Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default MP3s And Other Digital Audio Files Mysteriously Shrinking!!

A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).

The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.

WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sep 28, 2:33*pm, ChrisCoaster wrote:
A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).

The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. *The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.

WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

-ChrisCoaster

_______________
Judging by the replies so far, I might as well have posted that my
cats have learned to speak the English language.

LMFAO!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote...

Judging by the replies so far, I might as well have posted that my
cats have learned to speak the English language.

When the cats learn to type, perhaps they could let us know...

How these audio files were produced.

Where you are storing these shrinking files: PC, mp3 player or ipod etc.

Which software/hardware you use to play them.

Whether you have applied any processing to them; normalization, sample
rate conversion, re-encoding etc.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Sep 29, 2:28*am, UnsteadyKen wrote:
*ChrisCoaster wrote...
Judging by the replies so far, I might as well have posted that my
cats have learned to speak the English language.

When the cats learn to type, perhaps they could let us know...

How these audio files were produced.

Where you are storing these shrinking files: PC, mp3 player or ipod etc.

Which software/hardware you use to play them.

*Whether you have applied any processing to them; normalization, sample
rate conversion, re-encoding etc.

--
Ken O'Mearahttp://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

Amazon, beemp3. Stored on a garden-variety hp pc, and leveled with
mp3gain. Played on an iPod touch 4 managed by the latest iTunes.
Pretty ho-hum chain if you ax me...

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote...

Stored on a garden-variety hp pc, and leveled with
mp3gain. Played on an iPod touch 4 managed by the latest iTunes.
Pretty ho-hum chain if you ax me...

Oh well, not got a clue about iPods. Do the files still play ok on the
PC?

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).

The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.

WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

Have the files been updated in any way?

Are they the same length in bytes as always?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sep 29, 10:00*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).

The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. *The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.

WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

Have the files been updated in any way?

Are they the same length in bytes as always?

_____________________
Unsteady: Nope - first 10 sec plays on PC as well as on iPod.

Arny: Updated: Not as far as I knowd Length: Did not notice
length in bytes(size?) - just the length in min:sec.

It's happening slowly, like they are somehow "eroding". Every once in
a while a song file completely VANISHES from the PC and the player.
All I know is, I've got a lot of CDs to start burning b4 my entire
collection disappears!!

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote...

It's happening slowly, like they are somehow "eroding". Every once in
a while a song file completely VANISHES from the PC and the player.
All I know is, I've got a lot of CDs to start burning b4 my entire
collection disappears!!

Could it be that the Stop Start times info in the tracks is being
corrupted somehow?
http://www.macworld.com/article/1348...startstop.html

Perhaps your iPod is haunted:-(

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
On Sep 29, 10:00 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).

The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.

WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

Have the files been updated in any way?

Are they the same length in bytes as always?

_____________________
Unsteady: Nope - first 10 sec plays on PC as well as on iPod.

Arny: Updated: Not as far as I knowd Length: Did not notice
length in bytes(size?) - just the length in min:sec.

If your music files are all coded at similar bitrates and in similar
formats, then the quotient between mm:ss length and length in bytes is
pretty constant.

It's happening slowly, like they are somehow "eroding".

Sounds like a sick hard drive.

Every once in

a while a song file completely VANISHES from the PC and the player.

If they vanish in synch, then the problem more likely to be a software
problem.

All I know is, I've got a lot of CDs to start burning b4 my
entirecollection disappears!!

Burning to DVDs in data format might be a favorable available option.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sep 29, 10:00 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote: "ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

[...]

________________________
I just don't know what is perpetrating this. I found this article
http://www.macworld.com/article/1348...startstop.html
about how "Start and Stop" times can either really make your day or
can actually be a powerful ally(as in the case of ringtones). But it
would take me a month to check every song in my iTunes(assuming being
at it for 5 hours per day, to make sure start/stop times are unchecked
on every song. And the funny part of it is these songs that suddenly
end in the middle are both on my PC harddrive and in iTunes. So again
I don't know who is the aggressor here.

