Posted to rec.audio.pro
SSMusic[_3_] SSMusic[_3_] is offline

Default Graphite For Sliders???

Graphite For Sliders???
I seem to quiet noisy sliders on my old mixer using Graphite dry
lubricant.
Any thoughts? Any adverse effects?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

SSMusic wrote:
Graphite For Sliders???
I seem to quiet noisy sliders on my old mixer using Graphite dry
lubricant.
Any thoughts? Any adverse effects?

It's generally not a good idea.
But what IS a good idea depends a lot on what kind of sliders your console
has.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

White Castle would not approve!

Graphite is a conductor. If it winds up "lubricating" the resistance
element, you could have problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSMusic wrote:
Graphite For Sliders???
I seem to quiet noisy sliders on my old mixer using Graphite dry
lubricant.
Any thoughts? Any adverse effects?

It's generally not a good idea.
But what IS a good idea depends a lot on what kind of sliders your
console has.
--scott

They make a spray can of stuff that works pretty well for that. It's not
WD-40, but it is a similar stuff.....I think I have a can of it around here
somewhere.....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Bill Graham wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSMusic wrote:
Graphite For Sliders???
I seem to quiet noisy sliders on my old mixer using Graphite dry
lubricant.
Any thoughts? Any adverse effects?

It's generally not a good idea.
But what IS a good idea depends a lot on what kind of sliders your
console has.
--scott

They make a spray can of stuff that works pretty well for that. It's not
WD-40, but it is a similar stuff.....I think I have a can of it around here
somewhere.....

Read once more what Scott wrote. What kind of sliders are we talking
about?

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee sTeeVee is offline

On Jan 25, 1:01*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:

--
shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.htmlhttp://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidriAlrichwithDougHarman- Hide quoted text -

Caig Industries makes a great product called Cramolin contact cleaner.
What you want is cleaning and lubrication that is not conductive (that
*is* dielectric [that is - insulating] )

DON'T use graphite! DO use a lubricating contact cleaner that is safe
for plastics. DO use it in a well-ventilated area, unless inhaling
aerosol products is part of your daily routine ;=0

Have fun.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Bill Graham wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSMusic wrote:
Graphite For Sliders???
I seem to quiet noisy sliders on my old mixer using Graphite dry
lubricant.
Any thoughts? Any adverse effects?

It's generally not a good idea.
But what IS a good idea depends a lot on what kind of sliders your
console has.

They make a spray can of stuff that works pretty well for that. It's not
WD-40, but it is a similar stuff.....I think I have a can of it around here
somewhere.....

It is a very, very bad idea to go around just spraying stuff into faders
if you don't know what kind of faders they are.

Cailube or the like is a great idea on actual resistive elements, but if
you have some of those crappy mackie-grade faders that use the top of the
fader as the sliding rail, using cailube to excess will remove the lube
from the top of the fader, making the problem worse. If the problem is
that the lube up there has gunked up, you need to address that problem.

If on the other hand you have a Penny and Giles fader or an API fader with
open rails, you need to clean the rails with alcohol and grease them with
a light instrument oil.

There are a lot of different kinds of faders of different construction and
they have different problems. There is no one universal fix.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

sTeeVee wrote:

Caig Industries makes a great product called Cramolin contact cleaner.
What you want is cleaning and lubrication that is not conductive (that
*is* dielectric [that is - insulating] )

No. Cramolin is made by Cramolin Industries in Germany. Caig used to import
it but they stopped doing so a decade ago and it is no longer available in
the US.

Caig does make Cailube which is sort of like Cramolin Red with a different
vehicle and some added light oil.

DON'T use graphite! DO use a lubricating contact cleaner that is safe
for plastics. DO use it in a well-ventilated area, unless inhaling
aerosol products is part of your daily routine ;=3D0

Maybe, or maybe not. Don't just go spraying crap into faders until you
figure out what kind of fader it is and what is wrong with it.

Cramolin, Cailube, Quietrole, and Electrolube are all good and useful
products, but you can't just use them with abandon. With a lot of
faders you are better off just cleaning the resistive surface with a
dry q-tip.

For many faders, noise is a sign that the resistive element or the contact
has worn out. For professional faders like P&G types, parts are available
to rebuild them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Cramolin, Cailube, Quietrole, and Electrolube are all good
and useful products, but you can't just use them with abandon.

Okay. Then what music would you recommend be playing when you do use them?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Cramolin, Cailube, Quietrole, and Electrolube are all good
and useful products, but you can't just use them with abandon.

Okay. Then what music would you recommend be playing when you do use them?

Why, the Electric Slide of course!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bill Graham wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSMusic wrote:
[...]

Yeah...That's the stuff I was talking about. It has a "CR" on the can. It
works on all the pots and sliders I have ever seen in my entire life.....

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Cramolin, Cailube, Quietrole, and Electrolube are all good
and useful products, but you can't just use them with abandon.

Okay. Then what music would you recommend be playing when you do use
them?

Have you heard Abandon's latest CD?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bill Graham wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSMusic wrote:
[...]

It is no longer available in the US. Lookfor DeOxit, _if the faders are
of an appropriate type_. (You have probably missed a few types of faders
along the way. See Mr. Dorsey's remarks.)

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ostytwo@gmail.com is offline

The problem might not be th contact on the carbon element, buy the OTHER contact which is on the unit. I found this out on many rheostats. Everybody thinks its the sliding contact on the on the resistive element, but I fount it to be on the other end, a slider, or ringed contact, usually made of metal.