Posted to rec.audio.pro
Johnny Davies Johnny Davies is offline

Default Sony DMX R100

Can someone tell me how to hook up sony dmx r100 to mac pro to use with pro tools? How can I control my DAW in the sony mixer? Any help will be useful.Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/14/2018 9:23 PM, Johnny Davies wrote:
Can someone tell me how to hook up sony dmx r100 to mac pro to use with pro tools? How can I control my DAW in the sony mixer? Any help will be useful.Thanks

Can you be more specific? How much don't you know? This is potentially a
huge question!

What version of software is your DMX running? Version 2 was a
significant upgrade from the original software, and I think Sony came
out with Version 2.1 before discontinuing the console.

Which interface cards do you have? This is important if you want (or
need) to use Pro Tools like a recorder with advanced signal processing
and use the console as your mixer. A lot were sold with TDIF cards to
interface digitally with the digital recorders of the period, but today
that's pretty much an abandoned digital interface.

If you're dreaming of using the DMX-R100 as a full control surface for
Pro Tools, I don't believe this is possible. At the time the console was
designed, Mackie had the wrap on control surfaces with their HUI
protocol (which is still supported by most of today's DAWs) but 20 years
ago when the DMX was designed, DAWs were "the other way" of working and
either you mixed on a console or you mixed in the box.

The DMX does send MMC (MIDI machine control) so you can probably get the
transport buttons to work with Pro Tools, but it doesn't send anything
that will control the faders in Pro Tools. You can, however, work the
other way by mixing with the console and using MIDI time code from Pro
Tools to synchronize the console's automation with the audio.

That's about all I can remember. Good luck.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/05/2018 12:56, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/14/2018 9:23 PM, Johnny Davies wrote:
Can someone tell me how to hook up sony dmx r100 to mac pro to use
with pro tools? How can I control my DAW in the sony mixer? Any help
will be useful.Thanks

snip
That's about all I can remember. Good luck.

The instruction manual shows a multiport MIDI box fitted between the
mixer and the computer for "music production", but isn't very
informative about why or what it does. All the manuals are available on
line. It also mentions saving settings, but only on the mixer.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Johnny Davies wrote:
Can someone tell me how to hook up sony dmx r100 to mac pro to use with pro tools? How can I control my DAW in the sony mixer? Any help will be useful.Thanks

I don't think you can use it that way.

I think the easy solution is to use DAW as a tape machine, pull tape sends
out of the DAW into the mixer and use the mixer for mixing.

I haven't used one of those in a while but I remember them as actually
sounding decent, and it was one of the first digital mixers that did. EQ was
usable.

So get a MADI card for your Protools machine and run MADI into the Sony.
Use the digital output on the Sony to your mixdown recorder; don't trust
the D/A in the Sony which sounds like it was an afterthought.