay for just the cost to maintain the Lambo (or
Ferrari in my case). It kinda feels like when some dumb chick named Britney
who can not sing and has virtually no talent can make millions while us
talented folks only get... you engineers know what i mean.

I guess you missed the :-)... :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Fred DeRosa" wrote in message
nk.net
"YourHomeStudioDotCom" wrote
in message
oups.com...
I can understand a magazine paying for content but I
haven't seen a website that pays for reviews. Check out
Harmony Central, for instance.

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it
in '87 - still using it and it sounds great.

I think it would be fun to compare that Adcom GFA 555 to say, a Behringer
A500.

I have the A500, and I have the means to test both amps, both technically
and subjectively.

Here are my web sites for publishing equipment reviews -
www.pcabx.com and
www.pcavtech.com.

Exactly what are you offering?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Fred DeRosa wrote:

Here is one for free. I have an Adcom GFA 555, bought it in '87 - still
using it and it sounds great.

It is great. But a reviewer should explain why it's great, with
accurate traceable measurements to show that it's great and that the
manufacturer isn't lying about it.

A reviewer should also compare it with the GFA 535, which sounds a
little cleaner but has a lot less power.

That means the reviewer would have to actually gain access to a GFA 535
and take the time to compare them.

Right. And the difference is pretty subtle... you wouldn't notice it
without a direct A/B test.

Or is it OK to just compare the published sec sheets?

No, because they are totally meaningless. In the case of the Adcom, though,
they are at least honest. That's something a reviewer should note.

Could we just say it sounds better than my Behringer/Peavey/Nady/Whatever
and leave it at that?

No, that's not a very useful review. At the very least you should compare
it to something better, something worse, and something about the same. And
you should describe the differences. Otherwise the reader has no real
reference point.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that makes it worth while to pay a
reviewer. In a recent review that Scott wrote of a ribbon mic, he
compared it with a 77DX (because he has one).

More than that. I compared it wth the 77DX because that is pretty much
the canonical standard that people think about when they think about
ribbon mikes. When people say "I want that ribbon mike sound" they
are usually talking about a 77DX or 44B.

In a recent review of
some mics, I compared the large capsule condenser mic side by side
(actually end to end) with a U87, and the ribbon mic with a couple of
Beyers and an M260 with a 77DX ribbon in it (because that's what I
thought it sounded a bit like).

Which again is reasonable, since the U87 is a good standard of comparison.
People know what it sounds like.

A reviewer should have enough broad experience to compare things, not
simply, never having heard or used anything like what he's reviewing,
saying either that he liked it (which is what they say most of the
time) or didn't like it, or (nearly all the time) that it's good for
the price.

Sometimes it's hard to say nice things about a product, too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly what was paid for. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tardman Tardman is offline

But how does it compare to a Muse Model 100 with Balanced inputs?

All tongue in cheek.

I do like my Muse

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:02:43 GMT, "Fred DeRosa"
wrote:

roups.com...