Posted to rec.audio.pro
harry harry is offline

Default Unable to Burn WAV file as Audio CD

I have a number of WAV files obtained from various devices such as
Voice Recorders and a Music notation program. These play without any
problem but won't Burn as an Audio Cd from Windows Media Player or
some Burning programs .

I've found that if I load them into Media Player and play them they
will then burn. If I load them into Media Player and save them I can
Burn the saved version any CD Burner.

Any ideas on why they don't work without "doctoring"?

regards

Harry
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:19:24 +0000, harry wrote:

I have a number of WAV files obtained from various devices such as
Voice Recorders and a Music notation program. These play without any
problem but won't Burn as an Audio Cd from Windows Media Player or
some Burning programs .

I've found that if I load them into Media Player and play them they
will then burn. If I load them into Media Player and save them I can
Burn the saved version any CD Burner.

Any ideas on why they don't work without "doctoring"?

regards

Harry

A WAV file can contain all sorts of formats, only one of which will
burn straight to CD - linear PCM. When you load the file into Media
Player it gets decoded to the LPCM format which will burn nicely.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
swanny swanny is offline

On 2/11/2011 8:19 AM, harry wrote:
I have a number of WAV files obtained from various devices such as
Voice Recorders and a Music notation program. These play without any
problem but won't Burn as an Audio Cd from Windows Media Player or
some Burning programs .

I've found that if I load them into Media Player and play them they
will then burn. If I load them into Media Player and save them I can
Burn the saved version any CD Burner.

Any ideas on why they don't work without "doctoring"?

regards

Harry

Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message om, swanny
writes
Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

And stereo. Some of those recorders might record mono.

You are doing the right thing in re-saving from a program that converts
to the CD format, but be very wary of doing this in Windows 7 because of
the sample rate converter problems..
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Bill wrote:
In message om,
swanny writes
Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

And stereo. Some of those recorders might record mono.

You are doing the right thing in re-saving from a program that
converts to the CD format, but be very wary of doing this in Windows
7 because of the sample rate converter problems..

Or if you uase CD Architect you can chuck just about any format source file
on the timeline and burn them to CD without giving it a second thought., You
can also easily effect them individually or overall, fade them, level them,
move them around , cross-fade them, chop bits off, re-arrange the event or
bits thereof.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"geoff" writes:

Bill wrote:
In message om,
swanny writes
Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

And stereo. Some of those recorders might record mono.

You are doing the right thing in re-saving from a program that
converts to the CD format, but be very wary of doing this in Windows
7 because of the sample rate converter problems..

Or if you uase CD Architect you can chuck just about any format source file
on the timeline and burn them to CD without giving it a second thought., You
can also easily effect them individually or overall, fade them, level them,
move them around , cross-fade them, chop bits off, re-arrange the event or
bits thereof.

Is there a version of CDarch later than 5.2 that supports processing (EQ, comp, and
such) on individual components added to the project?

You can add a gain line and change levels any place you want, but I've only found
processing plug-ins as universal to the project.

Thanks,
Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:
"geoff" writes:

Bill wrote:
In message om,
swanny writes
[...]

Look harder - in 5.2d you get a little FX-chain icon bottom right of every
timeline event, as well as the over-all one on the Master. In fact that was
even the case in 5.0 !

The only drawback is that all the plugins are effectively using processing
power all the time, even on the not-current timeline event, so with a bunch
of heavy-cpu-load plugs and a weak-to-moderate Pentium CPU, realtime preview
can get a bit patchy.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"geoff" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
In message om,
swanny writes
Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

And stereo. Some of those recorders might record mono.

You are doing the right thing in re-saving from a program that
converts to the CD format, but be very wary of doing this in Windows
7 because of the sample rate converter problems..

Or if you uase CD Architect you can chuck just about any format source
file on the timeline and burn them to CD without giving it a second
thought., You can also easily effect them individually or overall, fade
them, level them, move them around , cross-fade them, chop bits off,
re-arrange the event or bits thereof.

At a far lower price, even the OEM version of Nero will convert files on the
fly so that they burn to a music CD.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Or if you uase CD Architect you can chuck just about any format source
file on the timeline and burn them to CD without giving it a second
thought., You can also easily effect them individually or overall, fade
them, level them, move them around , cross-fade them, chop bits off,
re-arrange the event or bits thereof.

At a far lower price, even the OEM version of Nero will convert files on the
fly so that they burn to a music CD.

I see some advantages of this for consumer use, but I find the notion of
transparent format conversion absolutely terrifying.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
harry harry is offline

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

"geoff" writes:

snips

You can add a gain line and change levels any place you want, but
I've only found processing plug-ins as universal to the project.

Look harder - in 5.2d you get a little FX-chain icon bottom right of every
timeline event, as well as the over-all one on the Master. In fact that was
even the case in 5.0 !

Really! How sweet is that?!

Thanks for the enlightment, Geoff! It's rare that I need to do this, but nice to
now know I can.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bill wrote:

In message om,
swanny writes

Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

And stereo. Some of those recorders might record mono.

You are doing the right thing in re-saving from a program that
converts to the CD format, but be very wary of doing this in Windows
7 because of the sample rate converter problems..

I tried making a CD with windows media player three times, first, only and
last, this because it had/has the default behavior of normalizing all
tracks. Not all that comes from we know best corporation is optimally
configured out of the shrinkwrap ... it is usually a very good idea to take
a tour of all settings and check the defaults and whether they should be
changed.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W[_3_] Phil W[_3_] is offline

Peter Larsen:

I tried making a CD with windows media player three times, first, only and
last, this because it had/has the default behavior of normalizing all
tracks.

At least in WMP 12 under Win7, you can switch that function off.
Extras - Options - Burning

IIRC iTunes has a similar function, though I´m not sure, if it´s active by
default.

Not all that comes from we know best corporation is optimally configured
out of the shrinkwrap ... it is usually a very good idea to take a tour of
all settings and check the defaults and whether they should be changed.

Very true! In my experience, that applies to *most* programs, no matter
which OS.