Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default Sony c38b current production

I've made known my opinion that the Gefell M930 is one of the greatest mics ever made. I haven't used their UMT70, but Paul Hennerich, who engineers the St. Louis Symphony broadcast, swears by his, and I value his ears. Besides, it's the most affordable way you can get the original Neumann M7 capsule, which is good for some bragging rights with clients.

You also might want to check out the Neumann TLM 102. It's a remarkable microphone at an unusually affordable price.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

PStamler writes:

I've made known my opinion that the Gefell M930 is one of the greatest mics=
ever made. I haven't used their UMT70, but Paul Hennerich, who engineers t=
he St. Louis Symphony broadcast, swears by his, and I value his ears. Besid=
es, it's the most affordable way you can get the original Neumann M7 capsul=
e, which is good for some bragging rights with clients.

Yup, +1. I own three of the M930s and four of the M940s (hypers, with exceptional
pattern control), and have used the 70. They're all remarkable values. The 70 is
something of a U87 without so much coloration for 1/3-1/2 the price and in a much
sleeker package.

A Gefell "sleeper" is the M300 small diaphragm cardioide. It's creamy, reminds you
of a ribbon, but with more clarity. Great for strings and reeds, especially close
mic'd violins and violas, where one runs the risk of screetchy. M300 handles it
well.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:

A Gefell "sleeper" is the M300 small diaphragm cardioide. It's creamy, reminds you
of a ribbon, but with more clarity. Great for strings and reeds, especially close
mic'd violins and violas, where one runs the risk of screetchy. M300 handles it
well.

Is the M300 anything like the M294? I really, really liked the M294 which
sounds more like the old Schoeps 221 than most of the 221s left still do.
It's definitely not a sparkly mike, but it has good definition.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Gefell M930 (Was " Sony c38b current production")

PStamler wrote:

I've made known my opinion that the Gefell M930 is one of the greatest
mics ever made. I haven't used their UMT70, but Paul Hennerich, who
engineers the St. Louis Symphony broadcast, swears by his, and I value
his ears. Besides, it's the most affordable way you can get the
original Neumann M7 capsule, which is good for some bragging rights
with clients.

I recall your enthusiasm for that mic. I haven't used one yet, but you
piqued my curiosity again, and I went for a look.

Have you used one for vocals?

I am curious about the off-axis peak shown in under specification tab at
this page.

http://www.microtechgefell.de/index....dio-a-recordin
g/large-membrane-transistor-mics/211-m930

http://tinyurl.com/mt3294t

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

I am curious about the off-axis peak shown in under specification tab
at this page.

http://www.microtechgefell.de/index....dio-a-recordin
g/large-membrane-transistor-mics/211-m930

This one:

http://www.microtechgefell.de/index....ics/214-mt-71s

is the one I'd buy sight unheard if budget allowed it.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Oh, and a pair of M930s in ORTF as overheads give me the best drum sound I've ever hear, especially through a couple of Little Labs LMNOPres.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 10:30:14 AM UTC-6, PStamler wrote:
the best drum sound I've ever hear

Uh, heard.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler writes:

Oh, and a pair of M930s in ORTF as overheads give me the best drum sound I've ever
heard, especially through a couple of Little Labs LMNOPres.]

Something else about Gefells that gets overlooked -- the self noise of the 900
series is vanishingly low, which is quite nice for higher gain situations.

This was driven home during my location session this past Friday. Open the 940s on a
silent room and all you heard was silence. For grins, I also captured a pair of
house hanging mics (going through two unused channels of mt Grace M802)-- some
little diaphragm Shures or EVs. Apple to oranges in diaphragm size but sheesh!
Sounded like a sawmill of noise in comparison.

The Gefells are q u i e t.

Frank
Mobile Audio