Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

Default Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

Hello People,

On this website you can see a picture of a three voice coil sub woofer:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...io/646685.html

Also known as Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers (taken from creative gigaworks s750 7.1's).

Apperently this is a subwoofer which requires 3 amps of each 70 watts of power to bring this beast alive !

I have mine still stuck in my Gigaworks S750 enclousure. I am thinking/would like to bring it back alive and thus I would like to replace the very shady creative labs electronics with some kind of alternative.

Perhaps the best option is a "plate amp". Apperently this is some kind of plate with some amp electronics attached to it. This could then probably be used to seal the enclosure, it would need to happen to have the same dimensions.

For now this is an experiment mostly to see if it would work, if it is possible and what kind of sound it would give so I can compare it to my memory recollection.

A repairman claims that it is best for the sound quality to have the Gigaworks fulled repaired/restored, however I am not so sure of that claim and I highly doubt it because I cannot imagine how the electronics would improve the sound of other amps.

However there is some speak of "cross-over" frequencies, though this seems to be handled by software and can be set between 10 hz and 200 hz.

Furthermore the creative x-fi elite soundblaster has 3 outputs on the back which split into 9 outputs via special video cables which are used as audio cables, where one output probably has no signal.

So it seems these cables either duplicate the output signals or split them. I confident that there is a subwoofer signal on one of them, going into my receiver and I could probably connect any amp to the receiver, or perhaps even directly to one of these outputs.

My main issue is:

Will this idea work ? Also how to connect amplifiers to this subwoofer ? Is it as easy as simply plugging some cables into the amp and then connecting it to the 3+ and 3- ?

Also my other main question is:

Which equipment is suited for this ? My guess would be some kind of plate amp which can deliver 3x70 watts ? Does such an plate-amp exist ?

If it doesn't would I need to buy 3 amplifiers each of 70 watts ? Perhaps duplicate the subwoofer signal to all 3 with cables ? How would that work ?

An amplifier in a box could also be interesting to play with, but perhaps the amp plate might be a good solution for this gigaworks if it happens to have the same dimensions or otherwise maybe a little bit of extra wood work or so could enclose it ? Perhaps the heatsink of such an amp plate is also enough to cool it and the subwoofer itself doesn't need any cooling.

So please advise if you have any insight or experience into this matter because my experience with "amplifiers" is zero.

I do own a denon receiver 1909 which is used to power the 7 satelitte speakers and this works fabolously.

My main concern is also the safety of the electronics, I kinda don't trust the gigaworks electronics because of all this brown (conductive) glue that might have damaged it and the designs looks kinda shady ! but perhaps I am a bit to untrusty of that also I like to give other electronics a try just to see what it's like.

So if you have any recommendations please share ! It will be very highly appreciated not just by me, but by many many many many owners of gigaworks s750 that have the exact same problem as me.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
A repairman claims that it is best for the sound quality to have the Gigawo=
rks fulled repaired/restored, however I am not so sure of that claim and I =
highly doubt it because I cannot imagine how the electronics would improve =
the sound of other amps.=20

For one thing, I strongly suspect that this speaker is not designed to be
flat, and is designed to be used with an amplifier that has some internal
equalization built into it. That was fairly characteristic of the Cambridge
hardware.

However there is some speak of "cross-over" frequencies, though this seems =
to be handled by software and can be set between 10 hz and 200 hz.=20

If you have a crossover in software, yes. However, these were intended for
use with a hardware crossover that had a low-pass on the sub and a high-pass
on the mains, and it was set so that the overall system response was sort of
flat.

If your receiver has an internal crossover, you could use that, pulling a
sub-out signal from the receiver, running it into an amp, and then into the
speaker.

Which equipment is suited for this ? My guess would be some kind of plate a=
mp which can deliver 3x70 watts ? Does such an plate-amp exist ?=20

Not really, no. You could likely run it off a single stereo amplifier, putting
a 4 ohm load on one channel and an 8 ohm load on the other channel. (This is
assuming that all three voice coils are supposed to be driven.... although for
all anyone knows, one of them could be a feedback winding that is not driven
at all).

So please advise if you have any insight or experience into this matter bec=
ause my experience with "amplifiers" is zero.=20

You are taking a cheesy consumer subwoofer that is intended to be used as
part of an integrated system, and you're trying to use it for something
totally different.