DVD? Arny we're talking music here - I want it in a common format. I
have 2,200 songs = avg 15 per CD = 147 CDs!! Podcasts, avg length
20min, 2 to 3 per CD, 290podcasts = 90+ CDs just for those. The great
solar storm of Dec. 2012 will have come and gone before I get them all
copied!!!

-ChrisCoaster

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article
,
ChrisCoaster wrote:

--snippage --

DVD? Arny we're talking music here - I want it in a common format. I
have 2,200 songs = avg 15 per CD = 147 CDs!! Podcasts, avg length
20min, 2 to 3 per CD, 290podcasts = 90+ CDs just for those. The great
solar storm of Dec. 2012 will have come and gone before I get them all
copied!!!

If you haven't been running regular backups -- not just of your music,
but of the entire drive the files are on -- you might give some thought
to starting Real Soon Now.

Isaac
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Sep 30, 12:02*am, isw wrote:
In article
,

*ChrisCoaster wrote:

--snippage --

DVD? *Arny we're talking music here - I want it in a common format. *I
have 2,200 songs = avg 15 per CD = 147 CDs!! *Podcasts, avg length
20min, 2 to 3 per CD, 290podcasts = 90+ CDs just for those. *The great
solar storm of Dec. 2012 will have come and gone before I get them all
copied!!!

If you haven't been running regular backups *-- not just of your music,
but of the entire drive the files are on -- you might give some thought
to starting Real Soon Now.

Isaac

______________
Ahead of you on that, I-man.
All my xl word ppt files, photos.

By the way, here's the jawdropper - the harddrive is a new
replacement, two months ago, with system restore.

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:

A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).

The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.

WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

Virus comes to mind.

-ChrisCoaster

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sep 30, 9:42*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
A Genesis track that clocked in at over 4 minutes is now only
0:10(plays the first 10 sec).
The same thing happened to a Rihanna and a Fleetwood Mac song on my
computer. *The Rihanna played the first 30 sec.
WTF is going on with my music collection??!?

Virus comes to mind.

-ChrisCoaster

* Kind regards

* Peter Larsen

__________________________
IT'S GETTING OUT OF HAND!!!!! (peter i'm not yelling at you or any
one)
YESTERDAY I RE-RIPPED MY ENTIRE COLLECTION OF HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH
SONGS, METICULOUSLY ENTERED THE CORRECT DATA, AND COPIED THEM TO THE
FOLDERS I USE FOR MY I-TOUCH, AND MY PC PLAYLISTS.

THIS MORNING, ALL THE META DATA HAS REVERTED TO WHAT WAS ON THE OLD
HOOTIE FILES I DELETED!!!!! SHOULD BE: "Hold My Hand" "Hootie & The
Blowfish" "Cracked Rear View" "1994" IS BACK TO "Hold My Hand"
"Hootie and the Blowfish" "Best Of" "1999"!!!!! ONLY THE BITRATE I
RIPPED THEM AT IS CORRECT. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!! IT HAS
REVERTED ON MY PC, MY BACKUP DRIVE, AND MY iPOD!!!

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:

THIS MORNING, ALL THE META DATA HAS REVERTED TO WHAT WAS ON THE OLD

I personally and unscientifically include media players that default to
updating from the web in the definition of vira, they can however generally
be re-educated by a change of well hidden and often "advanced" settings.

kind regards

Peter Larsen

HOOTIE FILES I DELETED!!!!! SHOULD BE: "Hold My Hand" "Hootie & The
Blowfish" "Cracked Rear View" "1994" IS BACK TO "Hold My Hand"
"Hootie and the Blowfish" "Best Of" "1999"!!!!! ONLY THE BITRATE I
RIPPED THEM AT IS CORRECT. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!! IT HAS
REVERTED ON MY PC, MY BACKUP DRIVE, AND MY iPOD!!!

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sep 30, 10:23*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
THIS MORNING, ALL THE META DATA HAS REVERTED TO WHAT WAS ON THE OLD

I personally and unscientifically include media players that default to
updating from the web in the definition of vira, they can however generally
be re-educated by a change of well hidden and often "advanced" settings.

