Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

Default Korg X2 workstation

The LCD contrast knob has broken off, leaving it unreadable. I was hoping someone could help me find a replacement knob. I've looked everywhere online that I can think of with no luck, but I know there's a wealth of knowledge and information here.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/07/2017 10:33 a.m., Joseph wrote:
The LCD contrast knob has broken off, leaving it unreadable. I was hoping someone could help me find a replacement knob. I've looked everywhere online that I can think of with no luck, but I know there's a wealth of knowledge and information here.

Um, have you tried Korg ?

Website even senses your location and gives you the Connatct tab for
your local distributor.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

Yes. First place I tried,in fact.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

Geoff, thanks for the response. Yes, I tried korg, and had no luck there.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

Geoff, thanks for the response. Yes, I tried korg.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Joseph wrote:
Geoff, thanks for the response. Yes, I tried korg.

Most knobs for consumer equipment are custom-made by the manufacturer, so
unless you go to the manufacturer you'll never find an exact replacement.
If that is out, your next step is looking through knob catalogues for something
that will fit and not look too out of place. What is the shaft diameter?
Is it solid, D-shaped, or splined? What diameter was the knob, about?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/07/2017 14:02, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
Joseph wrote:
Geoff, thanks for the response. Yes, I tried korg.

Most knobs for consumer equipment are custom-made by the manufacturer, so
unless you go to the manufacturer you'll never find an exact replacement.
If that is out, your next step is looking through knob catalogues for something
that will fit and not look too out of place. What is the shaft diameter?
Is it solid, D-shaped, or splined? What diameter was the knob, about?
--scott

Just a random possibility, if there is an old one available for
scanning, even if it's broken, how about getting a new one 3D printed?
It won't be cheap, but if the alternative is a piece of gear you can't
use, the price may start looking more reasonable.

Windows 10 actually has a program built in where you can upload a
pattern and get a 3D print back.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/4/2017 6:33 PM, Joseph wrote:
The LCD contrast knob has broken off, leaving it unreadable. I was hoping someone could help me find a replacement knob.

Your description ("broken OFF") suggests that it may not be a knob
that's broken, but that the shaft of the pot that the knob controls is
what's broken. Is that the case, or is there a shaft sticking up and
there is indeed a knob missing? If it's the pot shaft that's broken off,
a proper repair is to replace the pot. But if there's anything left, you
may be able to turn the shaft using long nose pliers and get the display
visible again.

If you're not sure what the broken part is, can you take a REALLY good
photo - close up and well lighted - so those of us who don't have an X2
can see what you actually need? You can't attach a photo to a message in
this newsgroup, you need to upload it to a hosting web site like
photobucket.com and post the link to the photo.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/07/2017 5:31 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/4/2017 6:33 PM, Joseph wrote:
The LCD contrast knob has broken off, leaving it unreadable. I was
hoping someone could help me find a replacement knob.

Your description ("broken OFF") suggests that it may not be a knob
that's broken, but that the shaft of the pot that the knob controls is
what's broken. Is that the case, or is there a shaft sticking up and
there is indeed a knob missing?

Could even be a digital encoder. If there if a stub of a shaft showing
(or even flush) one could drill a hole in it , just sufficient to take a
small screw which at a pinch would enable turning of the control.

Or with a Dremel or similar, grind a 'screwdriver-slot' into the shaft end.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zyMw85coKG9TvoGo1

hopefully this will give you enough information.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

https://photos.app.goo.gl/igjKTpDW7MNfVCUo2

another view
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joseph wrote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zyMw85coKG9TvoGo1

hopefully this will give you enough information.

Oh, the pot's totally gone.

Can you see what the value on the pot is? I'd just replace it with a
generic one of a similar size; it doesn't have to fit perfectly since it
isn't something that is going to get constant use. It does need to be
the correct value, though.

Those boards are kind of delicate; if you're using a Soladpulit be very
careful.