What happened to the REST of the Cambridge Soundworks system?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 1:28:56 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The 7 satelite speakers were connected to a denon 1909 receiver using some video analog to analog cables (from soundblaster/pc to receiver) They split 3 to 9 plugs of which 8 are used.

So for this works nicely.

Any particular reason you ask this question ?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
What happened to the REST of the Cambridge Soundworks system?

The 7 satelite speakers were connected to a denon 1909 receiver using some video analog to analog cables (from soundblaster/pc to receiver) They split 3 to 9 plugs of which 8 are used.

So for this works nicely.

Any particular reason you ask this question ?

Because you have a system that is designed to work together, and I am not
sure why you want to pluck one part of the system out and use it for something
it's not designed for.

Yeah, the electronics driving it are cheaply made.... what makes you think
the cabinet and driver are any better?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The 7 satelite speakers were connected to a denon 1909 receiver using some video analog to analog cables (from soundblaster/pc to receiver) They split 3 to 9 plugs of which 8 are used.

If you are trying to connect this to a standard stereo amp, I'd connect one coil to one channel and the other coil to the other channel and leave the 3rd coil disconnected and call it done.

Be sure to observe the polarity.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 2:07:09 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
What happened to the REST of the Cambridge Soundworks system?

The 7 satelite speakers were connected to a denon 1909 receiver using some video analog to analog cables (from soundblaster/pc to receiver) They split 3 to 9 plugs of which 8 are used.

So for this works nicely.

Any particular reason you ask this question ?

Because you have a system that is designed to work together, and I am not
sure why you want to pluck one part of the system out and use it for something
it's not designed for.

The electronics were damaged by white glue turning into brown glue (because of heat) which became conductive.

The speakers were re-useable, the subwoofer apperently not.

The speakers were tested by a reviewer once and in depth analysis with frequency analyzers and they can reach from something like 100 hz to 48.000 hz or so, so they seem quality components.

I can sort of confirm that myself because the speakers can obtain higher sound quality then for example my HD 590 senheiser, which cannot.

Yeah, the electronics driving it are cheaply made.... what makes you think
the cabinet and driver are any better?

The entire set was again reviewed/analyses by reviewer... and funny enough it is THX certified which is very sweet for anything STARWARS related ! =D

And yes I can ensure that I had a blast with Battlefield 2 too ! =D

In the very near future Starwars Battlefront 2 might/will come out and I am pretty sure owners of a working Gigaworks S750 will be at the forefront of audio enjoyment !

Though I do believe that somewhere out there there might exist even higher quality speakers/subwoofers.

For example some sounds can be heard better on the senheiser, not sure why... maybe lack of subwoofer might have to do something with it, or simply direct contact with ear or angle of sound.

The set belongs together as you seem to understand yourself so it makes most sense to try and bring it back alive together... at least the speakers + subwoofer... assuming the original electronics are replaceable without quality of sound loss.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 1:06:36 AM UTC+2, Geoff wrote:
On 25/07/2017 6:41 PM, wrote:

So if you have any recommendations please share ! It will be very
highly appreciated not just by me, but by many many many many owners
of gigaworks s750 that have the exact same problem as me.

Bye, Skybuck.

Unless you have unlimited time and nothing better to do, I would
consider this an exercise in futility, never likely to achieve any sort
of success technically or audibly.

The sub would have had electronics specifically with specific EQ
built-in to work with the drivers and enclosure. You would be
hard-pressed to emulate that without effectively redesigning from the
ground-up starting with the driver parameters and enclosure /port
dimensions.

However if you are still keen, have a go ! But prepare to be
disappointed with the end result.

geoff

Why would it be so difficult, surround sound specifications must be followed, the input signals seem to be quite simple: 8 in total, 7 for speakers, 1 or 2 for subwoofer and/or LFE or perhaps that same thing... hmmm might have to look into that one.

The denon 1909 receiver is probably more than capable of splitting off the low frequencies from all channels/inputs and forwarding that to pre-sub out or something like that.

