Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Default Capsule and Electronics in AKG C414 XLII

Hello,

I'm wondering if the capsule utilized in the AKG C414 XLII is the same as the one used in the C414B TLII. Also wondering if the electronics in the XLII are like the TLII's simple JFET follower with bootstrapped drain and then BJT follower output, or did they go to an opamp architecture? Has anyone here heard the XLII?

Thanks,

Sean B
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/27/2017 3:24 AM, Sean B wrote:
I'm wondering if the capsule utilized in the AKG C414 XLII is the same as the one used in the C414B TLII. Also wondering if the electronics in the XLII are like the TLII's simple JFET follower with bootstrapped drain and then BJT follower output, or did they go to an opamp architecture? Has anyone here heard the XLII?

AKG has made so many different versions of the C414 over its long
history that it's safe to assume that no two are alike, and they all
sound different. Are you looking to modify one? Or are you just curious.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sean B wrote:

I'm wondering if the capsule utilized in the AKG C414 XLII is the same as t=
he one used in the C414B TLII.

It seems to be, although it does not have the same part number. It's
vaguely based on the CK12 geometry but it's intended for pop-together
assembly like the capsule in the B/ULS.

Also wondering if the electronics in the XL=
II are like the TLII's simple JFET follower with bootstrapped drain and the=
n BJT follower output, or did they go to an opamp architecture? Has anyone=
here heard the XLII?

I have heard the XLII and I did not like it at all. But then again, I
always liked the original TL more than the B/ULS and the TLII, so go
figure.

There is a LOT of junk on the board, including multiple ICs. There's no
schematic available, so you'd have to draw it out yourself. I don't want
to spend much time drawing out the schematic of something that sounds bad.
I already have plenty of schematics for things that sound bad.

I don't know what happened at AKG in the past decade or so.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 28/07/2017 1:12 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Sean B wrote:

[...]

--scott

Harman.

geoff

Capsule in AKG C414 TLII Sean B Pro Audio 2 June 23rd 17 10:19 PM
Ok, I know you guys are probably getting sick of this now...but more on C414B XLS/XLII Steve[_18_] Pro Audio 22 April 24th 08 12:17 AM
AKG C414 XLII versus TLII [email protected] Pro Audio 5 September 24th 07 05:36 PM
AKKG 414 XLII vs TLII mosch Pro Audio 17 January 3rd 05 03:52 PM
TLII vs XLII chiasson Pro Audio 5 November 11th 04 04:44 AM