* kind regards

* Peter Larsen

HOOTIE FILES I DELETED!!!!! *SHOULD BE: "Hold My Hand" *"Hootie & The
Blowfish" "Cracked Rear View" "1994" *IS BACK TO "Hold My Hand"
"Hootie and the Blowfish" "Best Of" "1999"!!!!! *ONLY THE BITRATE I
RIPPED THEM AT IS CORRECT. *I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!! *IT HAS
REVERTED ON MY PC, MY BACKUP DRIVE, AND MY iPOD!!!

-CC- Hide quoted text -

___________________________
You aren't telling me anything I don't know. I have as much stuff in
iTunes and Windows Media Player set to Manual as I possibly can! I'm
on a sinking ship here, all the lifeboats are tilted outward for
evacuation and its going down fast!!!

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote...

Windows Media Player set to Manual

I use WMP 11 and the CD database is hopeless, especially for classical
music, and it's very US biased, it keeps telling me that my UK and
European CD's are imports:-( and I end up using Exact Audio Copy for
most stuff these days. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

I also had problems with the auto update of media info, My setup in
Options a
"Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet"
unchecked,
"Only add missing information"
Checked
"Overwrite all media information"
Unchecked

and it seems to behave itself now.

I may end up ripping all my cd's again as when I started I was a bit
short on disc space (60Gb) and used 192kbps, so I may do them all over
again using EAC and 320kbps or FLAC.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Sep 30, 11:26*am, UnsteadyKen wrote:
*ChrisCoaster wrote...
[...]

__________________
I've unchecked ALL of those options in WMP all of them. And the more
I uncheck the longer it takes WMP to load up! This is both before my
harddrive incident in July and after it.

Something else I hinted at but did not succinctly mention: I have my
music collection in: two separate folders on both my harddrive and on
my backup. Podcast files: two separate folders on my harddrive and on
my backup. The music and podcasts of course are in iTunes. So that's
6 places where each of thousands of files resides. Are these folders
somehow talking to each other and sharing/deleting/otherwise ****ING
with the meta data(song title, artist, album, track#, etc)??

-ChrisCoaster

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:

On Sep 30, 11:26 am, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Something else I hinted at but did not succinctly mention: I have my
music collection in: two separate folders on both my harddrive and on
my backup. Podcast files: two separate folders on my harddrive and on
my backup. The music and podcasts of course are in iTunes. So that's
6 places where each of thousands of files resides. Are these folders
somehow talking to each other and sharing/deleting/otherwise ****ING
with the meta data(song title, artist, album, track#, etc)??

Read up on the itunes virus from "we know better than the ones that know
best" brand, it may come with library syncronisation. Worst case: you have a
virus that deletes or messes with media files AND library syncronisation
from some media archive software that propagates "newest change" to keep the
entire library in sync.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

-ChrisCoaster

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_2_] ~misfit~[_2_] is offline

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Larsen wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:

On Sep 30, 11:26 am, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Something else I hinted at but did not succinctly mention: I have my
music collection in: two separate folders on both my harddrive and
on my backup. Podcast files: two separate folders on my harddrive
and on my backup. The music and podcasts of course are in iTunes. So
that's 6 places where each of thousands of files resides. Are
these folders somehow talking to each other and
sharing/deleting/otherwise ****ING with the meta data(song title,
artist, album, track#, etc)??

Read up on the itunes virus from "we know better than the ones that
know best" brand, it may come with library syncronisation. Worst
case: you have a virus that deletes or messes with media files AND
library syncronisation from some media archive software that
propagates "newest change" to keep the entire library in sync.

FWIW I rip/ripped all of my CDs to FLAC for archival purposes, stored on two
seperate HDDs, one internal and an external. *Then* I converted the tracks
to 320bps mp3s and I play those using either Winamp with StereoTool (for
on-the-fly equalisation of track volume) if I'm listening to the collection
on random or either VLC or FOOBAR to listen to albums.

I used EAC for the ripping and the computer/s I use/d isn't connected to teh
intarwebs. Ripped on a big old desktop and have a ~2006 laptop as the mp3
player. All track info input by hand. You get what you pay for.....
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)