And a subwoofer is a subwoofer is a subwoofer lol. Now unless it's a really special one or unless it requires some kind of special wiring all that I think is needed is to power it with 3 amps each of 70 watts. And these 3 amps would take one or maybe two inputs like subwoofer/lfe and replicate that to the subwoofer and then it should work.

Why would it be anymore difficult than that ?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 3:07:08 PM UTC+2, wrote:

The 7 satelite speakers were connected to a denon 1909 receiver using some video analog to analog cables (from soundblaster/pc to receiver) They split 3 to 9 plugs of which 8 are used.

If you are trying to connect this to a standard stereo amp, I'd connect one coil to one channel and the other coil to the other channel and leave the 3rd coil disconnected and call it done.

Be sure to observe the polarity.

It would only have 66% power than ? Seems bad ?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

I have some data sheets available about this device on my webdrive located he

http://www.skybuck.org/GigaWorksS750/

(It's a rar file and will need to be extracted with something like winrar, though windows 7 has it also built-in)

Perhaps these data sheets can shed some more light on this device.

Alternative data sheets might also be located he

http://www.tgahinfo.homecall.co.uk/S750%20PSU/

Bye,
Skybuck.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

I came across this website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

This is one of the few references to "three-way" I came across my investigation as to why a subwoofer would have three voice coils:

"Crossovers are often described as "two-way" or "three-way""

So my latest hypothesis is that this cambridge subwoofer uses different wattage levels to reach different frequency ranges.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

Maybe something like this might work:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_021AMP....html?tp=48757

Crutchfield seems to have all kinds of amplifiers...

Expensive though...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

I came across this website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

This is one of the few references to "three-way" I came across my investigation as to why a subwoofer would have three voice coils:

"Crossovers are often described as "two-way" or "three-way""

Umm... no. Crossovers can split signals into two or three different
frequency bands, is what they are talking about.

So my latest hypothesis is that this cambridge subwoofer uses different wattage levels to reach different frequency ranges.

No.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:13:23 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I came across this website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

This is one of the few references to "three-way" I came across my investigation as to why a subwoofer would have three voice coils:

"Crossovers are often described as "two-way" or "three-way""

Umm... no. Crossovers can split signals into two or three different
frequency bands, is what they are talking about.

So my latest hypothesis is that this cambridge subwoofer uses different wattage levels to reach different frequency ranges.

No.

Repair man did mention that this design (3x70 watt for subwoofer) is better to handle the "extreme low frequencies".

What you make of that huh ?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:13:23 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I came across this website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

This is one of the few references to "three-way" I came across my investigation as to why a subwoofer would have three voice coils:

"Crossovers are often described as "two-way" or "three-way""

Umm... no. Crossovers can split signals into two or three different
frequency bands, is what they are talking about.

So my latest hypothesis is that this cambridge subwoofer uses different wattage levels to reach different frequency ranges.

No.

Repair man did mention that this design (3x70 watt for subwoofer) is better to handle the "extreme low frequencies".

What you make of that huh ?

That he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Trust me, this is
a little box with a cheap driver with a high Fs, you aren't going to get
anything approaching extreme low frequencies out of it.

You get low frequencies by moving the driver resonance down and moving the
box resonance down. An unfortunate side effect of this is that you now
have to move more air, which means either having to increase the driver
surface area or throw (xmax). There's a reason you don't get 20 Hz or
really even 60 Hz out of a box and driver this size.

The multiple voice coil trick is mostly an attempt to cut resistive losses
and make the amps less expensive. Three 8 ohm loads are cheaper to drive
than one 2.6 ohm one if you're using off the shelf amp modules.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

My original hypothesis for this three voice coil design is for 7.1 operation could be the correct one:

Low Frequency from Channels is send to the subwoofer's 3 voice coil.

This hypothesis is confirmed by this document stating different magnetic fields will result in a net magnetic field describing the action/motion taking by the subwoofer. So three voice coil would give more precise control over waves/cosinus/sinus waves inteferring with each other.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dual...oilDrivers.pdf

Since there are only 3 voice coils and 8 signals it would require a mapping for example:

Voice 1: Left+Center+Right
Voice 2: Side Left / Side Right
Voice 3: Rear Right / Rear Left + LFE

This mapping/hypothesis makes the most since to me.

