Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Zoom H2n

[ This discussion is getting to be more about particular
bits of technology configuration rather than high-end
audio. People who wish to continue to discuss technology
are invited to move this thread to rec.audio.tech. -- dsr ]

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

Yes, the H2n has one external mike input, a stereo mini jack. That
is an EXCELLENT idea Jason. I have some Audio Technika mikes that I
could use for the front channels in XY or MS mode. I guess I could
even use them in my favorite 3 spaced omni configuration, mixed
down to 2 channels. Then the little Zoom's rear mikes could be
balanced with the front in editing with some cut and try on levels.
I must read more in my manual to see which side the external mikes
would sub for, and therefore how to proceed.

I have investigated the matter and found that yes, it will still
record in 4 channel surround mode with an external source plugged in.
My fear was that if you plugged in an external mike, it would force it
into 2 channel mode, but no, it still records all four. The external
subs for the XY input, which is strange, because that is the rear
channels when in surround mode. Pity, but all you do is turn the
recorder around so that the XY side is pointing to the front and the
MS toward the back.

This brings up a curious caution: If you pay attention to the
channelization of the external input, you notice that in surround
sound mode, if you were to orient your external microphone normally,
its channels would be fighting the rear (MS) channels in
directionality. This is because the MS is pointing backwards, which
reverses the channels compared to the front mikes. What you want is
for the Rs and Ls on both sides to match each other so that sounds
coming from the direct sides, Right and Left, will be picked up by the
same sides of the microphones, R and L. Bottom line, all you have to
do is reverse the channelization of the front (external) mikes in
order to make it correct for surround sound. You must then in editing
reverse both front and rear channelization to make everything correct
again.

Simple.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 09:17:40 -0800, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

I have investigated the matter and found that yes, it will still
record in 4 channel surround mode with an external source plugged in.

OK. How do you plug 4 external microphones into one 2-channel stereo
mini-jack?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 09:17:40 -0800, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

I have investigated the matter and found that yes, it will still
record in 4 channel surround mode with an external source plugged in.

OK. How do you plug 4 external microphones into one 2-channel stereo
mini-jack?

If I may answer and complete this thread -

The Zoom H2n has two internal stereo microphones, one pointing forward
and one back, for a 4 channel recorder all in one. When you use it in
its native (internal mikes) mode, the MS set points forward and
records the front channels. The XY mikes point aft and record the
surround sound. When in this mode the XY channelization is reversed
by design, for the reasons I pointed out in my previous post.

There is one stereo mini jack for external microphone. When you plug a
stereo mike in, it subs for the XY channels rather than the MS
channels, but the MS channels are still active and recording sound,
so you can still record surround sound with an external mike plugged
in. The trick as explained so carefully is that the channelization is
messed up, so you need a couple of workarounds. You will want the
external mikes to record the more important sound, the frontal
soundstage, so you simply turn the recorder around and let the MS
internals record the rear surround sound. A curious channelization
problem ensues, as previously explained.

I believe that all of this belongs in this group because it opens a
door to the capability of recording surround sound easily with the
Zoom and then encoding that into a playable CD with the software I
told you about. It belongs in Rec Audio High End because without
recordings there is no High End Audio. Surround sound recordings are
one step closer to the real thing. It is very exciting to me, and I
just wanted to share it.

Gary Eickmeier

Zoom H2n Gary Eickmeier High End Audio 5 March 1st 12 12:50 AM
Zoom H2? Bill Peters Pro Audio 3 December 14th 10 07:04 AM
Zoom H2 vs H4 Gregory[_7_] Pro Audio 5 March 21st 08 07:18 PM
I just got the Zoom H2 [email protected] Pro Audio 25 September 17th 07 10:39 PM
ZOOM 9 vs. Zoom 7.???? SSMusic[_2_] Pro Audio 0 May 28th 07 06:57 PM