One other hypothesis is that this company wanted to use the same amplifiers to make production easy.

However this does not cancel out my hypothesis either, this is just a convenient/bonus.

My guess is that each 70 watt amplifier is being used to cause this mapping effect.

Thus if I would simply wire a single amplifier in parallel to this subwoofer it would not be the same as wiring three individual amplifiers being driven with a specially processed signal.

Knowing creative labs they would probably have jumped upon this oppertunity to use a three voice coil system to it's maximum audio quality potential.

This is probably simply new technologically that the mainstream market has not yet catched on too, shown by the simple single pre-amp subwoofer out port.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_12_] Chuck[_12_] is offline

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 23:41:39 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Unless playing with this mediocre subwoofer is fun, I'd buy a
Monoprice subwoofer which will cost you less than an amp and has
better sound. The Monoprice are low end except for their Tech Choice
line but are still better than what you have.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 28/07/2017 6:03 PM, wrote:
My original hypothesis for this three voice coil design is for 7.1
operation could be the correct one:

No, it is totally ridiculous.

Low Frequency from Channels is send to the subwoofer's 3 voice coil.

This hypothesis is confirmed by this document stating different
magnetic fields will result in a net magnetic field describing the
action/motion taking by the subwoofer. So three voice coil would give
more precise control over waves/cosinus/sinus waves inteferring with
each other.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dual...oilDrivers.pdf

Since there are only 3 voice coils and 8 signals it would require a
mapping for example:

Voice 1: Left+Center+Right Voice 2: Side Left / Side Right Voice 3:
Rear Right / Rear Left + LFE

This mapping/hypothesis makes the most since to me.

Possibly. but the reason for that is not technical.

You are not our favorite JackAss posting under another name by any
chance ? Because this whole thread would appear to be a trolling
exercise. And if not, you've already spent more time on the project than
it is worth.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_] Ralph Barone[_3_] is offline

Egeoff wrote:
On 28/07/2017 6:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

No. Skybuck is a different troll that usually posts to other groups.
Actually, I take that back. He has strong technical interests, but no
technical knowledge base, so he comes up with goofy hypotheses which he
insists are the Gospel truth. He has changed his user ID, which is why he
slipped through my filters.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 29/07/2017 12:56 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Egeoff wrote:
On 28/07/2017 6:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

OK, so goodbye Sky****. Plonk.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 7/28/2017 8:56 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Egeoff wrote:
On 28/07/2017 6:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Lots of red flags in the first link he posted.
That dialog may have been the first time I've
ever seen ohm used as a verb. [Oy!]
--
==
Later...

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

Egeoff wrote:
On 28/07/2017 6:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Why can't I be as lucky!!??

Look, how about I write for a two bit audio magazine, like Mutt and Jeff do, will you be my friend then!!!??

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 28/07/2017 5:17 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
You get low frequencies by moving the driver resonance down and moving the
box resonance down. An unfortunate side effect of this is that you now
have to move more air, which means either having to increase the driver
surface area or throw (xmax). There's a reason you don't get 20 Hz or
really even 60 Hz out of a box and driver this size.

Not necessarily. It is quite easy to get 20Hz from a 4" driver, but
sadly the maximum SPL will be so low as to be totally inaudible!
That's the bit most companies making small "sub woofers" would like you
to forget. :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 28/07/2017 5:17 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
You get low frequencies by moving the driver resonance down and moving the
box resonance down. An unfortunate side effect of this is that you now
have to move more air, which means either having to increase the driver
surface area or throw (xmax). There's a reason you don't get 20 Hz or
really even 60 Hz out of a box and driver this size.

Not necessarily. It is quite easy to get 20Hz from a 4" driver, but
sadly the maximum SPL will be so low as to be totally inaudible!

Right... because you cannot move more air, as I said.

That's the bit most companies making small "sub woofers" would like you
to forget. :-)

Some folks have had success with driver designs having crazy high xmax.
Carver managed something that worked better than you'd expect. Mind you
this also limits you in your porting design.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron C wrote:
Lots of red flags in the first link he posted.
That dialog may have been the first time I've
ever seen ohm used as a verb. [Oy!]

I think that's an electrician thing. I do hear the electrical people saying
"ohm it out" to mean performing a continuity test.